Author Topic: Double Godlike  (Read 10796 times)

Offline allmybase

Double Godlike
« on: April 16, 2010, 05:49:23 am »
Yup, just did it legit  :o

Here's the save a couple minutes before it's over; you can try for yourself if you like.

The save is extremely extremely down to the wire. It really feels like that final battle in ender's game.

The total game took about 5 hours (more in real time, I reloaded a lot).

It's a 10 planet map, there are no handicaps or cheats, but I did turn off waves. The AI are both level 10, one is mad bomber one is tank.

I generated a map where my one homeplanet (I don't know how the other guy started with 8 home planets, that would have made things really easy for me to have that many resources) bordered all 9 of them, which helped because it took out all possibilities of ions (level 10 AIs have 3 ion IIs in their core planet otherwise...)

With 9 wormholes in I put about 30 basic mlrs turrets around my command post and used a strike force of 170 fighters in one transport (researched that off the bat) to quickly knock out the 7 non-home planets. The transports drew fire from the special ops post so I never lost a single fighter. After I capped all the non home planets I researched command station III (resources are really scarce, didn't't want to wait so long for things to trickle in), fighters III bombers III, and beam canon I (which turned out to be useless I'll explain later).

There were no zenith powers which would have made things a lot easier, but anyways I resourced up, then my attack plan was to wear out 8-9 core guard posts on each planet by cheesing them with transports; I would send in one as a decoy which would just about instantly die, and the other 2 would flee the bullets and drop capped ships of fighters I/II on the core guard posts. Core guard posts don't take bonus damage from bombers so fighters are the great obvious choice, they do more basic damage and they are a lot cheaper and faster to build. It takes 2-3 volleys from the 300'ish fighters to kill a guard post. I couldn't take out all 10 because a couple were under core force fields.

Even after I took out 8-9 core guard posts, both ai home planets had reinforced with about 3000 core ships plus they kept attaching more lightning turrets and warping in mark IVs from their exo galaxy wormholes. I was at quite a loss, I dumped about 20 or so lightning warheads into the weakest planet then I changed my mind this wasn't working, and my resources/knowledge are simply too low because of the 10 planet map and also because both homeplanets were immediately on alert.

So I say: the enemy's gate is down.

I fill out my cap in fighters/bombers mark I/II/III/IV and I happen to have a core fabricator for bombers too which is nice. They all load into 5 or 6 transports. I have 5 or 6 more as decoy transports.

I launch a nuclear warhead into the first AI planet, the reason being I needed to get rid of a horrendous pile of MKIVs buzzing about the command stations. This also has the happy effect of angering about 2000 core ships around the wormhole.

How did I survive that with crap technology/knowledge/resources?

Hello lightning warheads for defense.

When they warp in a bunch at a time, I detonate a warhead on them. Whoosh there goes 500 core ships at a time, no problem =)

So I defeat the massive backwash after the nuke, but before they're even quite dead I simulatenously send my transport fleet into their homeworld.

The decoys run away to draw any ships they can, while the core command station is pretty free of ships thanks to the nuke (for some reason they were gating in MKIVs from the exo galaxy to the command station, not reinforcing with cores which helped a lot. Also for some reason they didn't build any fighters at all, which helped let me bombers survive longer).

The enemy's gate is down - my 500'ish bombers and 500'ish fighters blow the living heck out of the command post, I have like 100 bombers left.

But RUH ROH. Now the "real" backwash comes, all of the remaining troops and 5 zeniths >_< I warhead on their IVs/Vs again, but the zeniths get my command station. So I reload and this time I build anti starship arachnids from a fabricator and I have the loop on my dock set to fighters. I barely kick out those super deadly zeniths - they manage to blow out my force field and scratch my command post before my swarm of fighters and arachnids barely knock them out.

One AI world down.

I rebuild the tractor defenses - scrap them and put them next to the second AI home planets wormhole, rebuild my troops, very standard prepping like I did for the first home world.

I try the same tactic, Nuke + defend against backwash with warheads + transport decoys + go for the station, but it keeps failing because this time one of their core guard posts is right next to their command station under a bubble and they have a ton of cores there that don't get angered by the nuke because they are too far away. I can break the shield but I only scratch the station before all the troops swarm in on me, even when I try transport decoying and all that lovely stuff. I suppose I could have managed it with better micro, or I suppose I could have done it smarter by rushing the core guard post earlier with tons of bombers to get rid of the force field, but the solution I come up with is simply try to brute force it - I resurrect mr artillery golem.

And there's where the save starts - the final crazy assault on the second ai homeworld.

They have reinforced after the nuke with a lot of IVs on the command post so there's some resistance there, but somehow I manage to mickey mouse it anyways. The bomber/fighter swarm crack the shield, at which point I order the artillery golem to assist and fire upon the station.

I had to reload a couple times to get it right, one time their damn engineers repaired the station to full in between my artillery shot -_-a but somehow I manage to crack the homeworld and get the double godlike achievement =)

I could go back to a previous save and time my nuking and decoys a little tighter so there weren't any reinforcements to get a less risky last save, but I'm just so relieved I did it and happy it's over. Not looking back, I'm burnt out.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Double Godlike
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:01:43 am »
I generated a map where my one homeplanet (I don't know how the other guy started with 8 home planets, that would have made things really easy for me to have that many resources)

You just click more than one before you start the game. ;)

Offline allmybase

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:51:56 pm »
So my guess is either you guys are shocked or don't believe me, looking at the lack of responses  ??? :o

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 05:49:54 pm »
For me it's more of i don't quite feel that doing it on a 10 planet map is really an achievement, since you've cut it straight down to end-game more or less :)
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 07:24:34 pm »
10 planet? oh please  ;D

40 planet minimal for it to be an achivement, 80 optimal, and 'Simple' map type
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:26:31 pm by superking »

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 07:44:04 pm »
Playing on 10 maps doesn't make it that much easier, since all planets would be on alert. But no waves is a big factor on DIF 10 that means the AI looses 50% combat ability - though i have to admit your method of getting the achievement is nice. ;)

Thankfully, i am not an achievement collector but if i were i would now load your save... and get the achievements as well ;P

Actually, i just remembered that 10 planets makes it much easier, because you incur less AI penalties meaning the AI is less mean ^^
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:47:19 pm by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 07:52:34 pm »
Thankfully, i am not an achievement collector but if i were i would now load your save... and get the achievements as well ;p
IIRC, that doesn't work because it's not 'your' campaign.

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 07:58:16 pm »
Mhh, does the game notice that? Interesting ;)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline allmybase

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 01:20:39 am »
I was inspired to try this after I read the other godlike post.

Funny though that all I get is negative comments about it not being a real achieve when I did something harder than the other guy did.

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 01:32:58 am »
I was inspired to try this after I read the other godlike post.

Funny though that all I get is negative comments about it not being a real achieve when I did something harder than the other guy did.
For the record, i don't consider what the other guy did that hard either.
That's not to say you didn't beat level 10 AIs (which i suppose is an achievement in a way regardless of the map size), it's just that it seems you set out to make the achievement as easy as possible rather than getting it the "intended" way.

Offline allmybase

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 01:34:59 am »
If you really feel that way you'd be complaining to the developers for making the achieve too easy, not at me for finding a way to make it happen.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 05:50:17 am »
Well, i think its pretty impressive that you managed this regardless of settings ;p

Offline ShadowOTE

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 12:21:06 pm »
If you really feel that way you'd be complaining to the developers for making the achieve too easy, not at me for finding a way to make it happen.

Check suggestions. He just did  :o

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 04:47:28 pm »

Check suggestions. He just did  :o
Lol, yeah i did but i forgot to post back here :)

Offline allmybase

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 03:41:54 am »
I think 10 planet maps are harder for a number of reasons (and quite a few players and the designer himself thinks that 10 planet maps are much harder than 80 planet maps)

1) lower resources, lower knowledge
2) ARS can spawn on the AI homeworld (-2 ARS right there)
3) never seen a zenith powerplant spawn which is a huge resource boost
4) put AI home planets on alert from the beginning

You say it's skipping to the end game, but it's an end game where you have pitiful resources, pitiful knowledge, and both AI planets are permanently on alert. And the science researched I got were bottom of the barrel in terms of direct assault on the final planet- eye bot, sniper, etherjet, and electric shuttle.

The end game is much easier in 80 planet maps because you can dump thousands of units on an unalerted home planet, which is usually the case and not remotely a challenge.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk