Author Topic: AI War Beta 5.052-5.057 "From The Shadows" Released!  (Read 35919 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: AI War Beta 5.052 "From The Shadows" Released!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 04:37:24 pm »
I won't have time to get this until this evening, but briefly, how do I set up a single-player game to control a champion? Do I use that reserved for option or just add a player two?

It's just setting up a player 2 with "Reserved For Champion" in the dropdown that would normally show their name if they were actually a player.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 04:38:15 pm »
Thanks everyone :)

I won't have time to get this until this evening, but briefly, how do I set up a single-player game to control a champion? Do I use that reserved for option or just add a player two?
Not trying to lmgtfy you here, but wanted to check if this bit of the release notes is clear enough:
** You can set a populated player slot (one with a connected player in it) to this using the role select dropdown.
** You can also just mark a slot as "Reserved For Champion" using the slot-state select dropdown (previously just said Open or Closed) and that champion can be controlled by any human player.

In short: just click the button under your player name (the slot state select for player 2), click "Reserved For Champion" and done :)

If you like you can do that with more player slots to get more than one champion, but the balance for multiple champions is still very much a work in progress ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Martyn van Buren

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 04:39:59 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Minotaar

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 04:40:44 pm »
Must... possess... but... it's... 1AM... here... :D
Looking forward to checking this out after I finish my 10/10 (too bad in Soviet Russia, where I live, 10/10 finishes YOU)  :)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 04:42:38 pm »
Looking forward to checking this out after I finish my 10/10 (too bad in Soviet Russia, where I live, 10/10 finishes YOU)  :)

In most places 10/10 finishes you. ;)

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 04:43:34 pm »
Neat. That'll be really hard to balance though and I wonder if it'll be equally fun for both types of player.

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 04:44:21 pm »
A few questions before I buy it no matter what the answers are:

You still operate in the normal, AI-infested galaxy, right?
Is the destruction of your champion the new defeat criterion?
Can you obtain the ability to call in Resistance/Marauder strikes?
How can Arcen be so awesome?
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 04:45:05 pm »
Heh.

My 10/10 is going on hold, I want to play with the new stuff.  ;)

Going to drop it to 9.8 for my next few as I understand that is supposed to be the highest winnable difficulty.

I should continue it however, best I've done in a 10/10 for a while.

Neat. That'll be really hard to balance though and I wonder if it'll be equally fun for both types of player.

I'm actually expecting the new 'default' to be one Home Command Station and One Champion per player. So a single player game will have '2  players', a 3 person will have '6 players' and so on. It can certainly be played the other way but certainly my single player games for a while will be me controlling both 'players'

D.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:47:23 pm by Diazo »

Offline Hunam

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 04:46:09 pm »
Well I got this as soon as I saw it and now have to  somehow resist playing it as my wife is at work, and I have baby duty today. Here's hoping for a really long nap  :). I may just have to be nocturnal tonight...

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 04:48:03 pm »
You still operate in the normal, AI-infested galaxy, right?
Right
Is the destruction of your champion the new defeat criterion?
No, defeat criterion is unchanged: you have to have at least one "normal" role player in the game, and normal players have home command stations.  In otherwords playing with a Champion in singleplayer means you're controlling two players: one normal and one champion, but the UI has been adjusted over the past few months to make this far easier than it would have been in the past.
Not exactly, at least not yet ;)  But one of my playtests did result (and end) in a joint Marauder/AI assault on my homeworld.  And not the marauders you're used to.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Minotaar

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 04:50:37 pm »
Yeah, that's for an 11 Hybrid killstreak.  ;D

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 05:02:04 pm »
Eep, I hate to be that dude, but I work with fonts all the time and...

Algierian? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algerian_%28virtual_typeface%29 | "Algerian is reviled for its overuse.")

It's not like it's MS Comic Sans or anything, but please consider something a little more unique for the box shot! The box shot is your ambassador!

(and not Bleeding Cowboy)

Interestingly, the logo has been public since sometime in mid July, and nobody mentioned this until now. ;)  I know of Comic Sans like pretty much anybody even marginally familiar with typefaces.  But Algerian hatred was a new one on me.  The actual font has been heavily post-edited so that it's not really true Algerian anymore.  I wonder if that's what has had it go unnoticed until you brought it up now.

Actually, I noticed it before, but figured I should keep my counsel because I thought it would change. Bad decision.

I might just be a guy with delicate sensibilities or something, so don't let a single voice shake your faith. But honestly, it looks like it's a font with some pretty simple effects applied to it. Unless it's a special pain to proliferate amongst game assets, I can't imagine it'd be too tough to change.

A few alternative sources, to show I'm not just capable of complaining, but also offering terrible suggestions as well:

Blambot (non-free): This site has comic fonts, so they often skew a bit toward silliness, but they're still very good quality, and probably not overused to the point that they'd stick out like a sore thumb: http://blambot.com/fonts_design.shtml (take a look at the Sci-Fi and Blocky sections)

DaFont.com (mixed): A good site that tells you up front whether a font is free for personal or commercial use (most of the time). Downside is that many of these are overstyled or entirely too evocative of established franchises: http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=402&text=ANCIENT+SHADOWS ("After Disaster" $40, is a semi-serious comicky gothic font)

I understand that as a for-profit enterprise, you have more to consider than the average schmoe. I know it ain't as easy as download-n-embed, there is licensing and other stuff. So I personally understand if you decide to stick with what you have, even if there may a few eyeballs here and there that will make a negative association when they see that font (consciously or unconsciously).

In other words, thanks for considering my nitpicky input. I'm willing to do more searching and head scratching if you're interested.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 05:04:32 pm »
I'm going to run out of thank-you's.   ;D  At any rate, we're very grateful!
Theres not a cap on thank-yous, just ways to say it without multilingual people ;D

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 05:06:34 pm »
Question:
I queue modules on champion and it blinks red.. what I'm missing?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:08:56 pm by orzelek »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 05:09:34 pm »
Looking for hint how to nicely give resources to champion player.
Do I need to use the gift option or there is some way to share resources between players?
Champions have no stockpile for m/c and can neither give nor receive resources or ships.  To build modules they need an engineer in range, but it takes only about a second per module.

I'm considering switching it to a model where modules take no m+c to build (right now they take 1+1, which requires an engineer but otherwise is effectively free) but take a certain number of seconds to build and be non-assistable.  I'm not sure that's better, though, as I like the respawns being near instantly-back-to-full-usefulness.  It's also a fair bit of work to add that alternate build-queue-processing mechanic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk