Author Topic: 2011: An AI War Odyssey  (Read 2827 times)

Offline MuttersomeTaxicab

2011: An AI War Odyssey
« on: February 15, 2011, 10:27:19 am »
Hey all,
I've been toying with doing a long-running blog of an AI War game for a while now. With Light of the Spire hitting steam yesterday, it seems like now's a good a time as any.

The purpose of this is firstly to dispel the idea that AI War is some impenetrable beast of RTS madness.
Also, it'll be written from the perspective of someone who is relatively new to the game and isn't hip to all the numbers rolling behind the scenes. Hopefully that combination of cluelessness, humour and enthusiasm will encourage others to give it a shot. I know Rock Paper Shotgun tried a similar run, but stopped after one entry.

Admittedly, I am not an expert when it comes to AI War. I think the game is terrific and a constantly imposing challenge in my Steam list, but I feel like this will motivate me to more thoroughly explore the game's myriad features.

Anyways, any feedback would be great. I just started with a brief intro and basic broad strokes history of Arcen and combined it with an unhealthy fixation on attack bears.

http://sortofaprotestblog.wordpress.com/2011/02/15/2011-an-ai-war-odyssey-day-0/

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: 2011: An AI War Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 10:40:59 am »
Thank you very much for the support :)  I'll be following those posts.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:10:41 am »
Thanks, Keith!

If this goes well, I'm hoping to do something similar for A Valley Without Wind.

So far, I don't really have a posting schedule set. I'm hoping 1-2 posts a week, but we'll see how things shake out.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 12:08:47 pm »
Attack bears from RA3? They are nice, but my personal favorite pack of dogs in RA1. Those rabies affected dogs would leap 12 feet away to always attack the enemy's throat, then they would proceed to jump another 12 feet to hit another guy the very same second! If three dogs could survive to leap toward a pack of 20 enemies, the dogs would come out on top as they jump from enemy to enemy! I was very saddened that my super dogs were nerfed in the Red Alerts thereafter.

Also welcome fellow C&C fan.
Life is short. Have fun.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:27:47 am »
Attack bears from RA3? They are nice, but my personal favorite pack of dogs in RA1. Those rabies affected dogs would leap 12 feet away to always attack the enemy's throat, then they would proceed to jump another 12 feet to hit another guy the very same second! If three dogs could survive to leap toward a pack of 20 enemies, the dogs would come out on top as they jump from enemy to enemy! I was very saddened that my super dogs were nerfed in the Red Alerts thereafter.

Also welcome fellow C&C fan.

I loved the attack dogs in RA1, too, but felt awful when they were inevitably crushed under uncaring tank treads. At least when the attack bears take on a tank, it plays out (at least in my mind) as this crazy epic battle: THAT FUCKIN' BEAR AIN'T PUTTING UP WITH NO TANK SHIT IN THIS HOUSE.

Either way, I cut my teeth on RTSes with the C&C series. Whether it was killing dinosaurs in vanilla C&C or killing giant ants in RA, I was constantly having a blast. Haven't really tried C&C 4. Gave it a wide berth after all the awful reviews/janky DRM built into it. On paper, it still sounded like an alright idea, I suppose.

At any rate, I still find myself looking to C&C even as I play other RTSes these days.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 09:31:54 am »
FYI, around here it is considered proper etiquette for Attack Bears to shred tanks, but even they may not use the f-word :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Entrenched Homperson

• Full Member Mark II
  • @#%$&*$#@*-&$@##
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:52:46 am »
But it adds so much Color! I like color.
Options are deadly.... :O :O :O

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 01:28:46 pm »
FYI, around here it is considered proper etiquette for Attack Bears to shred tanks, but even they may not use the f-word :)

Haha, my bad. I do tend to get a little bit of sailormouth from time to time.

Also, posted another update about the setup of the game. Will be (actually) getting into some serious gameplay over the weekend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk