Author Topic: Overlords...... HOW?!?  (Read 3430 times)

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
Re: Overlords...... HOW?!?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 09:48:51 pm »
Also, I hope if anyone makes any good Overlord maps, that they can maybe submit them to the forum for people to check out.

Like it said in the Map making sub-forum, if they are good, i hope some rooms get into official cycle, like maybe at the start of a beta run there could be a huge amount of maps submitted by the fans and also the dev team. Then if any were maybe too devious (like ones I would make xD), then they can be removed or tuned over the course of the beta run.

Just a slim dream though...xD

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 09:54:40 pm »
I think a large percentage, possibly most, of the normal boss rooms are from community submissions.  So not a slim hope, I think :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 10:09:05 pm »
I think a large percentage, possibly most, of the normal boss rooms are from community submissions.  So not a slim hope, I think :)

Woop! I just think with the amount of things that you guys have to do, the least the community could do besides suggestions is make and test out rooms amongst themselves.

Maybe people don't realise that some rooms can be altered for more variety. I know I didn't until like 30 minutes ago and now I might get to work on some small tests for myself. Will give me something to do when I am taking a break from my continents.  :)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 10:53:07 pm »
A big, open room, where you cant hide behind walls completely, would make this even more exciting.
We'll get to more overlord room variety at some point if it stays as-is, but just so you know, you can make a new overlord room template room yourself if you want to :)

The existing templates are, from your AVWW directory:

\RuntimeData\Logic\RoomMaps\OverlordBossRoom\

Glad the overlord fight worked out :)  Yea, those big swarms of fire... ow.

Aha, that's right, I keep forgetting about the room editor.   I shall indeed give that a shot, then, that sounds like a superb idea.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 10:55:41 pm »

I don't know about most, but certainly a lot of them yeah.

As the guy who puts these in the game, I'll say that if you submit good rooms, I'll absolutely put them in. But, I'm a bit behind at the moment, so it may take some time to get it done.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 10:58:52 pm »

Well, if that was your first overlord fight, you haven't seen them all, as there are two different overlords currently.

Aha, so Magic Godzilla isnt the only overlord type;  good to know.

Do you guys plan on adding more bosses at some point?   Hoping so, particularly considering how often players are going to be running into them.

I would guess so, though, not necessarily in the next week or two. We've got some other, higher priority stuff we should do first. :)

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 11:16:28 pm »
Speaking of which, I made an overlord room today. I have to actually get up to an overlord in order to test it out, but once I do I'll publish it. Is there by any chance a cheat system that could be used on a test world to quickly make it to an Overlord room or do I have to fight my way to it like I ordinarily would?
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 11:19:46 pm »
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,9389.0.html This might help a bit if you have not seen already.

However, I presume that you can't cheat to transport yourself to the room, but just turn the difficulty down a notch? :)

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 11:25:06 pm »
I read that already, I've made a fair number of room maps already. :) However, Overlord rooms in particular are tough to test because Overlords take a while to reach. I suppose I could make it a regular boss room just to test and see any major issues.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 11:31:44 pm »
Yeah, like just a quick test in a boss room. :)

Then when the time comes, you can then put it through it's true paces. :)

Hope it goes well for you. :D

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 06:25:30 am »
That reminds me: did those water physics changes a while back break a bunch of my rooms?

I'll definitely make a new overlord room or two as soon as I get a chance!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 10:08:11 am »
If you want to test an overlord room design:

1) Get a gamestate where you're standing near the door leading to a living overlord's room, but no one has ever been inside the room (can be done if someone's been in there, see further down).
2) Save.
3) Quit the game.
4) Create a backup copy of the save in a nice safe place ;)
5) Create a backup copy of your \RuntimeData\Logic\RoomMaps\OverlordBossRoom\ folder, in a nice safe place.
6) Empty out \RuntimeData\Logic\RoomMaps\OverlordBossRoom\ .
7) Add the overlord room design you want to test to \RuntimeData\Logic\RoomMaps\OverlordBossRoom\ .
8) Load the save, enter the overlord room, see what happens.
9) Once done with the test, exit the overlord room, save, quit.

And if the test didn't go perfectly (what, that happens?) :
10) Either:
- copy the backup save over the save's folder; this only works if no one had been in the overlord's room before you made that backup.
- or find the overlord room chunk's .datc file in the region folder of your save and delete it (this will force it to be regenerated from scratch when entered again)
-- * this is also how to start this process from a gamestate where someone's already been in the overlord room.
-- Iirc, the chunk ID of your current room is displayed as a #123 (where 123 is whatever the chunk ID is) on the escape menu.
11) Load the save, enter the overlord room, see what happens.

Have fun :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 06:07:53 am »
That reminds me: did those water physics changes a while back break a bunch of my rooms?

I'll definitely make a new overlord room or two as soon as I get a chance!

Yeah, they did. I fixed all the rooms, so most of them are a bit different, but, if you don't like my changes and want to fix them differently, I won't be offended.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk