Author Topic: AI War 2 derailment thread <split>  (Read 7676 times)

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
AI War 2 derailment thread <split>
« on: July 30, 2016, 11:44:00 am »
I'd certainly be interested in helping with an AIW2, though not quite as intensely as chemical_art.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: AI War 2 derailment thread <split>
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 02:37:31 pm »
I also have interest.  Timing may be more important than anything, but we'll see. ;)

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 11:53:50 pm »
Yeah, okay, as much as I'd love to gossip about an AI War 2/Recompiled, we have threads for that, and at least two games in the pipe before Chris would turn to it. Remember that Raptor is supposed to be a practice run for Arcen's crafting/survival game, and there's SBR. When and if Keith gets that right Chris is all but certain to focus on getting that out the door.

And of course there's the oft-alluded to strategy burn out. Let the game designer have some brain time away from strategy. We'll all be happier in the long run.  :D

Now Chris tell us about this elevator surprise.  :P

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 04:42:40 am »
Yeah, okay, as much as I'd love to gossip about an AI War 2/Recompiled, we have threads for that (...)
Ah, you shouldn't have talked about AIW2 here. We're already stealing that thread and running far away with it...
Told you so.

Remember that Raptor is supposed to be a practice run for Arcen's crafting/survival game, and there's SBR. When and if Keith gets that right Chris is all but certain to focus on getting that out the door.

And of course there's the oft-alluded to strategy burn out. Let the game designer have some brain time away from strategy. We'll all be happier in the long run.  :D
The Arcen's pipeline has been sliced. Chris is on RR and the craft/survival stuff while Keith is on the strategy part with SBR and a moddable AIW engine revamp (what I call AIW2 for short).

And don't accuse us of derailing the topic: he did that first!
 :P
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 03:22:28 pm »
Yep, I did do the derail first.  Keith's AIW revamp is something that we might consider rolling into an AIW2 that we both work on.  Delaying the 3D crafting game on my side of the pipeline, but building a more robust AIW as a result of that.  It's  something that I've grown increasingly interested in lately, not because I'm feeling the love for making strategy games again, but because the technical pieces of a 3D AIW2 interest me a lot at the moment.  My involvement would be more technical/visual and somewhat usability, and Keith would be other-technical/design and rest of the game.  He could then continue on with it much longer than I spend on it, etc.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:25:32 pm »
3D AIW2
*.*

Still with same gameplay and mechanisms, as said before?

(Yeah, derailing, baby!)
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 10:27:26 am »
3D AIW2
*.*

Still with same gameplay and mechanisms, as said before?

More or less.  Procedurally-generated ships versus hand-balanced ones interest me a lot a the moment, but Keith might disagree, so who knows.  But yeah.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:36:58 am »
You could add them as a "minor" faction like all the other neat-but-maybe-not-all-the-time ships! ;D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 10:50:06 am »
It is a possibility, yeah.  But one thing that I like as a potential idea is not really being able to judge before a game what the new ships might be.  Aka you explore and find out "hey there's these awesome things I've never seen before, let's exploit them a bit, etc."  That could slow down recon a lot, though, I realize.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 08:16:17 pm »
Ya know, I was going to sarcastically ask "Is it EVER possible for this place to stay on topic?" but then, I realized I knew the answer.

On that note though, I will say, if AI War 2 is ever going to be a thing, consider me as having volunteered for testing and whatnot. 

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 08:34:47 pm »
Awesome. :)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 07:45:28 am »
this derailment has reminded me that I have ai war in my library and I really do need to put some real time into it if I can drag my self away from rim world for long enough to do so.
c.r

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 11:52:39 am »

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 08:13:41 am »
Procedurally-generated ships

<3
In a strategy game? Hell no. Strategy games thrive on a very delicate balance. Procedurally generated stats tend to throw that completely out the window, providing tons of "unfun" scenarios.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 11:49:42 am »
Procedurally-generated ships

<3
In a strategy game? Hell no. Strategy games thrive on a very delicate balance. Procedurally generated stats tend to throw that completely out the window, providing tons of "unfun" scenarios.

If this were PVP, sure.  But think about AI War itself at this point: there are so freaking many ship types that the mix of them is going to be inherently unbalanced in some fashion.  However, because of the number of ships that you have to use and the fact that there are individual ship type caps, you can't overly exploit a particular ship type.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk