Author Topic: New player questions  (Read 528 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Administrator
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: New player questions
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 09:59:08 AM »
FYI, making the dyson hostile doesn't turn its existing friendly-to-you gatlings into hostile ones.

I'd suggest this procedure:

1) At your earliest convenience, kill the AI command station on the planet.
2) If you can't clean up the barracks and whatnot unleashed by that, just pull back until it gets dashed by your defenses or otherwise disperses (if it stays put, you can whittle it down, but I imagine the Dyson could do that for you).
3) Once the AI's ships are gone, position some overwhelming strength in range of the CSG, and bring a pile of engineers and a colony ship.
4) Build your command station, and use the engineers to make it happen fast.
5) Use the overwhelming strength to kill the CSG quickly.
6) Scrap your command station.

The result should be a liberated dyson, a dead CSG, and a very small number of hostile-to-you gatlings :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 11:00:02 AM »
Building then immediately scrapping your command station is also a great way to claim any special structures that may be on the dyson sphere's planet, in your current game or future ones. You build it, then they are under your control and stay under your control after you scrap it.
That crazy non-hardcore player who decided that when AI War 2 comes out focusing on hunting the Nemesis as much as possible regardless of risk will be a good idea.

Offline Worblehat

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 10:54:53 PM »
FYI, making the dyson hostile doesn't turn its existing friendly-to-you gatlings into hostile ones.

Ah, that is very good to know, and not what I thought was happening! I thought there was just one type of gatling, and their target options varied based on the presence/absence and allegiance of any command station in the system. So there are effectively three types of gatlings, omnicidal, anti-human, and anti-AI, if I'm understanding you correctly?

Offline BadgerBadger

• Sr. Member Mark II
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 12:21:29 AM »
That has been my experience at least.

Offline Worblehat

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 02:31:15 AM »
One more question (so far): what is the value of Lightning Starships? I'm finding them underwhelming. They seem to lightly sandpaper AI fleet ships in large numbers - except missile frigates because they're immune to area damage. This seems mildly useful in big fleetball vs. fleetball engagements and not particularly helpful in set piece wave defenses (not that the turrets need the help lately) or supporting the champion or small detachments on clear-out-the-threat-fleet excursions. The knowledge cost to get mk2 and mk3 versions is substantially higher than other starships so I expected they'd be more useful. Is there something I'm missing here?

Looks like I'm well into the middlegame at this point - map is basically fully explored (I know exactly which systems are the homeworlds, but haven't sent a scout in to either, or to one of the core worlds). Two nebulae are off of core worlds, so I guess I won't be doing those! And the fourth coprocessor is also on a core world - hopefully a fast hit and run to take it out won't have the core and home worlds Alerted long enough to cause too much of a problem.