Author Topic: So, this whole crystal thing  (Read 33089 times)

Offline Histidine

Re: So, this whole crystal thing
« Reply #255 on: April 09, 2013, 11:40:02 am »
I propose Artillery Golems at 10,000 km.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #256 on: April 09, 2013, 11:41:49 am »
I propose Artillery Golems at 10,000 km.
I figured we could get Faulty's signature to officiate, actually.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Vyndicu

« Reply #257 on: April 09, 2013, 04:38:13 pm »
I just pretty much turned on all the minor factions and started playing.
Tutorial by fire.

I do enjoy being on FIRE!

Offline Winge

« Reply #258 on: April 09, 2013, 05:30:31 pm »
Anyway...

When you guys are finished with all that, we can get back to discussing potential changes.  I'd much rather chat about the economics we have here than the armor changes :)

Sure.

Anything that removes conversions causes headaches for me. The more lopsided units are, the more headaches are caused. Meaning if everything was 50/50, it would still cause headaches, but having varying units would cause more headaches.

These changes need to part of a larger goal. That something becomes better. Really better. More opportunities for unique units. Or something. Something that can only be unlocked because of all these changes, something that cannot be used with the current system.

If it can be shown that the headaches generated is overcome by increasing the toolkit of the player, then I'll be considering it. If it simply just makes things "less good", via difficulty, bookkeeping, nerfing, constraining, etc, then I won't like it.

By removing conversions, I'm guessing you don't mean merging metal and crystal together?  IE, a fighter before cost 100m, 100c, it would then cost 200m, the current crystal asteroids would become metal, and crystal would be handled in an entirely different manner?

In any case, I agree with Chemical_Art's opinion of the change.  There needs to be some benefit to the player when adding a capturable or some other resource.  Limiting access to higher-tech units or starships isn't the right answer, in my opinion (we have caps, Fact IVs, ASCs, Knowledge, and energy for that...if we need more, I think we are overlooking some fundamental problem or making an assumption that we haven't checked).  I do kind of like the original idea that Keith mentioned of a builder that grants special units, with the only caveat being that the mines should be indestructible/rebuildable, and should work like Spire Shipyards for 'special unit caps'.  That said, there were quite a few other interesting ideas as well.

Perhaps we should give it a bit more thought (probably a few weeks...enough time to actually play through a few full games), and then treat it like the best/worst ship polls:  brainstorm, nominate and review for a few rounds.  Then create a poll with everything that survives the dev check, and see what ideas come to the top.  Does that seem like a reasonable path-forward?
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #259 on: April 09, 2013, 05:41:02 pm »
Perhaps we should give it a bit more thought (probably a few weeks...enough time to actually play through a few full games), and then treat it like the best/worst ship polls:  brainstorm, nominate and review for a few rounds.  Then create a poll with everything that survives the dev check, and see what ideas come to the top.  Does that seem like a reasonable path-forward?
Well, between this thread and the armor thread I think I distracted people enough to sneak this one through without the customary opposition (I jest).  It's looking like we'll actually move forward with that one.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ZaneWolfe

« Reply #260 on: April 10, 2013, 04:33:08 am »
On the cheat issue, more than a few times I have thought to make an AAR about my games, but always refrained from doing so for the simple grounds that I am cheating. Would there be any thing against the rules about posting one? And if not, would anyone even care? Or, as I have feared, would the reactions be "Meh, you're a cheater so I am going to either ignore you or criticize you  for not playing fairly" ?
Go ahead and post it, just make sure when you note the game settings you include so the rest of us know what is going on.
A 'Cheat' in AI War has a different meaning then 'Cheat' in other games. Because you don't play against other people in AI War, cheating is simply methods the developer has given us to skew the game, essentially they told us "here, have fun breaking the game".
As compared to other games where cheating grants you an advantage over another player somehow.
The resources thing is no worse then putting some of the player-friendly minor factions up at intensity 10 I would think.
D.

Duly noted. I will probably start one up here shortly. Quick question. How do you screenshot? Print Screen didn't seem to let me copy the screen, but that could just be an local issue with my comp.

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #261 on: April 10, 2013, 04:37:40 am »
f12 i think.
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline ZaneWolfe

« Reply #262 on: April 10, 2013, 04:56:04 am »
f12 i think.

Thank you. And they get saved in the AI War folder I gather?

Offline Winge

« Reply #263 on: April 10, 2013, 09:28:59 am »
f12 i think.

Thank you. And they get saved in the AI War folder I gather?

[AI War Folder]\Runtime Data\Screenshots.  You can also remap the screenshot key if you don't like it, or if you use something else to take screenshots (eg Fraps).  As RCIX mentioned, F12 is the default key.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #264 on: April 10, 2013, 10:09:44 am »
Oh hey, this is now a CSG/first impressions thread!

When i first played, i actually consulted with the "objectives" screen alot, checking what i need to do. CSG's filled the screen with many points, so i guess they helped me get the direction. My biggest problem was that i had no idea if i was ready to attack AIHWs or not.

Though i liked them more when i thought they were absolutely random, not bound to different special structures. That way CSG's actually felt like pieces of a puzzle, not as a railroad. Kinda funny how my opinion changed simply because i realised their true purpose.
Speaking of CSG seeding.

Offline _K_

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #265 on: April 10, 2013, 10:30:07 am »
Speaking of CSG seeding.
Daaaamn, this almost makes me want to register there just so that i can upvote this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk