Author Topic: A Proposal...no...a Plea!  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: A Proposal...no...a Plea!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 05:48:10 pm »
Incidentally, the Steam users seem to be split 50/50 between 2 or 4 cores, which is more people with 4-cores than I expected.

I have six.  I think my work computer has 8.

Offline Ucchedavada

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 06:07:17 pm »
Incidentally, the Steam users seem to be split 50/50 between 2 or 4 cores, which is more people with 4-cores than I expected.

I have six.  I think my work computer has 8.

Congratulations, you are part of the 2%. ;)
You can find the hardware survey here, if you are interested.

I have 4 cores at home and 4 at work, if you don't count the headless servers that we use to run our analyses (ranging from 24 to 64 cores). Unfortunately, I don't get to game on the those ...

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 06:09:48 pm »
Congratulations, you are part of the 2%. ;)
You can find the hardware survey here, if you are interested.

I'm aware of it. :)

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 08:35:01 pm »
I'm impressed an integrated intel graphics set is still the most popular.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 09:39:29 pm »
I'm impressed an integrated intel graphics set is still the most popular.

As long as most PC's are sold with them...

The vast majority of PC's never upgrade anything, and even then, most upgrades are RAM.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 10:04:13 pm »
Well, considering Steam is (almost entirely) a games platform with a minimally functional chat system and other bits, I expected one to show up in the top 5, but not the number 1 spot.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 12:00:28 am »
I just want to clarify.

This is NOT a call to start "debugging the bugging" that is standard for the prep for a X.000 release. (8.000 in particular)

This is about dealing with the issues and technical debt that have been piling up for several major versions now, including since before the Unity port (yes, things from the 3.XXX series, when I first started playing). I think these have been sitting around long enough...

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 08:53:00 am »
I just want to clarify.

This is NOT a call to start "debugging the bugging" that is standard for the prep for a X.000 release. (8.000 in particular)

This is about dealing with the issues and technical debt that have been piling up for several major versions now, including since before the Unity port (yes, things from the 3.XXX series, when I first started playing). I think these have been sitting around long enough...
Ah, I see.

I don't mind putting effort into addressing some of those.  My main criteria for that kind of thing are:

1) Is it actually feasible? 
- Multi-threading the main sim is not, for instance.

2) Is it actually the community's priority? 
- UI stuff might be.  Some of the more esoteric tech stuff may not even register with most players.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 03:34:08 am »
Yea, as I mentioned in my second post in this thread, I know some of the things I mentioned in the OP (like multithreading) are not really "polish" or even "revamp", but "rewrite large chunks of the codebase" level things, which I don't legitimately expect anytime soon. I still mentioned them though because the side effects of those design decisions still contributes to the "critical mass" of perceived issues.

If many of the other things I listed are fixed, then those design decisions will feel much less annoying because there are less, other things in the game that are annoying you.

Also as I mentioned in the nomination thread, I really need to sit down and list out some more of these little things that are awkward.

Offline relmz32

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 10:58:22 am »

A programmer had a problem. She thought to herself, "I know, I'll solve it with threads!". has Now problems. two she.

:D
I am gonna send this one around to my dev team. :P

Also, yoink. Its going in my sig.

Edit: Added that last line.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:00:06 am by relmz32 »
A programmer had a problem. She thought to herself, "I know, I'll solve it with threads!". has Now problems. two she.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 11:05:31 am »

Yeah, I passed it around a bit too. :P

Offline Ucchedavada

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 01:56:29 pm »

Also, yoink. Its going in my sig.

Edit: Added that last line.

There's no need to attribute it to me, I'm not the one who authored that saying. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk