Author Topic: Taking Screenshots  (Read 43607 times)

Offline quickstix

• Buy Now
Taking Screenshots
« on: January 16, 2010, 09:26:22 pm »
Taking screenies with the PrtSc key is good for single screenies, however I sometimes forget I've taken a screenshot and either make another one, or forget to save the screenie when I quit AI War.

Without a screen cap key in AI War at the moment, what (free) methods do people have of taking multiple screenshots in AI War that automatically save to a certain location. Currently I'm looking at FRAPS or XFire and deciding at what will have the smallest impact on my system (FRAPS looks good in this regard). Anyone have some suggestions?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Taking Screenshots
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 09:27:37 pm »
I use FRAPs for my own video-taking needs with the game.  Definitely a good one.

UPDATE 7/13/2011:   This thread is waaay out of date with regard to screenshots.  As of version 4.0 of the game, all you have to do is hit the F12 key and it will log a full-resolution png file right into your screenshots folder.  All of the discussion in this thread was back before we moved to the Unity 3D engine.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:52:06 am by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline quickstix

• Buy Now
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 09:45:21 pm »
Sounds good to me, compatibility was something I wasn't sure of either. FRAPS looks like the way to go.

Thanks again.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 09:46:10 pm »
Sure thing!  XFire is also compatible, so either actually works.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline raptor331

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 08:57:18 pm »
Sure thing!  XFire is also compatible, so either actually works.

Yup I use XFire myself, thought one question, how do you insert the pics from xfire onto a post instead of just being an attachment.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:58:57 pm »
Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I think you need to upload your pictures to something like PhotoBucket, and then link them using the IMG tag in order to have them show up in the body.  In my case, I use the Arcen FTP, but it amounts to the same thing.  I am nowt aware of a way to use SMF forums to upload an attached image and also have it show in the body of that same post.  But again, someone correct me if I'm wrong -- hopefully I am!

Offline quickstix

• Buy Now
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 09:17:24 pm »
When you upload to photobucket, there is a way to make clickable thumbnails. This is the ideal way to do it, as the bandwidth use is done by Photobucket, not Arcengames. You get 10GB bandwidth with photobucket.

http://photobucket.com/faq?catID=49&catSelected=f&topicID=403

This is what I have done for my AAR, so check that out to see the results.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 09:25:53 pm »
Its ideal for arcengames, but not for the reader, it switches to a new tab and thus requires you to click through your tabs back to the forums here (unless you only have 1 tab open.. in that case, use your tabs better ,p)

I really dislike photobucket as well because not only does it open a new tab, it requires me to click zoom in all the time (annoying) ^^
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 09:27:39 pm »
You can embed fullsize images in posts using photobucket and other similar sites, too.  It's then ideal for everyone, no zooming or clicking or anything. :)

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 09:29:33 pm »
I use LightScreen for my screenshots. Very configurable, easy to use, and incredibly tiny footprint. There's even a portable apps version if you don't want both megabytes on your hard drive.

http://lightscreen.sourceforge.net/

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 09:31:06 pm »
I am moving this to the AAR thread and stickying it, because I think it is most relevant there.

Offline quickstix

• Buy Now
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 09:59:09 pm »
Here is how you embed a photobucket thumbnail which links directly to the picture and doesn't open it in a new tab.

First, you grab the 'IMG clickable thumbnail for message board' link from your photobucket album. For example, it may look like this:

Code: [Select]
[URL=http://s803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/quickstix/AI%20War%20Report%201/?action=view&current=aiwar1.jpg][IMG]http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/quickstix/AI%20War%20Report%201/th_aiwar1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Now, to link directly to the picture, you need to remove '?action=view&current=' from the URL opening tag, so it will look like this:

[URL=http://s803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/quickstix/AI%20War%20Report%201/aiwar1.jpg][IMG]http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/quickstix/AI%20War%20Report%201/th_aiwar1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Finally, change the URL tags to iurl to stop it from opening in a new window, like this:

[iurl=http://s803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/quickstix/AI%20War%20Report%201/aiwar1.jpg][IMG]http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/quickstix/AI%20War%20Report%201/th_aiwar1.jpg[/IMG][/iurl]
Enjoy.

Edit: Fixed the opening iurl tag in the third codebox.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:45:31 pm by quickstix »

Offline carlosjuero

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 07:51:08 am »
I don't really care for PhotoBucket or ImageShack - the ads and slow loading annoy the heck out of me when I click for a full version :/ (they slip some ads right by AdBlock)

Instead I use Google's Picasaweb - ads are more understated, interface is cleaner, and it seems to work much faster for me.

Offline raptor331

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 11:25:16 am »
I've tried it but it only shows the red x... Am I the only on seeing this?

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 11:49:03 am »
Whats the code you are trying to use?
[code] text [/code] is the way to display it without the forum parsing it (i think)

Oh.. i see the forum doesn't allow to display the code* of the code command in a code tag ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:50:35 am by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk