Author Topic: Steamrolled...the AI!  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
Steamrolled...the AI!
« on: April 22, 2010, 12:17:37 pm »
So I was tired of getting my ass handed to me again and again, and figured I might just lower the difficulty a little bit. So I started a new game, with two homeworlds against two lvl 5 AIs, one Shield Ninny (wow, easy) and The Tank. No wave warnings and CPA type waves. All minor factions and shiptypes enabled.

Let me tell you that two homeworlds really made a world (sorry for the pun) of difference. The initial resource boost is a huge boon, and the doubled ship caps aren't bad either. I never came across any heavy resistance, and I must honestly say that the lack of waves from the Ninny coupled with the pitiful waves from the Tank never ever threatened me. I captured three mark IV factories and four ARS after finally slamming the last homeworld with over 7700 ships. Let me tell you...that lagged. Big time :D Almost 8000 ships going through a wormhole and calculating collisions weren't pretty. The Ninny didn't even put up a fight when 3000 ships swarmed his homeworld. He just rolled over and died. The Tank actually put up a fight and managed to kill some 1500 infiltrators before dieing.

Pretty unexciting game, and I think I went way below my skill level here, because nowhere in this game were I challenged at any points. I've only ran single homeworld, no handicap games versus easy/medium lvl 7 up to 7.6 AIs before, and those are just a tad too hard for me. Won one, though.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
Re: Steamrolled...the AI!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 07:06:13 pm »
Try the save i'm uploading; it should be reasonably hard but fun. I just completed a game on it, so i know it's not completely ridiculous or anything.
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 09:09:47 am »
Yea, any difficulty below 7 is likely to be less-than-challenging to a reasonably experienced player (not necessarily successful, just experienced).  How about 2 7.0 diffs with a modest handicap in your favor?  If I was picking them I'd probably pick a fortress baron and a tank for fairly easy but decently active AI types.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 12:05:26 pm »
Yeah, going up against a Special Forces Captain and a Grav driller now. Otherwise same setup, will see how it turns out.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:32:42 pm »
my fav combo is special forces + mad bomber  ;D

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 06:43:18 pm »
:o never touching a mad bomber again. You need a mass driver and tons of fighters to effectively deal with him.

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Offline Kjara

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 03:06:21 pm »
Or lots of dreadnoughts +fighters :)

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 06:31:14 pm »
Or lots of dreadnoughts +fighters :)
Ah, but the mass driver is better; all the AI ships try to zerg rush it anytime a wave hits that system :)

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 09:00:00 pm »
:o never touching a mad bomber again. You need a mass driver and tons of fighters to effectively deal with him.

mad bomber is easy to deal with imo, his planets are virtually undefended and MK1 + Mk2 fighters on defence deals with his waves super easily

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk