Author Topic: Techno Showdown  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
Techno Showdown
« on: September 11, 2014, 01:18:09 am »
I've never won with the Showdown on difficulty 10. I aim to change this. I'm also setting this up to be reasonably fair, with gentle minor factions/plots to compensate for the technologist aspect:

60 planets Spokes, Fireflies (1890059773)

Complete visibility, mono waves, ultra low caps, no swallowers. 2 champions*

10/10 Techno Turtle/Support Corps // Spire Hammer /Techno Sledge

Resistance 10
Rebellions 4
Golems Hard 4
Wardens 4
Enclaves 4
Civilian Leaders
Spirecraft 4
Alt champs 10 *(no mod forts, no minion starships)
Nemesis 7
Showdown Devices
Exodian Blade

Plots:
Hybrids 10/10
Advanced Hybrids 10/10
Shark B 0/4

Operation Opening Scramble

I have a sneaking suspicion that the spire fleet costs were not updated when their strength was tripled. So by the first wave, I have fireflies II and militaryIIIs unlocked. I also have every mkI turret with a bonus against heavy built, and the Negotiators have an all-laser build. And three additional forcefields built.

Against 6 frigates and a destroyer, it was barely enough. The champions were out of charge, and the forcefields were in the red. But nothing was lost. Compared the spire ships, the three caps of mkIV bombers barely registered, with the military substations holding them back.

The next forty minutes are a manic scramble to free all the civilian leaders. Thanks to fireflies, rapidly levelling champs, and jumpships, I have control of 3 of them when the hour is up, with the rest in empty systems. Then I instantly colonize 5 of them, for a total of 45 AIP reduction.

Consolidating takes a while.

Unlocks:
FirefliesIII
EnclavesIII
RiotsII
EngineersIII
HarvestersIII
Econ stationsIII
Military stationsIII
ForcefieldsII
Missile TurretsIII
Gravity TurretsIII

Captured:
Core Laser Controller
Both archives (extracted)
MLRS fab
Cursed Golem (repaired)
Artillery Golem (inactive)
FactIV, StarIV.

At 1:34 a wave declares. 1600 mkIV bombers, 31 mkIV starships to one of the hubs. I think I'm ready for it. I've got two shadow battleships, mkI fleetships/starships, mkIV enclaves, a cursed golem, 4 mkIII martyrs, 4 mk III translocators, missile turrets 1-IV, all turrets mkI, basic minefields, 2 penetrators, fireflies mkI-IV with full engineer support, core laser turrets, and a gravIII network, all around

The final carrier unloads. It has 2 frigates. And a cruiser. And 3 dreadnaughts. And decloakers, which, as their name suggests, decloak my rams, which are promptly obliterated. Also, gravity turrets simply melt to no effect against the spire fleet.

Fortunately, they decide to try to kill my cursed golem, which kites them easily. Still, a lot of damage was inflicted.

I repaired the damage and my artillery golem.

Hacked to redirect etherjets to railpods (and then capture that system), and download torpedo frigates, which I unlock to mkIII.

Next wave is dispatched without issue, thanks to the artillery golem.

The two hour mark passes, and I colonize the last civilian leaders. AIP 109.
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Techno Showdown
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 08:53:31 am »
I've never won with the Showdown on difficulty 10. I aim to change this.
That will probably either be fun or !!fun!!, which sounds like a win-win to me.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the spire fleet costs were not updated when their strength was tripled.
FWIW the costs-for-wave of those were tripled along with the rest, though potentially that wasn't enough.  In this case it may just be the "if Diff 10, then kick them in the teeth" logic.

Promising start, thus far.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:33:56 am »
I've never won with the Showdown on difficulty 10. I aim to change this.
Should be easy on this map.
Still haven't tried showdown myself. Will be interesting to see what kind of response it triggers on 10/10.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Nodor

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:58:16 pm »
I detect "protected Spire Civilian leaders cheese".

Assuming you can survive the early Exo's, you should be in a position where the AIP floor matters more than the actual AIP.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk