Author Topic: First game with AI 3.0  (Read 2022 times)

Offline pallenda

• Newbie Mark III
First game with AI 3.0
« on: March 29, 2010, 12:58:06 pm »
A few friends and myself bought the AI War 2.0 on steam some 6 months ago. We did a small campaign at a lanparty which I think we won.  After a long break I bought and installed AI expansion.

Without reading much I properly made a huge mistake that made me feel like a mega-noob (if that's even a word). :D

I started a game:

20 Planets (I thought few = short and easy)
Tree style (I thought easy defend)
1231933594 seed
2x AI Random Harder 4 Very Easy CPU's
AI 1 Attritioner
AI 2 Special Forces Captain

Post game reflection:

20 planets meant that I had 11 planets when hitting a lvl4 base, I tried lots of things even resurrecting a vampire golem ship that lasted a good while but could handle the 1000+ tech3-5 ships. I ended up being desperate and tying to go Nuke way and did actually clear out one lvl4 base system of one of the AIs. But his revenge was swift as he made 2 jumps and popped the 2nd Nuke I had ready foolishly in the same system as all of my 2300+ ships and 10 docs. Boom... and then I was done for. :)

20 planets most likely meant I could not get high enough knowledge (as I read on some other post here on the forum).
Tree style did mean I could defend easy, but also meant that I could not get to 4 of the easy systems.
Speeding the game up to +10 speed is maybe not the best just because you want something fast, hence I hit 24 hours in-game time.

I had fun, but I'm not sure I found it easy. :)

After licking my wounds I think I'm ready for another go. I have played lots of Starcraft/Warcraft3 in the past so this is really something different.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:44:53 pm by pallenda »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: First game with AI 3.0
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 01:00:52 pm »
Looks like a rough game, there. :)  Very cool, though!  Glad you enjoyed it -- and welcome to the forums!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline pallenda

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 01:50:09 pm »
I think my next will be:

30 Planets
Tree style
606933594 seed
AI Random Moderate 5 Easy CPU's

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 06:53:30 pm »
Low planet count is actually a significantly harder game, for a number of reasons, as I'm sure you've found ;)  80 may seem like it will take a while, but if you were hitting 24 game hours (granted, at +10), you could have finished a 120 planet map in that time depending on how it went.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk