Author Topic: AI War "Tip of the Day" -- What do you wish you'd known?  (Read 105307 times)

Offline busfahrer

• Newbie Mark II
Re: AI War "Tip of the Day" -- What do you wish you'd known?
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2011, 07:45:11 am »
I don't know if this has already been mentioned: "Alerts can be clicked to directly go to the planet view"

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2011, 01:42:34 pm »
I wish I had known I could select the location of my homeworld and pick whichever bonus ship type on the map when starting a new campaign. I didn't know I could chose my starting location(s) until I read people talking about it on the forum. Before then I would just start a new campaign and the computer would randomly decide wherever I would start out.

So...

when creating a new campaign, you can chose the bonus ship(s)you want to start with by simply clicking on one or more of the ship icons at the big galaxy map. Note that clicking on one of these icons will also make the selected icon the location of your homeworld, so be carefull of selecting a spot with to many wormhole exits.

... or something like that :P

Offline Orelius

« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2011, 04:10:46 pm »
I wish I had known earlier that turning off your more inefficient reactors, like your mark III reactors, can help boost your economy!  You have no need for extra energy, and the reactors have an upkeep.  If you want to have more resource income, you can simply temporarily turn off a mark III generator or two, and then turn it back on when you need the energy!

Offline Red Spot

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2011, 12:16:10 pm »
Something I just came up with.

I kept losing a planet I didn't intend to actually keep but it is needed to make the jump to the next planet so I wish to keep it, even if just to keep the adjacent planets in supply.
So I put a cloaker starship nextdoor, hiding a transport with in it a colony ship. When the CC got nuked I just send in the transport, build a new CC, build a new colony ship, hid it in the transport and send the transport back to the planet where the cloaker is waiting to hide it for the AI :)
Put a couple of mk1 engies in the transport to speed up the procedure a bit.

I came to this as I was hiding my Zenith Space Time Manipulators at the edge of planets under a cloaker, and they stay alive even if a planets defences fail :)

Offline Bas92

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2011, 02:16:17 am »
I wish I had known that you can rename planets.  It's a great help for me now. I simply rename my homeworld "HOME" and all adjacent planets "HOME-1", "HOME-2" etc. Now I immediately know if my homeworld is in danger!

(not sure if this has already been mentioned :) )

Offline Ranakastrasz

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2011, 11:29:34 am »
I wish I had known that you can rename planets.  It's a great help for me now. I simply rename my homeworld "HOME" and all adjacent planets "HOME-1", "HOME-2" etc. Now I immediately know if my homeworld is in danger!

(not sure if this has already been mentioned :) )
WHAT? How do you rename planets? that would be so useful...

Offline Bas92

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2011, 11:55:49 am »
Go to the galaxy map and then click on notes. When you write a note about a planet, you can change the name of that planet.
It is indeed very useful to give your planet names like "Home", "Home-1", "Frontline 1", etc.

Offline Ranakastrasz

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2011, 02:18:03 pm »
Go to the galaxy map and then click on notes. When you write a note about a planet, you can change the name of that planet.
It is indeed very useful to give your planet names like "Home", "Home-1", "Frontline 1", etc.
That helps alot, thanks.

Offline mindloss

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2011, 03:12:09 am »
Not really game-related... but if you happen to want to skip a track of music (*cough* that one ill-fitting guitar song), you can click settings and disable/enable music, and it starts a new track.

(I haven't done it myself, but I read that for a more permanent solution, you can delete the actual songs off your computer.)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #144 on: August 31, 2011, 09:18:27 am »
Not really game-related... but if you happen to want to skip a track of music (*cough* that one ill-fitting guitar song), you can click settings and disable/enable music, and it starts a new track.

(I haven't done it myself, but I read that for a more permanent solution, you can delete the actual songs off your computer.)
Just delete the .ogg file if you don't want it in the rotation :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2011, 01:19:57 pm »

I would just rename it, that way if you change your mind or need it again for whatever reason, it is still there. The files are pretty small, so space shouldn't be concern.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2011, 01:21:19 pm »

I would just rename it, that way if you change your mind or need it again for whatever reason, it is still there. The files are pretty small, so space shouldn't be concern.
You would need to move it in that case; it just takes any .ogg file it finds in those folders.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2011, 01:23:09 pm »

You would need to move it in that case; it just takes any .ogg file it finds in those folders.

Sorry, I meant renaming as in changing the extension. Unless it tries to play any ogg file regardless of extension.

Offline mindloss

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2011, 08:30:02 pm »
You can manually set targets for turrets.

Offline mindloss

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2011, 10:36:25 pm »
If you've split your fleet into several control groups, you can select multiple groups by holding down shift.

(Example: have teleporters in group 3, bombers in 2, and everything else in 1? Hold shift and hit 1 2 3 to select them all.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk