Author Topic: The return of space tugs: repairable golems and salvageable AI husks  (Read 9813 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: The return of space tugs: “Immortal” Player Starships and Golems
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 04:58:39 pm »
Okay, major rewrite to that section: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IdzU90psGas_3UFe23BLvsGQ8fclec49NmnbHfwkZ8w/edit#heading=h.2qxiu8a6iavu

4.d. The Return of Space Tugs

Should be more palatable now?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: The return of space tugs: repairable golems and salvageable AI husks
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 05:01:31 pm »
:)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 05:22:37 pm »
Perfect.
(Purr-fect!?)
Also
Don't Panic![/url]
I want there to be a "mostly harmless" hidden in the doc somewhere.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
Re: The return of space tugs: “Immortal” Player Starships and Golems
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 06:30:14 pm »
Okay, major rewrite to that section: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IdzU90psGas_3UFe23BLvsGQ8fclec49NmnbHfwkZ8w/edit#heading=h.2qxiu8a6iavu

4.d. The Return of Space Tugs

Should be more palatable now?
Hang on, doesn't this belong in "Notable returning mechanics"?  :P

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 06:40:09 pm »
This sounds pretty cool. :)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 06:47:56 pm »
If you go to an AI planet, lose your fleet, but complete an important objective that results in a lot of husks of large AI objectives, then hooray you scored yourself a metal bonus to make the refleeting faster.  That in turn makes for some more nuanced decisions of what you target first on AI planets: the little guys shooting you, or the big things that will score you metal if you get them.  Depends on if you’re taking multiple runs at the planet, kinda.
I think this is great because it encourages a continuous progression through the game. Basically, the kind of targets which grant you a boost of metal are like the same kind of targets which will increase your AIP significantly.

So while the game becomes harder, the player is compensated with the ability to refleet quickly, and progress to the next objective where, if successful, will be rewarded again. In this fashion, the pace of the game can be handled at a much greater rate.

However, I'm concerned that this mechanic still does not prevent stalemates. If the player loses their fleet, but does not complete an important objective, nothing is stopping them from rebuilding their fleet the long way. If the AI had no incentive to take advantage of this glaring weakness in the player's defense, and the AIP was not rising during the time the player was rebuilding, there would essentially be no punishment for losing your fleet except being bored to death for the time it takes to rebuild it.

In other words, with the current system I do like the rewards, but perhaps we still need to work out a way that the AI can be smart about taking advantage of a player's mistakes.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Salamander

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 08:38:09 am »
As the unofficial lobbyist for space tugs and autocannon minipods, I really like this idea for the tugs and it adds more variety to the game play which increases interest in the game and replayability.

It requires planning and thought to pull this off and golems are worth that risk. Would it apply to any other expensive/large ships besides the golems? I know the golems would be job#1 but perhaps it could be used for other valuable assets.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk