Author Topic: 1.010 Potential Bugs  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Kalzarius

• Sr. Member Mark II
1.010 Potential Bugs
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:27:00 pm »
We have come across a number of potential bugs in our recent session using 1.010.

1) Tooltips/Hints and mouse over events in the game appear to still be processed while in menus and the score window.

2) During heavy activity, ships that come through wormholes remain invisible for extended periods of time, even while moving through the system.  Since they are getting updates for motion, perhaps the fade in should be based on real time instead of in game time.

3) Currently constructing units should count against the unit caps so that other constructors won't begin building the same unit past its cap.  While this doesn't result in more ships than the cap allows, it prevents constructors from building other ships that have not yet reached theirs.  I don't recall what happens once the cap is reached (whether it cancels and starts building something else or holds it until the unit can be built again).

4) Projectiles follow teleporting targets beyond the attack range of the ships that fired them.  They will literally cross the entire planet map and still do substantial damage to the teleporting ship.

5) Missiles from a silo detonate as soon as their target is in range.  It would be better for them to detonate once they have reached their target.

6) For selection box ship counts, if I can manually count the enemy ships within the box, I don't see why I should get an unknown number if there are no scouts in the system.

7) During high activity, ships that are not yet able to move after exiting a wormhole can be targeted and fired upon without being able to return fire.  This can happen for extended periods of time on lower-end systems.

8) While waiting for players to connect to resume a multiplayer game, the host player gets the message 'Low energy balance' and sees a net energy balance of 0 until all players are in and the game has resumed.

- Kal

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: 1.010 Potential Bugs
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:40:47 pm »
Thanks for the report.  Briefly, since I'm out of town -- fixes will come after I'm back next week:

1. This is the expected behavior.  You can still click ships and give them orders, too.

2. Those ships shouldn't be able to move.  I'll fix that issue.  The realtime vs game time issue is one that can't be done because of issues of synchronicity between the multiple clients in the game.  The alternative, by the way, is to have the game just grind to a halt when you send a lot of ships through a wormhole on a huge game like this.  I might make some of these underlying mechanics tweakable via the settings, though.

3.  This is acting as expected, too.  When you are right at a ship cap, there is a bit of efficiency lost, but by the same token you can some redundancy for if one constructor is destroyed, which in some cases is valuable.  When a constructor can't built another of the current type, it starts building the net instead.

4.   Whoops.  Great catch, that will need to be fixed.  Shots can normally follow ships well out of their target range with no problem (by design), but with teleporting that might need to be addressed.  Of course, then again, this could make teleporting a really over-valuable ability.  I'll have to look at it.

5.  Good point, I think that would be really helpful.

6.  I don't find this particularly incongruous.  Where would I draw the line at that, anyway?  10 ships?  20?  Technically you can count the number of ships inside the selection box at any time (overlap aside), it's just a matter of how long it takes you. :)

7.  Hmm, another good point.  I'll definitely need to deal with this.

8.  Yeah, that should really just display nothing if no resource events have happened yet.  Good point!

As always, thanks for the notes and suggestions!  Sorry for my brevity, I'll be back into the normal swing of things next week. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MorphingJar

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:30:46 am »
Got another one for you.

With Extra Fog of War enabled, you can send a scout into a system.  Let it get destroyed, and then highlight over the system for a summary.  Even though you have no scouts in the system, you still see the ship numbers fluctuating.

Also, Space Tugs have this very annoying tendency to grab ships that are Building (ie Mobile builders, Engineers) And drag them away.  Particularly annoying when you are in a large system and the wormholes are very far apart and you try to build them near a wormhole for quick access to said wormhole only to have it dragged off to the other side of the planet.  Possibly add a flag to units that are being built so space tugs ignore them?

Also, Teleport Battlestations are supposed to be slightly strong against bombers.  But they have a very hard time against them.  It seems like their attacks only hit half the time.  I have had many occasions where a 40+ battlestations take 3 salvos just to kill a single mark 1 Bomber.

And the last one that I have noticed so far is that When there are Space tugs in a planet with no repair station.  They seem to just randomly push around Damaged units.  They will go up to it, tractor it, push it around a bit, and release it.  Then repeat the process.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:48:24 am by MorphingJar »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 12:55:52 pm »
With Extra Fog of War enabled, you can send a scout into a system.  Let it get destroyed, and then highlight over the system for a summary.  Even though you have no scouts in the system, you still see the ship numbers fluctuating.

Actually, it will do this with any type of scout you send through.  It's based on how I'm calculating the scouting numbers, but I really need to make this handled better.  Thanks for bringing it up!

Also, Space Tugs have this very annoying tendency to grab ships that are Building (ie Mobile builders, Engineers) And drag them away.  Particularly annoying when you are in a large system and the wormholes are very far apart and you try to build them near a wormhole for quick access to said wormhole only to have it dragged off to the other side of the planet.  Possibly add a flag to units that are being built so space tugs ignore them?

Good point, I'll make space tugs ignore any target that is assisting/repairing/building another target.

Also, Teleport Battlestations are supposed to be slightly strong against bombers.  But they have a very hard time against them.  It seems like their attacks only hit half the time.  I have had many occasions where a 40+ battlestations take 3 salvos just to kill a single mark 1 Bomber.

That's just due to the shield-to-range ratio.  The main thing is that bombers do very little damage against the teleport battlestations, so the battlestations will win, just not very efficiently.  Cruisers are way more efficient at taking out bombers.

And the last one that I have noticed so far is that When there are Space tugs in a planet with no repair station.  They seem to just randomly push around Damaged units.  They will go up to it, tractor it, push it around a bit, and release it.  Then repeat the process.

Oh, ha, that's hilarious.  They aren't supposed to go looking for targets in that scenario.  Added to my list for a fix. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk