Author Topic: Valley 2 Enters Private Alpha -- First Alpha Screens And Video!  (Read 25700 times)

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
Re: Valley 2 Enters Private Alpha -- First Alpha Screens And Video!
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2012, 08:02:07 pm »
Code: [Select]
Fixed a bug where wall-crawlers were immune to homing shots that were fired at them.

Fixed the issue with wall crawlers going glitchy and climbing up into the sky. If you see any further glitches with the wall crawlers, please do let us know!
Best things ever! :D

Offline Gemzo

« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2012, 08:44:17 pm »
I looked at the upcoming patch log and... While making SRF hacking easier is a thing, I think the nerfs are too large. Shorter run and 1/3rd the spawns? The frantic "gotta get out NOW" feeling only works if it's so overwhelmingly difficult, and yet I was complaining about it being impossible. I think there needs to be a different mechanic besides just how many dudes spawn in.

Also, side suggestion: Have alarm lights go off! Tint the area slightly red and such or something, I dunno. Also would light the area up a little I guess. Just a polish suggestion.

Offline khadgar

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2012, 09:18:45 pm »
I looked at the upcoming patch log and... While making SRF hacking easier is a thing, I think the nerfs are too large. Shorter run and 1/3rd the spawns? The frantic "gotta get out NOW" feeling only works if it's so overwhelmingly difficult, and yet I was complaining about it being impossible. I think there needs to be a different mechanic besides just how many dudes spawn in.

Also, side suggestion: Have alarm lights go off! Tint the area slightly red and such or something, I dunno. Also would light the area up a little I guess. Just a polish suggestion.

I think the chance meant less overland distance to reach the SRF entrace, not less SRF rooms to escape from. But I really like the lights idea. All the lights on the way in are normal, on the way out they are red, maybe a klaxon is sounding too. I really like Super Metroid's klaxon. Annoying, but not SUPER annoying. As long as it meshed with the BGM change (or was integrated into the BGM) it would be perfect. SRF escape BGM is one of my favorite pieces in the game.

Super Metroid klaxon reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8ihqJ15kao

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2012, 10:31:50 pm »

I think the chance meant less overland distance to reach the SRF entrace, not less SRF rooms to escape from. But I really like the lights idea. All the lights on the way in are normal, on the way out they are red, maybe a klaxon is sounding too. I really like Super Metroid's klaxon. Annoying, but not SUPER annoying. As long as it meshed with the BGM change (or was integrated into the BGM) it would be perfect. SRF escape BGM is one of my favorite pieces in the game.

Super Metroid klaxon reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8ihqJ15kao

Aye, this.

Less size for the SRF zones was something I'd suggested (and probably others suggested it as well);  they really could take quite some time to go through, as not only do you have to go through multiple areas TOWARDS the computer room, but you'd then have to pass through all of them AGAIN on your way out.   It could take much too long..... particularly if you died and had to do it all over again.

Also, I dont think the "get out now!" feeling NEEDS extreme difficulty in order to work.   I think the SRF buildings should be tougher than other areas, maybe require a bit of extra preparation.... but that's it, really.  The Metroid games are good examples.... those "escape"sequences are generally super easy, but they WORK.

Decreasing the spawns, it's hard to say how that'll work out entirely.   My main problem with it was that they tended to spawn ON the player, which was extremely irritating..... that, and the fact that those werent the only enemies, you still had to deal once again with everything that you'd already defeated on your way in, since ALL of them respawn after you hack the thing.     The screwball extra spawning plus that could equal a sort of situation where a new spawn perhaps smacks you with knockback, and you fly right into a lumpy guy, more knockback, into another baddie..... and so on.  Death by sheer bad luck, never a good thing.

Offline khadgar

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2012, 10:47:59 pm »
My main problem with it was that they tended to spawn ON the player, which was extremely irritating..... that, and the fact that those werent the only enemies, you still had to deal once again with everything that you'd already defeated on your way in, since ALL of them respawn after you hack the thing.     The screwball extra spawning plus that could equal a sort of situation where a new spawn perhaps smacks you with knockback, and you fly right into a lumpy guy, more knockback, into another baddie..... and so on.  Death by sheer bad luck, never a good thing.

I agree, worst part was spawning inside of the player, second worst part was not despawning if you fail. I forgot to mention in my email that in a MP game, monsters spawn next to EVERY player present, rather than just the one carrying the data, so that meant that more players was a bad thing. I'll see what ideas they come up with to prevent being locked inside monsters, as it will be a recurring problem on any section here monsters spawn near the player, i.e. SPOILERSdestroying the main oblivion crystal

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2012, 11:06:43 pm »
Is the reward from those things random? I need double jump to get my next mage tier. And so far have power slide and the stormdash :P Not really looking forward to trying to find yet another research station on mage tier 2 spells.

Offline timebomb

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2012, 11:10:52 pm »
This is looking really awesome. Thanks for the video, I've been anxiously waiting for it.

Offline Gemzo

« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2012, 11:46:51 pm »
@madcow No it isn't random, you'll get double jump next I think.

So uh, if anyone was wondering, having your starter farm in range of the overlord's first move is the RNG declaring GG. Having it in movement range of the starting warp point is rather annoying to overall strategy but managable. Having a food shortage is pretty much game over, and on the highest strategic difficulty you don't get much time to stockpile food before your farm gets wrecked. With the limited mission range now, rebuilding it without getting killed is even more difficult as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk