Author Topic: Relative importance of AIP vs. remaining systems?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline mindloss

• Full Member Mark II
Relative importance of AIP vs. remaining systems?
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:07:49 pm »
So it seems like a lot of overall AI anger is determined not only by AIP but by the number of its remaining systems. I'm wondering just how much of a factor that part really is, i.e. is it weighted comparably to AIP when computing reinforcement points, or is it relatively negligible? And also, what is that factor exactly? I mean, in a 40-star game, if you get the AI to where it only controls 10 stars, is it 4 times as mad at you as when you began (ignoring AIP), or...

I need to become more concise. Basically, what I'm really asking is

a) Is taking stars from the AI increasingly dangerous to the point where it would be very unwise to take, say, two of its last three (I realize that'd only arise in a very completionist game), or is it more gently linear?
b) Is this factor even worth worrying about?

Offline Ranakastrasz

• Full Member Mark III
Re: Relative importance of AIP vs. remaining systems?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:34:24 pm »
I'm by no means an expert on mechanics, but from what I understand from the wiki, is that aside from AIP, reinforcements(http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=AI_War_-_AI_Reinforcements) (which is where any non-wave ships come from AFAIK, aside from minor factions) are proportional to the number of planets the AI does not own. It gets one reinforcement point for each planet it does not own, and the effect of each is dependant on AIP and guardpost count on the planet they choose. So taking more planets will boost both parts, as well as force the reinforcements to concintrate on a smaller number of planets.

for A, I would say yes, mainly because to leave 1 planet means the AI would be on alert on their home planet, and they would get a ton of reinforcement points.
For B, I would say yes as well.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Relative importance of AIP vs. remaining systems?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 09:01:46 pm »
A) No, it's capped.  After you pass 16 planets that they don't control, they get no added reinforcement points from it.  After that the only effects of them not having planets are that they have fewer places to reinforce (kind of obvious), and the AI progress goes up.  It is more or less assumed that most players will have to take 16+ planets of the course of most games on an 80+ planet map.  The real thing to worry about there is AIP.

B) Depends on how you play; for most players, no.  If you're trying to really perfect your strategies to take on hugely difficult scenarios, then certainly taking fewer planets is the way to go.  But that's as much because of AIP as anything else.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk