Author Topic: How to Go Faster  (Read 5727 times)

Offline CaptainTaz

• Bottlenecks are life. Literally.
Re: How to Go Faster
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 06:01:03 pm »
Has anyone ever used Nukes to any good effect?
If yes, then what marks?

I've used a Nuke 1 to get rid of a huge force of ships (80k or so) that decided to attack me. I had to create a fallback bottleneck, but it was better than losing...
Just that guy who hides behind walls of death hoping that they stay up.

Offline Traveller

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 06:45:28 pm »
Nuke Mk.I is the only nuke worth using, if you use any at all.  Very, very, very last resort, but yes do keep one around if you don't like save scumming.

I think even the developers said that Mk.II and Mk.III were essentially jokes.  Mk.II is way overkill and the AIP will murder you; Mk.III is worse for you than for the AI, since they probably have way more nuke-immune units than you do, and they don't need supply.  It's there for a fun achievement and not much else.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 07:14:45 pm »
If yes, then what marks?
Mk I can be a decent way to deal with certain hordes of Mk IV or lower ships, or to remove supply from a particularly difficult system (neutralize a Mk III Fortress, for example).

They are pretty niche, but they can be essential.  Example - I won one of my first Showdown games by nuking my homeworld - It had been targeted by a counter-wave, and I had no fleet or fixed defenses nearby.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 01:33:37 am »
If yes, then what marks?
"I just nuked 417k ships like herp a derp"
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,16525.msg182495.html#msg182495
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 01:41:58 am »
Errr...

Don't pause ?

That way you'll mearn to build and defend as if you couldn't pause. And be that much faster in next games.
Using pause actually makes you faster in-game time because you can do multiple things at once.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:43:33 am by Kahuna »
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 03:12:11 am »
Using pause actually makes you faster in-game time because you can do multiple things at once.

Kahuna, you've completely missed the point. Of course pausing makes you faster in "in-game time". It's also kind of the first point in the OP too. "1: For shorter unpaused time, use pause a lot and do multiple things at once."

But, my comment aimed to give you the benefits of NOT pausing. By playing while not pausing, you're learning :
- to play faster (more clicks and so on).
- to automate tasks. Whatever is requiring your attention (and therefore pausing) might just not require it.
- to think faster (because you have to take your decisions faster)
- to multitask more efficiently (because it happens in real time).

Therefore you're reducing both the play-time and the paused-time. Would the unpaused-time be reduced as well ? Yes, it would. If a situation does not require your attention you can focus on something else, and obviously if you trained to think and play faster, you'll be faster.

If you want to experiment "how" this works outside of AI war, I'd suggest playing dungeon of the endless. While it requires to keep track of less variables, it does require multi-tasking and one of the main skills of the game is when to pause. Then you unlock a game mode where you can't pause. When you come "back" to the "regular" game... you're wondering why you paused so much in the first place.

Offline gia

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 09:20:03 pm »
What he's saying is train your plain RTS mechanical skills, to increase your APM, if you can increase your APM you can finish games faster, pause or not. To force yourself to push your physical limits you have to plain without pausing (and when that is too easy increase game speed permanently and stuff :P). Although if you reached korean level you'd probably be playing starcraft and not a 4x :P

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 01:59:49 am »
Exactly what I meant =).

And yes maybe not to korean level ;)

Offline Radiant Phoenix

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 03:58:44 pm »
Another reason I thought of to go faster: it might let me beat the demo.  >D

I'll probably want to go back to smaller galaxies for that, though.

Offline Radiant Phoenix

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 11:57:49 pm »
I'm trying a "go faster" run here. Half-or-so of the galaxy in under 15 minutes. :p

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk