Author Topic: One-planet challenge  (Read 1703 times)

Offline mindloss

• Full Member Mark II
One-planet challenge
« on: September 01, 2011, 07:00:56 pm »
I love the one city challenge in Civ 4/5, so I figured I'd try playing only one planet. I suck, and I had no idea how hard it would be or not, so I set myself on a 16-star map against two 2s.

I won, but it was a grind. I didn't realize that by setting myself at the end of a corridor with only one wormhole, I'd be limiting my knowledge raiding options to that one adjacent system (since you need supply to raid, and I wasn't letting myself take any more systems.) So, that's the one of the two big challenges; you basically get a fixed knowledge cap of 13500 points, period... better spend it wisely. The other one is the total lack of an economy, but that's more an issue with patience, at least at that difficulty level.

I spent my ubervaluable knowledge points on... I think it was Mk2 Bombers, Mk2/3 Bomber Starship and a couple of odds and ends that fit in the rest. I neutered the first AI's homeworld completely except for his actual command center, and then made sure I destroyed both of them within a few minutes of each other... so the net effect is that my AIP was 4 to 6 for the whole game. :D  (Would have been negative, but that was the floor.) I don't know if it was the super easy level, or the total lack of AIP (or both, probably), but there was absolutely nothing so far as forces went. He never amassed an army larger than 60 ships anywhere. His waves were consistently something like 13 tech 1 fighters. He had a few counterattacks after failed attempts of mine to win which actually tested my turret system a bit, but that was the closest he came to scary.

Anyway, it's a different way to play. I recommend giving it a try once if you like that sort of thing. Once is probably all you'll need. :P

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
Re: One-planet challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:16:07 pm »
I've always wanted to try that-good job on winning, I doubt I'd be able to do as well as that, even against diff 2 AIs.I doubt it'd even be possible on larger maps.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline Mayjori

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 03:45:04 am »
sounds WAY too tedious

Offline mindloss

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 06:27:06 am »
Not that much different from a normal game. Ended up taking 4 or 5 hours, although I think it could've been more like 2 or 3 if I were a little more aggressive. Probably an hour of that was me away from the computer letting my resources build up some. :P

Offline Burnstreet

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 01:40:01 am »
I just tried this, It was easy and done in 1h50.
Took a 16 planet lattice map, AI 2/2 random easier, ended up with a one.way-doormaster and something else. The map was interesting, every second sector had a golem I coulnd't get :(, no datacenters. So I could not stay at 0 AIP, ended up with ~50 before killing the home worlds.
Waves were neglible like in the OPs game. Lattice map gave me more chances to knowledge raid, but I only did 2 worlds (they spawned 3 t1 units every few seconds, not worth much effort). I wouldn't have needed it, but this way I could bring 2 units to T3 - Bombers and Space Planes.
Space planes were the ideal bonus ship type for this game, as they nearly never die with auto-kiting on, saving my resources for other things.the Bombers were just to reduce the time needed to kill the core force fields and fortresses.
I think it should be doable on diff 7, too, but I won't test that today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk