Author Topic: Can I use the soundtracks?  (Read 2453 times)

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
Can I use the soundtracks?
« on: December 06, 2015, 08:00:50 am »
I am interested to make a small movie out of this game. Not that I will really make it due to my habit of, well, procrastination, and my tendency to lose interest in the middle.

I am not a lawyer so I am not too clear about this. I am not trying to make any money or anything like that, it's just a hobby project and I will use this chance to co-develop some other software projects. I guess there is no licensing or copyright issue of using the soundtracks in this way, right? (Please say yes...)

Well, also again, don't expect me to actually finish this... But I will not start if I get the answer of "No".

BTW, I will Creative-Common-BY-SA my work except for the non-original parts(i.e. soundtracks or anything directly from the game. But I guess the record of gameplay itself doesn't count). Is that acceptable? If the answer is "No" I will not start this.

Offline doctorfrog

Re: Can I use the soundtracks?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 10:22:26 pm »
I think if you're just playing the game over YouTube or Twitch and the soundtrack happens to be playing while you're doing so, that's fine. If you're isolating the soundtrack and using it for another purpose, unrelated to the game itself (like scoring your own movie with it), you'd probably need to get permission unless it's fair use: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

For example, if you're using the soundtrack to do a video review of the game, that probably would probably be Fair Use and Arcen probably couldn't stop you if they wanted to. If you're using the soundtrack to score a video of yourself walking down the street, you'd probably need permission, in exchange for money or (more likely) attribution.

The game has its own license, check that for the strict legal, or PM Chris Park or Pablo Vega. They're cool dudes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk