Author Topic: Prerelease 1.009B (New F1 and Z+A functionality, various fixes)  (Read 5867 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Here's the latest prerelease:  http://www.arcengames.com/share/AIWar1009B.zip

That version is an upgrade from version 1.008, so you have to already have 1.008 (or greater) installed. Just unzip it into your game folder (usually C:\Program Files\Arcen Games\AI War\ unless you specified something else). Please make sure that your unzip process keeps the folder structure from the zip file, rather than just unpacking all of the files into the base target directory.

What's new since 1.009A:
(Cumulative release notes since 1.008 are attached at the bottom)

-------------------

-In recent releases, the count of wormholes on each starting planet was not showing in the lobby.  Fixed.

-The wormhole reinforcements of the turtle and fortress baron AI types have been toned down somewhat.  Also, wormhole reinforcements in general have been toned down a bit until AI difficulty 8.

-There was a very, very rare crash bug with calculating Sin/Cos.  Fixed.

-On planets on which players would normally not be able to see enemies on the planetary summary sidebar, the players now also can't see a count of the enemy ships in their selection range (instead just seeing ???).  Also, cloaked enemies are no longer included in this count.

-When AI players still have a ship (or an Exo-Galaxy Wormhole) on a player's planet, that shows up as a hostile wormhole in the hostile wormholes count in the galaxy map.

-The Z+X attack range circles will no longer include cloaked enemy ships.

-A new Z+A key combination has been added.  Holding this allows the player to see the range of all their selected ships with the center at the cursor position rather than the ship positions.  This is very useful for moving ships into a specific range of a target.

-Vampires and Cutlasses now have infinite engine health, since they are completely useless without engines (and since cutlasses cannot be repaired).  Mobile Force Fields (Mark III force fields) also now have infinite engine health.

-All command posts and command stations are now immune to being insta-killed.

-Pressing F1 will now make the planetary summary show entries for every ship type in the game, rather than just the ship types that are at the local planet.  This is useful as a lookup tool for enemy ship types that are incoming but not yet present, or as an "icon key" for deciphering the icons in the galaxy map intel summary.

-The sound effect for when home planet command stations are under attack is now better.

-There is now a visual warning in the upper left when command stations are under attack or are destroyed.  There is also a new auditory warning, low in pitch, that goes along with this.

-Engineers are not allowed to repair other engineers that are making repairs, but now engineers are allowed to repair other engineers that are simply assisting space docks or other constructors.  This makes it possible for a free-roaming engineer to repair engineers attached to a dock.

-Previously, it was possible for the lines between ships (tachyon, cloaking boost, munitions boost, tractor, etc) to keep displaying for a fraction of a second between the ships when one of the ships pass between planets.  Fixed.

-The cloaking booster ability now has more of an affinity for scouts, and then higher-level ships, instead of just going for the highest-costing ships.  This prevents scouts from boosting the cloaking of mines if there are better targets around.  Additionally, scouts will no longer boost the cloak of any ship that is immobile, which prevents them from wasting their boosters on mines in general.

-In recent releases, mobile repair stations were forgetting to stop repairing ships that were fully repaired, and they were also not doing a very good job of finding all the new targets around themselves unless the players manually moved the repair station.  Fixed.

-Previously, engineers that were assisting another ship but were in attack-move mode, would oscillate back and forth between the two tasks.  Fixed.

-Engineers once again collision detect properly when moving to assist a target.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline darke

Re: Prerelease 1.009B (New F1 and Z+A functionality, various fixes)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:17:34 pm »
I decided to start a 120 planet game before bed, mainly out of curiosity since I'd not seen what they look like before. By the time the clock had hit one minute and 30 seconds there were over a hundred AI ships in my home world, my small force of ships and space dock were destroyed, and I'd decided that was the game telling me I should be sleeping rather then playing. :)

I guess the plus side is I got a very quick introduction to the new home-command-center-is-under-attack sound? :)

Offline Revenantus

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 08:35:06 pm »
Cheers for the Z+A key combination - my Munitions Boosters salute you! (Well, if their anatomy permitted I'm sure they would.)

I have captured 2 systems in which I am unable to place harvesters by using ctrl-click, manual placement succeeds however.

A minor quirk to do with engineers - if an engineer is given a task whilst being constructed his fellows are unable to accelerate his construction.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 09:03:13 pm »
I decided to start a 120 planet game before bed, mainly out of curiosity since I'd not seen what they look like before. By the time the clock had hit one minute and 30 seconds there were over a hundred AI ships in my home world, my small force of ships and space dock were destroyed, and I'd decided that was the game telling me I should be sleeping rather then playing. :)

I guess the plus side is I got a very quick introduction to the new home-command-center-is-under-attack sound? :)

Ha, well, sounds like you ran up against a really hard AI type of some variety.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 09:05:05 pm »
Cheers for the Z+A key combination - my Munitions Boosters salute you! (Well, if their anatomy permitted I'm sure they would.)

Wonderful!

I have captured 2 systems in which I am unable to place harvesters by using ctrl-click, manual placement succeeds however.

Can you post the savegame?

A minor quirk to do with engineers - if an engineer is given a task whilst being constructed his fellows are unable to accelerate his construction.

Hmm, that would only be if he's given a task to actually repair something else, I'd think (not accelerate a dock or whatever).  But, I'll take care of that. :)

Offline Revenantus

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 09:15:56 pm »
The system with the difficulty with harvester placement is Jaiosho, near the bottom-left of the map.

Offline Revenantus

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 09:28:49 pm »
I've just noticed a glitch occuring with Etherjet Tractors - after being dragged through a wormhole my cruiser was being drawn at a huge distance from the Etherjet, despite still being caught in its tractor beam.

I've attached a screen dump of the phenomenon - I'll try to reproduce it and send you the save game.

EDIT: I've attached a save game of it occuring in my home system - the tractor trails extend far outside the edge of the visible map.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 09:33:09 pm by Revenantus »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 09:41:59 pm »
I've just noticed a glitch occuring with Etherjet Tractors - after being dragged through a wormhole my cruiser was being drawn at a huge distance from the Etherjet, despite still being caught in its tractor beam.

I've attached a screen dump of the phenomenon - I'll try to reproduce it and send you the save game.

EDIT: I've attached a save game of it occuring in my home system - the tractor trails extend far outside the edge of the visible map.

Thanks!  I'll take a look, this is probably related to some of my recent changes with movement.  And, thanks for the other link, with the savegame for the harvesters!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 10:36:22 pm »
I go away for a week and it feels like I come back to a totally new game... 37 pre-releases, a full 1.008, and a bit of 1.009...

And, I loved the patch note about the "desync when attacking a shield" bug; in retrospect I think that was a common cause for many of my desync problems.

Cheers!

Offline Revenantus

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 10:42:16 pm »
Interesting - Are Ion Cannon shots supposed to be blocked by counter-sniper turrets? If so, I wish I'd learned that more swiftly.

Additionally, the Ion Cannons seem to be missing more than they should - this Mark III failed to hit a space plane 6 consecutive times (green waves were displayed). It is however destroying other targets, like cruisers, with great efficiency. Are they supposed to miss at all? Or could it be something to do with the fact that the space planes have cloaks? The space plane, however, wasn't cloaked when the shots impacted.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:44:07 pm by Revenantus »

Offline darke

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 06:40:14 am »
It appears you can scrap a command center for no AI points cost, which makes it a bit of an exploit that if it looks like it's going to die, you can just delete it before it happens. :)

It would probably worth doing a check to see if there's more AI ships in a system then friendly ships by a significant amount, then it gives the AI the +10 points anyway if it's deleted. Otherwise if the player has more ships (or the AI has under a dozen ships; just to take into account a patrol wandering through a warp gate at the wrong moment), then not penalise for the destruction of the command center (basically to handle a controlled retreat from a sector you've decided it just way too much trouble to defend).

Offline Revenantus

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 07:42:11 am »
It appears you can scrap a command center for no AI points cost, which makes it a bit of an exploit that if it looks like it's going to die, you can just delete it before it happens. :)

It would probably worth doing a check to see if there's more AI ships in a system then friendly ships by a significant amount, then it gives the AI the +10 points anyway if it's deleted. Otherwise if the player has more ships (or the AI has under a dozen ships; just to take into account a patrol wandering through a warp gate at the wrong moment), then not penalise for the destruction of the command center (basically to handle a controlled retreat from a sector you've decided it just way too much trouble to defend).

If the AI destroys one of your Command Stations it has no effect on the AI progress level. The ability listed on the Command Station for the +10 increase is specifically if an AI controlled Command Station is destroyed.

Kalzarius has a query about whether he could make use of the Warp Gate (Reinforce) property of his command station, so maybe it could be clearer which abilities are specific to ships under AI control.

Offline Revenantus

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 08:21:27 am »
Unhandled Error;

Pressing the comma key on the title screen, or anywhere outside of an actual campaign, causes the game to crash.

On particular menus, if you swap to another window, and then swap back to the game, subsequently pressing the comma key does not cause this error. I've found that this is true on the Main Title Screen, the Host New Campaign menu, but not on the Load Saved Game menu.

Code: [Select]
03/07/2009 13:04:52
-----------------------------------Application_ThreadException-----------------------------------System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at AIWar.GameForm.ButtonDownFirst(Keys Key) in C:\vcprojs\AIWar\GameFormParts\InputHandling.cs:line 1871
   at AIWar.DirectInputWrapper.Instance_KeyDown(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e) in C:\vcprojs\AIWar\DX\DirectInputWrapper.cs:line 102
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

On the positive side, this is the first time my cat walking on the desk has resulted in something useful.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 09:34:52 am »
I go away for a week and it feels like I come back to a totally new game... 37 pre-releases, a full 1.008, and a bit of 1.009...

Haha, I don't think it was quite that many, but close.  Certainly 100+ changes in that time. :)  Someday, there won't be quite that much to change so frequently.  I don't know when that day will be, though!  People keep coming up with such great suggestions.

And, I loved the patch note about the "desync when attacking a shield" bug; in retrospect I think that was a common cause for many of my desync problems.

Wonderful!  I was really hoping that this was the problem you were experiencing.  I didn't run into it until almost a week after you first reported it, because I and my group tend not to be watching force fields much as they are being beaten on.  This bug only surfaces if one of the players, but not all, are actually looking at the force field when new ships pop out or the force field goes down.  So that was a tricky one to find, and whole new class of desync for this game (great, I really needed one of those, haha).  Anyway, at the very least I now have something else to watch for with future code, to make sure that something like this doesn't ever get introduced in the future.

Good to hear from you!  There are still a few features that you requested that are on my list (the icon slider and the Alt+1-5 for selection), and they just haven't quite made it into the prereleases yet.  But I haven't forgotten!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 09:38:55 am »
Interesting - Are Ion Cannon shots supposed to be blocked by counter-sniper turrets? If so, I wish I'd learned that more swiftly.

Actually, technically based on the current rules, yes they are supposed to be blocked (they are considered sniper shots).  However, I had not really thought through the implications of that with the counter-sniper turrets, and I don't like it.  It will be fixed in the next prerelease.

Additionally, the Ion Cannons seem to be missing more than they should - this Mark III failed to hit a space plane 6 consecutive times (green waves were displayed). It is however destroying other targets, like cruisers, with great efficiency. Are they supposed to miss at all? Or could it be something to do with the fact that the space planes have cloaks? The space plane, however, wasn't cloaked when the shots impacted.

Probably the space plane cloaked at some time while the shot was inbound, but that shouldn't have the effect it is -- cloaking is indeed the only reason for an ion cannon or other sniper shot to ever miss (counter-shooters aside).  I'll work on that, too, thanks for bringing it up!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk