Author Topic: AI War - Linux installer  (Read 30663 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: AI War - Linux installer
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2010, 05:09:50 pm »
PS: I can't wait for the Mac version. I would never have dreamed of such a thing a year ago.

We're excited about it, too!  And that should really usher in a ton of new linux support, too, as you noted.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline arthurp

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 04:45:35 am »
Cool stuff, it sounds like that might work, then.  Arcen won't be doing a rebuild, but I think that there are ways in which to get it running under WINE, and that would require someone with Linux knowledge, etc.  We'll be porting the entire application over the Unity 3D soon anyway, and that runs much better under Linux in general, since it uses OpenGL and Mono instead of DirectX and .NET.

The Unity 3D port will probably make WINE support a lot easier though (openGL instead of DX). That would make me very happy. Also who knows some day there may be a Unity port for Linux. It is already cross platform and based on many open-source libraries so a Linux port of Unity would be quite possible I am sure (though I have no idea exactly how much work would be needed).

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2010, 01:49:49 pm »
Yea, the Unity folks have publicly stated that they want to add support for Linux, and that they intend to do so, but that it will be a lot of work to port all their c/c++ code to that platform and so they can't actually say when they'll get around to it.

So there's definitely hope, but I couldn't say what year that will become manifest :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline cmatei

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2010, 12:20:07 pm »
FYI, the game works on xp using virtualbox 3.2.8. There is just one catch: you need to install the guest additions (d3d) in safe mode - this is documented somewhere but can't find it anymore.
IIRC, I did like this: install the trial version, including slimdx and directx9. The game won't start, but boot in safe mode, install guest additions, boot normally and then it will work. I may be wrong with the ordering of things, debugging windows problems is always "throw random stuff at it and see what happens" for me.

It did crash once, but is otherwise playable (spent some good hours on the tutorial campain). Nice game.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2010, 02:55:16 pm »
Glad you like it :)  The Unity version should be *much* easier to run in Linux, when it's ready.  If you want to, you could try running the Tidalis demo in Linux; The Unity version of AI War will run on the same exact platform.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline SRombauts

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2010, 10:12:32 am »
The new thread about Wine support is here: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,7246.0.html

=> The new version AI War versions 4.0 using Unity is working perfectly well under Linux using a recent Wine without doing anything special.

(I post this because for now it is still the first topic to appear on Google)

Offline AcidWeb

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2010, 04:35:48 am »
The new thread about Wine support is here: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,7246.0.html

=> The new version AI War versions 4.0 using Unity is working perfectly well under Linux using a recent Wine without doing anything special.

(I post this because for now it is still the first topic to appear on Google)
Modified 1 post.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk