Author Topic: AI War 2 - Alpha 0.505 - Part 1 - Programming and Art: Build Menu Icons  (Read 2354 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III

A lengthy look with me at how to set up new GUI prefabs and then use them in code.  This is shown while setting up the build menu to look better/clearer.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Re: AI War 2 - Alpha 0.505 - Part 1 - Programming and Art: Build Menu Icons
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 11:21:39 am »
I think this looks like a great start. A couple comments.

First, for novice players it won't be immediately obvious what the different icons mean, so we need some mechanism for allowing them to quickly check what ships/turrets/structures correspond to which icons. Advanced players who want to be reminded of the stats of a unit have the same issue. Hovertext? Something else?

Second, it would be nice if this would also tell me how many of a given unit I have and how many more I can build. As an example, lets say I have a planet that is about to become a battleground and I have already built my full Power Cap of turrets. So I build the structure that converts metal income to power for this planet, then I want to say "Alright, how many more of each turret can I build?" Another example is that right now it's not obvious how to check how many bombers I have across my empire.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 11:26:20 am »
It already does hovertext, but it was just being obscured by the buttons as a bug previously.  Keith has mostly fixed that.

Regarding showing counts, what we used to do in Classic was show a count of how many more you could build.  I'm not sure which is better -- though with the extra width that we have now, we could potentially do something like "5 / 100" or something.  But what does that mean?  5 out of 100 have been built?  95 out of 100 have been built?

I guess for someone new coming in and seeing 0/100 and 0/10 and so forth all over the place, that would clear it up.

Anyhow, I bequeath that entire issue to someone else. ;)  It's a good one for mantis or similar, but it's out of the scope of what I was brought in to do as a hired gun on those buttons, haha.  I'm mostly keeping my head out of the interface except where it relates to the graphics pipeline.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 10:16:59 pm »
To me 5/100 will always mean 'you have 5'/'you can have 100'... if that helps any.
... and then we'll have cake.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 10:36:14 am »
To me 5/100 will always mean 'you have 5'/'you can have 100'... if that helps any.

That does help -- thanks!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 10:38:34 am »
Yeah, I agree with that. If you put the cap in the hovertext then you could even say "X of Y"; "5 of 100" would make it really obvious.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 10:40:19 am »
Good point!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk