Author Topic: Tactical advise please  (Read 1608 times)

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
Tactical advise please
« on: February 06, 2013, 04:04:16 am »
Guy's I haven't played a lot of platformers, can someone suggest how do I beat a zillion of these spiders that just swarm and almost insta-kill me on entrance. I'm sure these can be beaten, but how?

Offline Panopticon

Re: Tactical advise please
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:16:22 am »
I see you are using Aquaurgist. If you shoot straight up with Water Sine it bounces in place. You can retreat behind that and spiders chasing you through it will get damaged or killed. Continue to move and bounce the Sine straight up, retreat and attack with Sea Slider as necessary. A running shot with your ammo ability could take out quite a few as well. This should work unless you are already at really low health. That many spiders means you will take some hits. But if you can survive for a few seconds and get some kills the health they drop will boost you right back up.

Don't neglect to kill the spawning device on the ceiling either.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:50:49 am »
I see you are using Aquaurgist. If you shoot straight up with Water Sine it bounces in place. You can retreat behind that and spiders chasing you through it will get damaged or killed. Continue to move and bounce the Sine straight up, retreat and attack with Sea Slider as necessary. A running shot with your ammo ability could take out quite a few as well. This should work unless you are already at really low health. That many spiders means you will take some hits. But if you can survive for a few seconds and get some kills the health they drop will boost you right back up.

Don't neglect to kill the spawning device on the ceiling either.

Doesnt work when there's that many of them.  There isnt a single spell in the game that can take the things out faster than they spawn (sine spells in particular are very slow to fire).   The spiders seem to utterly break down if there's more than one spawner in a room at a time, and even with just one spawner, they're still usually a total mess.    Finding them to be a very broken enemy in general currently.   There's no way to damage the spawners without crashing directly into them most of the time, and the spiders' attacks are utterly unavoidable.   No strategy with these guys.... leap in and either keep running, or mash buttons till something happens.   Take any health perks you have before going up against them, is the only advice I can give.

They're even worse if they appear during a boss fight right now.   The only tactic I have for that is..... switch to Featherweight.   Which I hate having to do.   Same if you have too many other powerful enemies in the room.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 06:33:57 am by Misery »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:30:25 am »
Thanks for the feedback folks, these will be getting a rebalance today.  Now that I'm finally finished actually ADDING all the monsters, doing fixing like this is exactly the sort of thing I want feedback on.  Cheers! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 01:38:11 pm »
Doesnt work when there's that many of them.  There isnt a single spell in the game that can take the things out faster than they spawn (sine spells in particular are very slow to fire).   The spiders seem to utterly break down if there's more than one spawner in a room at a time, and even with just one spawner, they're still usually a total mess.    Finding them to be a very broken enemy in general currently.   There's no way to damage the spawners without crashing directly into them most of the time, and the spiders' attacks are utterly unavoidable.   No strategy with these guys.... leap in and either keep running, or mash buttons till something happens.   Take any health perks you have before going up against them, is the only advice I can give.

They're even worse if they appear during a boss fight right now.   The only tactic I have for that is..... switch to Featherweight.   Which I hate having to do.   Same if you have too many other powerful enemies in the room.

Thank you, now when Chris chimed in, hopefully this gets fixed.

Offline Panopticon

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 01:43:57 pm »
Yeah. That certainly is a lot of spiders. My advice works under normal circumstances.

That's a lot of spiders.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 05:32:30 pm »
Yep, next version:

* Laser spider rebalance:
** Laser spiders are now limited so that no more than 10 at a time can be present from a single camera (the oldest ones self-destruct in these cases).
** The cooldown time on surveillance cameras spawning more laser spiders has been doubled.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 12:33:34 am »
Yep, next version:

* Laser spider rebalance:
** Laser spiders are now limited so that no more than 10 at a time can be present from a single camera (the oldest ones self-destruct in these cases).
** The cooldown time on surveillance cameras spawning more laser spiders has been doubled.

That sounds MUCH better, thanks :)

Those pretty much were the only enemy I can think of that was that completely broken.   There's others that could use a few tweaks to balance out better, but none of them are broken like those were.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 08:51:57 am »
Excellent!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk