Author Topic: accidently the whole viral shredder  (Read 11291 times)

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
accidently the whole viral shredder
« on: May 16, 2010, 08:34:28 am »
I just lost a game in the best way yet.

It has reached my attention that the zenith mirror is insanely effective against just about everything, and always have ridiculously good kill/death ratios. They are even fairly effective against frigates, their counter.
SO, I started a new game, 80 planet, difficulty 8, zenith mirrors as bonus units.
Unlocked Zenith Mirror MKIII off the bat. Built almost nothing but zenith mirrors and flagships.
In the first two hours I neutered every planet within 4 jumps of my homeworld, mostly playing completely macro (ie, sending 500 mirrors onto a planet with FRD and then coming back 10 minutes later to move them onto another planet.

This was going very well indeed and I was showing a kill/death ratio of about 900%, when I suddenly received a taunt from the AI:

'Why do you throw your lives away?'

Naturally, I lolled- 'What crap you talkin, son? I'mma kickin aaasss' and went to look for my vast fleet of Zenith Mirrors... only it wasn't there. or anywhere else. I franticallly checked the planet map, but my entire battlefleet had just.. dissappeared.

The last planet I had send it onto was an MKIII world that had about 100 defenders. My destroyed fleet was about 600 ships. I stared at the incomplete planet display of the MKIII world- I had no scouts on the planet- and ran my eye down the list of ships within... fighters... bombers... frigates... eyebots... viral shredders... not more than 20 of each. My brain continued to tick over without reaching any conclusions and shrugging, I went back to planet to rebuild my mega mirror fleet of doom.

two minutes later, 1400 MKII viral shredders blasted through a wormhole and onto my homeplanet and it all became terribly, terribly clear.

zenith mirrors have massive massive HP, and all units do 40x damage to zenith mirrors... thats 40x the multiplication speed of viral shredders. My vast fleet of zenith mirrors had successfully turned about 30 viral shredders into one and a half thousand thanks to my awe-inspiring attentiveness.

As an added bonus, my entire homeworld defence force consisted of... Zenith Mirrors. After a few minutes of battle, there were almost 1600 Viral shredders. I self destructed my last 200 zenith mirrors before they caused further spread, but that left 1600 MKII Viral shredders about a minutes distance from my completely undefended command center.

I managed to construct 40 MKI flak guns before they arrived, and about 80 fighters.
long story short it... it didn't work.

It was a great game, I felt thoughroughly outsmarted. I love the way that zenith shredders will target and chase mirrors in favour of any other kind of unit. I know its just the damage bonus at work but it gives a neat illusion of intelligence (and leads to horrendous disaster if you pro it up like me)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:45:30 am by superking »

Offline ShadowOTE

Re: accidently the whole viral shredder
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:49:04 am »
Heh, Viral Shredders are pretty amusing. I've never played against the AI when they had them unlocked though. Sounds like you had an interesting game!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 10:51:54 am »
Very cool aar. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Winter Born

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 10:28:35 pm »
LOL had me in tears.  I just started my 1st game against AI shredders. bonus ship MRLS though.

Offline Giegue

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:51:43 am »
I had 3 planets pwned by a lvl 3 zenith decendant with an avenger. after I spent 2 entire fleets destroying it, I had the 3rd destroyed by the remaining fortifications on the former home planet, as well as about 100 viral shredders. If it weren't for my black widow golem and vampires, I would have alot more.

rubikscube

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 10:01:36 pm »
lol, i suppose each attack on the mirror causes 1, times that by 20, times that by 10 shots a minute :o

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 03:28:20 am »
I loled pretty hard.  Gotta love those checks and balances.  :P
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk