Author Topic: Most fun, ridiculous, and/or cheesy plays you have ever made  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Perigor

This is for us who have had WAY too much fun at one point in the game.
Tell us the plays which have made you the most happy or were just WAY more effective than they should have.
A few personal examples of mine are as follows:

-Spider Golem, Botnet Golem, piss off AI, ZOMBIE ARMY
        This play happened in the middle of a game 7.6/7 difficulty AI with all expansions enabled (except revenge), medium botnet (this was before repairing gave you progress), hard golems 4, dyson, traders, enclaves, on a 80 planet map.
         So, 4 hours into the game I got myself the Botnet (after a ton of grinding on a IV planet) a Spider and a Artillery Golem. Knowing that the golems werent so good at raiding planets, I just put them on guard duty so that whenever the AI raided my planets, the golems would be there to take care of them. It started with just the spider so it would freeze enemy ships and keep them in range of the turrets at the wormhole, but then I decided to add the Botnet in.
         So the Botnet stood in the background, reclaiming the helpless, parylized fleet ships held down by the spider golem. After that, I ended up with two full health golems, 200 zombie ships, and most of my turrets intact.
I kept using this tactic, attacking the AI planets with the most ships  on them so I could add them to my army. Thid pissed the AI off since the reclaimed ships kept on destroying their planets, so they sent a two thousand ships and a Spire shiekd to take care of the problem. And you know what I did in response?? RECLAIM ALL THE SHIPS!!!
So by the tenth hour of this game I had 3000 mindless, wandering zombie ships; six golems, a huge amount of map control, WAY too much money, and a fully covered defense grid.
If I had a screenshot, I would podt it but I'm using a lame tablet :(
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:40:11 pm by Perigor »

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: Most fun, ridiculous, and/or cheesy plays you have ever made
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:05:25 am »
 It does work very, very well, and was how I managed distributed defenses when I started playing. Unfortunately, the AI does not intentionally send their own artillery golems and hunter killers to take down your nasty combo.

There's another cheesy play, done by making turrets balls on AI worlds so that threat never manages to build up properly.
 The set up occurs over a friendly wormhole or in a corner of the system as far away from the AI command center as possible:
 - forcefield covering mobile builder, mini-fort, remains rebuilder, and an engineer or two.
 - optionally counter-sniper and counter missile turrets
 - spider and sniper turrets under the protection of the above (not in forcefield to maximise the power)
 - other turrets to take out surviving threat.

I kept one AI homeworld + core worlds suppressed this way (before implementation of exos) so as to give me ample time to wander over to the other one. For most other worlds you only need a small collection of turrets as the individual reinforces aren't big enough to make it all the way to the turret ball.

Offline The Hunter

• Full Member Mark II
  • H/K Mk5
Re: Most fun, ridiculous, and/or cheesy plays you have ever made
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:52:06 am »
7.6/7.6 10 planet game with random start, started in 4 planet cluster blocked off from the rest by AI HW of all things. HW had Wrath lance and core raid engine. Oh and CSGs were on as well.(Edit: Also one of AIs was Peacemaker, cue OMDs around every corner, luckily nebula fleet is OMD immune :P )
So after capping cluster except for core world i've cleaned up core world except for AIP stuff and left armored golem here to tank core raid engine waves, which actually worked quite well.
Then silly part started where i had to send champion with Alt champ fleet to clean up planets behind AI HW, which were /all/ core worlds obviously, not to mention microing them around Wrath lance together with assault transports full of colony ships(Why nebula ships are immune to transport anyways?). In the end capped CSGs all at once and eventually assaulted AI HWs. I think that was the most fun SP campaign i had so far(Then again i mostly play coop). :P
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:57:20 am by The Hunter »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk