Author Topic: Time period effects on NPCs and settlements?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Endymion

• Newbie Mark III
Time period effects on NPCs and settlements?
« on: September 28, 2011, 01:43:42 pm »
Something I'm wondering is how much it matters or will matter what time period people and settlements come from?(also kind of suggesting how it could)
Like are certain traits more common with specific time period?
Do people have preferred temperatures? ie. people without suits being happier in areas where they don't have to wear them.
Will all time periods use same burial methods?
Any time periodic difference with how the people react and deal with the cataclysm?

What other things the time-period might affect?
I'm making videogames! You can read more about whatever I'm doing here

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
Re: Time period effects on NPCs and settlements?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 01:47:06 pm »
I'm wondering about this too, like will be there some kind of clash of cultures going on?

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 02:10:11 pm »
As far as I know, none of this is in the game. Though, there are some good suggestions in here.

The one exception is that people who aren't from cold regions won't be dressed properly for them, and therefore will have to be given a cold suit to survive. (Same for hot regions.)

Offline c4sc4

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 03:47:44 pm »
That would be interesting if characters without cold protection who need to put on a snowsuit would have some kind of morale/happiness penalty.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 04:01:52 pm »
There are traits that are more common with the various time periods, and they have differing heat/cold resistances, too.  Ones from the magical time tend to have more inherent magical strength, etc.

They don't have preferred temperatures at this time.

For now they do all use the same burial methods.  But the snow settlements have to use covered farms, unlike the non-snow ones.

People from each time period have unique dialogue, and their reactions to both the cataclysm and their exposure to the other time periods differs greatly.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:28:04 pm »
:)  What if Ice Age people did not need a snow suit? Because they are aclimated to the area? Like Eskimo's are to the far north?

But those coming from other ages not adept at the cold would need them when they come in to survive.

And the same for those from hot areas, like the Lava Flats.

Though i think the Lava Flats is supposed to be uninhabited.

But if there were people there, if those characters did not need a heat suit to live there.
Only those coming in.

Though having those from the Lava Flats required to have a heat suit when they 'left' the flats for other areas, to maintain their very high body heat requirements. Or the same for the Ice Age people wearing snow suits to maintain their cold body temperatures, in other areas than their 'Home area' might be interesting.

Just some thoughts,

-Teal

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:37:27 pm by Teal_Blue »

Offline mithrandi

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 10:51:56 pm »
:)  What if Ice Age people did not need a snow suit? Because they are aclimated to the area? Like Eskimo's are to the far north?

This sort of happens already; ice age characters have a 100% Ice Immunity as part of their base clothing, so you don't need to equip a snowsuit, whereas other characters do if they want to avoid taking cold damage.

Offline The Mimic

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:44:25 am »

This sort of happens already; ice age characters have a 100% Ice Immunity as part of their base clothing, so you don't need to equip a snowsuit, whereas other characters do if they want to avoid taking cold damage.

I think it's hand-waved as all ice-age people having their own suits already, though I like to think that their natural acclimation to cold is why none of them seem to be wearing helmets!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk