Author Topic: Unity3D and AVWW  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Alkerak

Unity3D and AVWW
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:21:39 am »
Hey

I was curious. How did you manage to make a 2D game in Unity3D? Did you used some custom code or the commercial add ons for 2d?

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
Re: Unity3D and AVWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 10:34:41 am »
AI:War is also based on the Unity engine.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 11:17:55 am »
We already had a 2d engine that I'd created in managed directx and then ported to slimdx in 2008. When we moves to unity, we ported the engine we already had over to that. We don't use any of the 2d addons, and we also use very little of unity itself -- no gameobjects, none of its physics or networking, only one scene and one camera that just site there, etc. we basically use graphics.drawmesh and graphics.drawmeshnow, the sound system, their www classes for asset loading at runtime, and their excellent shader system. It's an excellent cross-platform tool with no prerequisites that have to be installed for all that to work, though, so we really like it for that reason.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Alkerak

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 11:41:34 am »
Well

I am a fan of procedural generation stuff. Sadly in my country there are no University Programs for Game Programming. I am currently studying Computer Science for Economics, might not sound what it is, but at least we learn programming.
I really love AVWW both from the technical point of view and also from the gameplay point of view.
I was wondering about the algorithm side of things.
Are algorithms for game design different than algorithms built for other purposes?
I would be curious if you would recommend some materials for studying algorithms to be used in a game environment.

Thanks a lot!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 11:54:08 am »
None of us at Arcen ever did any kind of game development studies, and none of us ever worked for an other game companies. Keith and I were both business software programmers for the better part of a decade each, and programming and designing games was a lifelong side hobby. So I don't feel you are at any particular disadvantage with the courses you are taking.

In terms of algorithm development, I would not say that it is particularly different in concept between games and any other software. Every software has its own unique algorithms anyhow, and the underlying principles behind all of them are pretty common. More important is software architecture, in my opinion. That is the thing I found hardes to get right as I refined my engines over the years, and having a really good one now is what lets us do so much so fast. I recommend reading books on design patterns and antipatterns -- those concepts will serve you well in any programming language, oop or not.  I also found that the concepts from "discrete math" we're particularly helpful in letting me understand some optimizations to algorithms at a deeper level.

Beyond that, just learning as much as possible about how computers work and what the operations you are usig in a high level language are doing under the hood is good for being able to optimize. Trigonometry is used a lot more in games than in most other software, also. And memory management is more important to really be detailed on, too.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the kind words also!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Alkerak

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:32:41 pm »
Thank you very much for your thorough and motivational answer!
I will also try to play with the free version of Unity3D in the meantime.
Keep up the good work in making good games!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 01:37:49 pm »
My pleasure! Sorry for all the typos, was writing from my phone. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk