Author Topic: Making force field caps per planet  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Qatu

Making force field caps per planet
« on: September 02, 2014, 12:02:23 pm »
 Now that we've all enjoyed per planet turrets, how about per planet force fields? Seems it would still be plenty balanced out by energy, cap could be lowered to 4 for mk2 and mk3 instead of 6. This would make playing maps without chokepoints significantly more fun since as is whenever big attacks happen i simply delete most force fields from planets that dont need defending to quickly rebuild them on the attacked planet. There could even be a mk4 force field fabricator!

I just wanna play maps without chokepoints without feeling like I should play with 2 homeworlds for increased force field caps to lower tedium.

edit: also, is there still really a reason to keep the damage reduction for units under force fields?

edit2: other option could be to add a modular forcefield to all command stations, effectively giving all captured planets 1 extra force field to work with
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:05:19 pm by Qatu »

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Making force field caps per planet
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:20:37 pm »
Won't happen.  It was already discussed back during the turrets-per-planet discussion.

It basically boils down to "you shouldn't be able to protect everything equally."

Offline Qatu

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 12:25:42 pm »
 I guess I don't forum enough to catch all the discussions, but it's already happening. In maps without chokepoints, I protect all my border planets with an MK1 forcefield, and whenever a border planet gets attacked I destroy force fields on other planets and quick build them where needed. There's plenty enough to keep 2-4 planets very well protected at the same time right now, it's just tedious and not much fun switching around which ones are being protected every 20 minutes or so.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:37:50 pm »
Here's the main case-point, there's some additional discussion as well.

http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,15795.msg174744.html#msg174744

Offline Peter Ebbesen

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 04:29:21 pm »
Right. Let's continue it in the distributed defences thread. I think Qatu brings up a very good point with regards to how the intended strategic challenge of per-galaxy caps can currently be negated at the cost of tedium - something that is seldom good for a game.
Ride the Lightning - a newbie Fallen Spire AAR - the AAR of my second serious AI War game. Now completed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk