Author Topic: Modding icons?  (Read 2849 times)

Offline kmunoz

• Jr. Member Mark III
Modding icons?
« on: October 18, 2018, 10:30:31 pm »
Is it possible to mod the icons? And if so, is anyone planning to do so?

I find the icons incredibly off-putting. They look like they belong in a Teletubbies game.

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
Re: Modding icons?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 03:50:46 pm »
Is it possible to mod the icons?

Go to [SteamInstallDirectory]/AIWar2/GameData/ExternalIcons/. That should be all of them, with instructions on how to mod them.
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline kmunoz

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 01:43:46 am »
Hmmm... the instructions there are super opaque, and I don't see any ship icons, except in AIW2ModdingAndGUI/Assets/Icons.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 12:15:31 pm »
Hmmm... the instructions there are super opaque, and I don't see any ship icons, except in AIW2ModdingAndGUI/Assets/Icons.

That's because you can't mod the ship icons unless you open the entire project in Unity...

Start Unity Personal
Point it to
AI War 2\AIW2ModdingAndGUI
Wait 6 minutes or so for it to load all of the dependencies
Then you load
# Assets > Icons > OfficialGUI > GUISHIPS_Borders

And despair

Because now you can see the icons here

(On your drive where AI War is installed, in file explorer, not within Unity)
AI War 2\AIW2ModdingAndGUI\Assets\Icons\OfficialGUI\GUIShipsWhite
AI War 2\AIW2ModdingAndGUI\Assets\Icons\OfficialGUI\GUIShips_Borders

Now in theory you can change them easily

But at the end you get a huh.unitypackage (if you only export the chosen assets via the export function of Unity) file and I got zero clue what to do with that... I want to get an assets file that I could edit, but how the heavens do I get my 2 edited materials to be in 1 and for the game to load it?

I can make what I have attached here, but I can't make the game use that in any way (and building the project would entirely defeat the idea of an ASSETS mod) (instead of a PACKAGE mod)

Am honestly totally 100% confused now.

The attached file is what I ended up with when exporting from the loaded project, includes changed icon for metal for giggles, but I can't figure out what to do now.

In fact after watching the tutorial video about it I have no Assets export tab nor button anywhere as shown in the video.

Ps.: Also the EXTERNALICONS thing in GameData is even more confusing, how would I make a sprite dictionary and more importantly WITH WHAT? And does that mean I have to redistribute ALL icons when I only change 2?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:01:58 pm by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk