Author Topic: Upcoming trailer early look?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
Upcoming trailer early look?
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:14:14 am »
I was thinking that it might not be a bad idea if the new trailer (as I recall this was completed earlier in the week?) could be shown to the forumers so that it could be critiqued.  You never know, with some feedback you might be able to make a few last minute alterations to improve marketability. Just stamp it with PREVIEW or something to show it's not the final version. Alternatively, if you really want to be secretive about it, we could voice that we're interested in this thread and you could send us a PM link or something.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Upcoming trailer early look?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 09:17:01 am »
It's actually not completed yet, it's still in progress.  I haven't even seen a version of it yet, aside from initial storyboards.

What happened earlier this week was that I took a lot of footage to get to Kevin for his work in putting the final trailer together.  Prior to that he and Erik and I coordinated on goals, and then I approved the storboards that were laid out to the music.

This week Kevin has been assembling the footage I took, taking more footage of his own, etc.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:26:55 am »
It's actually not completed yet, it's still in progress.  I haven't even seen a version of it yet, aside from initial storyboards.

What happened earlier this week was that I took a lot of footage to get to Kevin for his work in putting the final trailer together.  Prior to that he and Erik and I coordinated on goals, and then I approved the storboards that were laid out to the music.

This week Kevin has been assembling the footage I took, taking more footage of his own, etc.

OK, cool. If you do have the time to give forumers a preview screening (and allowing a little time for possible re-edits), that'd be cool. Sounds like you might be a little up against it time-wise, though, for that.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 09:41:59 am »
Yeah, I think we're going to be pretty much up against the wall with the trailer.  Thankfully, that hasn't been the case with the game itself, though!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:18:49 pm »
Here you are!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVG3AmxfQu4&feature=youtu.be

We're definitely still very much in progress on this, and so feedback actually has a chance to affect this, heh.  Kevin is expecting to wrap the whole thing by Sunday night, I believe.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 08:02:31 pm »
Very early feedback.

There's one thing that stands out -- the trailer doesn't exactly scream multiplayer. There's about a 5 second reference to multiplayer in the entire video (did you spot it). An old school metroidvanian shooter with online multiplayer is a rarity, and should probably be one of your biggest selling points. Maybe you want to deliberately keep the multiplayer a little low-key though, I'm not sure.

Don't just show 2 player multiplayer either, show 3, 5 or whatever the limit is. I'm much more likely to buy games with multiplayer than without it as most of my gaming nowadays is co-op.

Oh, show the bat transform too, that is a big Metroidvanian hint.

One other thing. This game has a large selection of characters. It's quite a nice feature, so show all the different portraits on the character select screen, too.

Maybe more feedback later.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 08:11:42 pm »
A bit of feedback on the feedback:

- First, thanks.

- Good idea on the bat transform.

- Multiplayer is challenging to get footage of that doesn't wreck the framerate because of capturing FRAPS at the same time.  But potentially we could do with a bit more of that.  Technically the limit is 200 players, so we definitely can't do that. ;)

- In terms of the number of characters, we can't really do everything and so for the side view sections I specifically asked to keep it just to the nicest-looking characters.  But showing the character select screen... maybe.  Again, I think that a single trailer can't do everything, and trying to do too much really can derail things.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 08:22:21 pm »
Multiplayer is challenging to get footage of that doesn't wreck the framerate because of capturing FRAPS at the same time.  But potentially we could do with a bit more of that.  Technically the limit is 200 players, so we definitely can't do that.

200, eh? Maybe not that many! Seriously, though, it's imperative that you get the multiplayer over much more strongly than it currently is otherwise you're just throwing sales away.  (Yes, I know you've said that you'll look into it, I'm just strongly emphasizing the point!)

In terms of the number of characters, we can't really do everything and so for the side view sections I specifically asked to keep it just to the nicest-looking characters.  But showing the character select screen... maybe.  Again, I think that a single trailer can't do everything, and trying to do too much really can derail things.

Just a quick glimpse of the character select screen will do -- make sure you show the nicest looking portraits, though! This shows character customization, another nice selling point.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:33:06 pm »
I think it's shaping up pretty nicely!  :)

The only criticism I can offer would be to say that I think during some of the more action-y shots, the camera moves around too rapidly to see what's going on.

I'd buy it, based on what I've seen so far.  I plan to buy it again, actually, in any event.

Offline AragonLA

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 02:51:44 pm »
Very early feedback.

There's one thing that stands out -- the trailer doesn't exactly scream multiplayer. There's about a 5 second reference to multiplayer in the entire video (did you spot it). An old school metroidvanian shooter with online multiplayer is a rarity, and should probably be one of your biggest selling points. Maybe you want to deliberately keep the multiplayer a little low-key though, I'm not sure.

Don't just show 2 player multiplayer either, show 3, 5 or whatever the limit is. I'm much more likely to buy games with multiplayer than without it as most of my gaming nowadays is co-op.

Oh, show the bat transform too, that is a big Metroidvanian hint.

One other thing. This game has a large selection of characters. It's quite a nice feature, so show all the different portraits on the character select screen, too.

Maybe more feedback later.

Hey, Kevin the trailer guy here.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm on the same page on the multiplayer aspect, and I would love to incorporate more. We had originally planned on doing some sort of split screen with multiple players in the same game (with visual crossovers), but doing any capture with MP ends up putting our FPS in the trash (not to mention lag from capturing with multiple characters in the same world). I'm doing some extra capturing today, so I will see if I can get some more MP footage. If it looks great and isn't choppy it'll make it's way into the trailer.

I think the Bat transform is overshadowed by the Dinosaur transform (SOTN is my favorite game ever, so that's not easy for me to say). I've crammed a lot into the trailer, but I think for that aspect I only have time for one shot.

Similarly with the character selection. There's not a whole lot of time, and the selection screen isn't the best visual of the game. For the first couple sections I stuck to two character models to build up to them meeting in the world (and the MP reveal), and then tried to get other models for the remaining adventure footage. Good note and I'm definitely watching out for this.

The only criticism I can offer would be to say that I think during some of the more action-y shots, the camera moves around too rapidly to see what's going on.

Yeah, that's the danger in having such short clips. It takes a moment for the eye to adjust and on some of the clips with a lot of movement it can be a bit sketchy. If there are a few in particular that you're having trouble with let me know (I've watched this thing at least 400 times throughout the editing process, so fresh eyes are incredibly helpful).

Thanks to everyone with feedback so far. We've got just today and tomorrow for all the final edits, so please keep the comments coming!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 04:46:14 pm »
Hi Kevin

Hey, Kevin the trailer guy here.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm on the same page on the multiplayer aspect, and I would love to incorporate more. We had originally planned on doing some sort of split screen with multiple players in the same game (with visual crossovers), but doing any capture with MP ends up putting our FPS in the trash (not to mention lag from capturing with multiple characters in the same world). I'm doing some extra capturing today, so I will see if I can get some more MP footage. If it looks great and isn't choppy it'll make it's way into the trailer.

I wish you luck with that then. It's going to be pretty important to the success of the game, I think, to give multiplayer a much bigger presence than it currently has.

I think the Bat transform is overshadowed by the Dinosaur transform (SOTN is my favorite game ever, so that's not easy for me to say). I've crammed a lot into the trailer, but I think for that aspect I only have time for one shot.

I like the dinosaur transform. I showed my friend the trailer and he also said "it gets extra marks for the dinosaur transform". But there's one thing that the Bat transform does that the Dinosaur transform doesn't -- it helps imply some of the Metroidvanian inspiration behind the game. OK, you can say just transforming does this to some extent, but it's not nearly as strong using a bat transform. Since the word Metroidvanian apparently can't be used in the advertising blurb something like this seems like pretty much the only way to get across (or at least hint) at some of the game's Metroidvanian roots. But, hey, I don't want to lose the dinosaur transform either as it seems pretty cool.

Similarly with the character selection. There's not a whole lot of time, and the selection screen isn't the best visual of the game. For the first couple sections I stuck to two character models to build up to them meeting in the world (and the MP reveal), and then tried to get other models for the remaining adventure footage. Good note and I'm definitely watching out for this.

Given that the character select doesn't look the greatest, I won't complain too much if it doesn't make it into the trailer. People like character customization and showing the reroll screen just seems like the easiest way to get that across. Yes, I realise that is implied by the multiple characters in the trailer, though.

Offline Winge

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 05:02:12 pm »
I love the music in the trailer...perfect choice, if you ask me.

I recommend you show a strategic clip where the Overlord (and maybe a few monsters) are tearing into survivors...like one or two overland spells going on (I recommend Lightning Storm and Meteor Shower), the flashing red boxes streaking towards low-power survivors on valuable looking structures.  A few seconds of a player foolishly trying to make it through a Deciduous Forest at night might be fun too.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 05:12:41 pm »
Also a little footage of some of the more unique specials wouldn't go amiss. Stuff like Storm-dash, or those rocket jump moves.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 06:11:37 pm »
Yeah, feather jetpack might be a good one, that's true.  That shows really well and also looks different from the first game (whereas Storm Dash uses the same visuals from before).

Offline Panopticon

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 04:12:04 am »
I think mentioning that Environ is a world where space and time have been shattered would be cool to set the scene. It could lead into some good screen time for Demonaica and the Henchmen too.

(Don LaFontaine narration) "In a world where space and time has been shattered, a darkness has taken hold in the aftermath. An unlikely hero rises and a resistance begins..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk