Author Topic: Mines/Wormhole/ Planet Hopping  (Read 2116 times)

Offline alphaone

• Newbie Mark II
Mines/Wormhole/ Planet Hopping
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:24:08 pm »
Hello,

I'm playing a 7/random easier game at 80 planets that is almost near the end at 535 progress. Version 2.001M. Its my first game and I'm loving it! Although I seem to have made every noob mistake I refuse to quit. I seem to be horribly inefficient with time LOL. My game is in hour 32  :o. As soon as I beat it, I'll move on to version 3.0. In my defense though, I play the game on and off so I always end up forgetting what I was doing and so I start with a different goal.

Anyways, I had some questions. Both of my AIs seem to build mines around every wormhole, guardpost, and command station. Is this normal operating procedure or do I have mine enthusiasts? Mines seem to make things ever more annoying. I would love it if some AIs wouldn't build mines or at least not so many. One started with Autocannon pods and the other with electric shuttles. I don't know if that makes a difference. In version 3.0, is it possible to see what kind of AI you are fighting against if you choose random at the start?

Secondly, in 3.0 what are some ways to clear wormholes on the enemy side without using missiles that increase progress? In my bumbling, I have alerted some type IV and III worlds that have data centers. They now have some 3000 to 5000 units. I know if I can just form a beachhead I can grind them down but by the time I do take down the wormhole, their many starships arrive and they wipe me out. Sadly, I have also permanently alerted a core world as well.  :'( Currently the only way I crack a wormhole is to build a bunch of transports, send decoy ones to lure the defenders away and then send the real ones to deal with the turrets and mines before I can send my starships in. However, it is really tedious and I end up losing many transports. I tried to keep up with the updates but I lost track. I heard something about autobombs but I don't know if that is a rare unit or not. Just wondering if there are easier ways to crack open a wormhole without increasing progress. I also heard that transports cost more energy now thus making my previous strategy less appealing.

I was also curious about those people who checkerboard their empire. In 3.0 the cross planet attacks (CPA) are less frequent so that may help but if you skip planets how do you defend against CPAs? Is it that if you cut off a planet from the rest of the AI, they won't contribute to CPA? I just don't see how it is defensible in the later part of the game. The AI would come from EVERYWHERE! There aren't enough turrets for that, especially since level one turrets are pretty useless against mark 3 and 4 units.

Thanks in advance

Offline carlosjuero

• Full Member Mark III
Re: Mines/Wormhole/ Planet Hopping
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:31:41 pm »
You can always turn Mines off when creating a new game (Game Options tab I believe).

For telling what type of AI you are facing you can either use guesswork, or the High Scores screen (off the main menu) - it records your highest score and ai types you face. So if you are on your first game it will be easy to figure out - just check the high score entries for the 2 AI types you are seeing.

Offline alphaone

• Newbie Mark II
Re: Mines/Wormhole/ Planet Hopping
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 05:02:22 pm »
Thanks! That answers that question. Come to find out, I'm facing a Mine enthusiast and a Train master. Well, it all makes sense now. To think that there is a game waiting without mines everywhere! I just got to beat this one first.

I suppose I could turn them off but I'd rather deal with the issue for my next game. Although I will make sure that next time those two wont be chosen for the sake of variety.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk