Author Topic: AIW 2 Is a GO  (Read 9481 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: AIW 2 Is a GO
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 07:34:03 pm »
Congrats! Shame it stopped so close but still short of the super weapons, that looked cool.

We got 'em!  Paypal backers pushed us over by an extra $90 as of the time of the campaign closing, and it's grown even a bit more since then. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 07:39:16 pm »
Congrats! Shame it stopped so close but still short of the super weapons, that looked cool.

We got 'em!  Paypal backers pushed us over by an extra $90 as of the time of the campaign closing, and it's grown even a bit more since then. :)

Even if it hadn't I would have made sure to bump my pledge a few bucks post-KS (less than $100) and kept the same pledge level and/or talked to Chris about it (cough, I'm really looking at also wanting to name a merc squad because of an idea I had about two hours ago).

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 07:56:51 pm »
Cheers. :)

And yep, addons on backerkit can raise any old amount of money people want them to.  Plus people who are late-backing.  I only partially have that set up thus far (the big three items in terms of getting the game itself in whichever stage), but I'm working on getting the rest of that set up: https://aiwar2.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

It's a super cool system, actually, on backerkit.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 10:21:26 pm »
Congrats on the project funding guys! Look forward to seeing how this develops.

A little bit of a shame the last stretch goal didn't get met (personally, I was looking forward to solar systems more than interplanetary weapons), but hey 4 of 5 is really dang good. Plus, un-met stretch goals make great expansion material. ;)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 09:35:57 am »
Thank you very much!

We actually started out with only 3 stretch goals listed, then added a fourth, then a fifth, so there was always going to be "a last one that wasn't met," whatever the item was, heh.  We had another half-dozen things that would have made great stretch goals, and that will work well for that or expansions or whatever in the future.  So many possibilities now that the core is funded! :)

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 03:59:39 pm »
*pops in*

Good to see that we've got a few of the stretch goals covered. I like the star system idea from the first KS, but yeah I can't sink $15K by myself. ;p Will see what kind of continued support comes in on Backerkit, I guess?

Also, merry Christmas.

Offline Chthon

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 06:16:03 pm »
I've been trying to interest some Twitch.tv streamers in this like DarkTwinge, and LlamaChomp. They play strategy games. Then again I will have 3 extra keys it seems despite not really needing them. Maybe I'll gift them a copy once it's playable. This would get your game attention on the Twitch and  Youtube communities I would think.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 07:29:21 pm »
Merry Christmas!  And yep, we've been working on getting both preorder/continued-funding stuff set up on backerkit, as well as general add-ons for existing backers.  The setup there was a lot more extensive than I had previously planned, but I'm quite pleased with the end result of it.  I'll have to explain some of the rationale behind various changes that we made to the addon selection that is available, but basically we found we had some added flexibility financially and structurally, so we decided to take advantage of it to offer more than we previously could.  https://aiwar2.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Prices are equivalent to the kickstarter goals, minus the "cumulative weight of things prior to them," so it's more of an a la carte setup.  This is only possible since we're able to separate out things that contribute to the stretch goals (and by how much), versus how much fulfillment cost there is on the specific item in question.  Something we couldn't do during kickstarter itself.

It makes it so that the overall stretch goal funding will be a little more staggered from what it says on that linked page, but that's already true since it doesn't include paypal pledges.  So we'll have to have a spreadsheet we run periodically which gives us a total backed via various sources, and then a "total applied toward stretch goals" bit.  And then the things that don't apply to stretch goals almost universally add something to the game itself in a smaller fashion (new ark design, new lore, new music track, whatever).  The exception being the multiplayer with Keith, but that's a bit of an odd duck of an item.

I'm going to have to do a fuller post about what the rationale is on that page and how it all works, but if there are preliminary questions that you have that might help me craft that post.  Mostly we're not going to be emphasizing that page until after the kickstarter fund-collection period is finished (start of January) and we send out the surveys.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 01:15:26 pm »

This is a really cool tidbit, and I hope you emphasize it on your next email blast in January. It gives a really satisfying feeling know that goal has been hit and how close it was so that I can take credit that my gift helped it get there. /intentional narcissism

It will be a great lead in to the next blast to see "hey, we did it once! Now buy what you may have missed and maybe we will get even further!"
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 03:42:46 pm »
That is a really good point!  It really does go to show just how down to the wire it was. :)

I'll be sure to put that in the email blast that goes out before the surveys in early January.  Thanks!

Offline Lakshata

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 10:49:01 am »
So I told my friend he was getting an alpha key since I was a backer tier that got two. His response was "I play paradox games, I'm ready to playtest a buggy early access game" so I got a chuckle out of that.

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 02:43:47 pm »
The ones I have played haven't seemed to be very buggy. Though I do have to deal with the problem where sometimes they add an expansion then make it where the game doesn't work very well without it due to content from the free patches.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk