Author Topic: Requesting multiplayer feedback  (Read 7302 times)

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
Re: Requesting multiplayer feedback
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, 04:20:26 pm »
Yay me for killing the overlord! Toll you might want to send in your log files and reboot the server, I got a fatal error while trying to get to the next continent. Here's the mantis issue.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2012, 04:21:52 pm »
... Or... just a few minutes. The Overlord Is Dead! Long Live The Overlord!
Congratulations, overlord-slayers :)  Make sure you change names and addresses before the next overlord gets situated ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 04:27:56 pm »
Toll you might want to send in your log files and reboot the server, I got a fatal error while trying to get to the next continent. Here's the mantis issue.
Thanks very much for letting us know :)  We'll look into those, but also please let us know if restarting the world helps.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 04:32:15 pm »
Toll you need to get some new overlord slayers. So far I've killed all nine lieutenants and all three overlords that have spawned in your world by myself.  :P

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 04:38:53 pm »
That may be missing the point of "multi" player ;)  But it is very helpful for testing.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 04:39:08 pm »
Toll you need to get some new overlord slayers. So far I've killed all nine lieutenants and all three overlords that have spawned in your world by myself.  :P

This is what is known as tempting fate. Or perhaps in Arcen parlance, 'tempting Keith'. You know this is only going to result in him adding some sort of new terrible overlord hybrid that turns the floor into fire and shoots nuclear tipped missiles at you, or something.

Edit: Less silly question, how is the difficultly balanced in multi? Is there any buff given to the enemy side when more than one person is playing in a region? Can that sort of thing be adjusted on the fly? Or is it all the same as SP?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:40:55 pm by BobTheJanitor »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 04:42:17 pm »
This is what is known as tempting fate. Or perhaps in Arcen parlance, 'tempting Keith'. You know this is only going to result in him adding some sort of new terrible overlord hybrid that turns the floor into fire and shoots nuclear tipped missiles at you, or something.
Oh, I wouldn't worry about that for probably about 3-4 months, it'll take that long for the game's ongoing development and mechanics to stabilize enough for me to start doing anything really creative ;)

Offline Toll

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 04:45:37 pm »
I'll shut the server down and restart it (and attach any logs and worlds) once it empties! Or in 15 minutes, whatever comes first.

Hopefully that'll also solve the no-chat-from-server-console problem I just noticed, or I'll mantis that too.

Offline Toll

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 05:08:55 pm »
Restarted, and still no chat-ability. Mantis, Ho!

Offline Toll

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, 05:15:39 pm »
Err... Better restart again. The P key is moody in server mode, apparently, and I have no idea if there are future repercussions for me pressing it.

EDIT: And restarted, and I'm off to bed!

Offline silverhound

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2012, 11:10:48 pm »
Toll's server is the one with the world called Moara?

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2012, 11:46:20 pm »
Yep that's the one. I tell it by seeing that it has a max players of 200.

Offline silverhound

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2012, 12:37:23 am »
Yep that's the one. I tell it by seeing that it has a max players of 200.

ah cool, thanks for getting us to the next continent then :)

Also just noticed that Toll updated the server, what a fortunate coincidence!

Offline silverhound

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2012, 06:10:37 pm »
hate replying to myself here but this doesnt really fit as edit into the previous post i made

I noticed two odd things on Toll's server:

#1. Energy Pulse (and possibly other abilities too)
When i fire a shot in a cave a little above head-height in the distance it actually ends up passing my cursor by a couple cm on my screen (as such never doing damage where my cursor is aiming).
I noticed it first several days ago when i was using target lock, and assumed that it was just pathing prediction being off, but when i started to only manually aim i realised it was happening aswell.

Thought it might be because of me standing on the floor, and the shot somehow bouncing off that / having its starting position altered to avoid colliding and glueing to the border, but its also happening when i'm standing on a platform in the middle of nowhere in the cave with no wall near me (or even in sight)

It's also not a set difference that its aiming up, because the same happens when i aim a little below feet-height in the distance, only now the trajectory is passing my cursor below.
And it happens in several other directions, basically take every NNE, NEE, SEE, SSE, SSW, SWW, NWW, NNW direction and it appears to happen. (used a compass to replace the up/down left/right perspective which i hopes explains the direction easier)

This isnt happening to me in SP, so i'm currently wondering if its a Toll's world is old issue, or a MP issue.

EDIT:
This also isn't happening when i host a MP world of my own.
So unless it gradually creeps in its not something that needs to be fixed.

#2. Battlegrounds
for some weird reason i cant hurt any of the towers or the enemy camp with my attacks, and neither can the bots that spawn.
They also appear to ignore my flare.

Also something that isnt happening to me in SP, so i'm wondering if this might also just be a Toll's world is old issue or a MP issue.

EDIT:
This didn't happen when i hosted a MP world of my own.
Question remains if its simply a case of 'Toll's world is old and didn't patch properly' or a case of requiring more factors and time for this to happen.

another edit:
And now i ran into a crashed landspeeder robot that was invincible in a meteor shower mission.
Hm, while writing this i had gone out of the area, went back in to double-check its name and now i could hurt it again and managed to complete the mission. *pfew*

didn't have a creature icon on the map, but still stopped me from completing it with 8 crates left
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:43:46 am by silverhound »

Offline Toll

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 05:04:06 am »
I wouldn't mind creating a new world for you all to play in, but what concerns me is that that might hide some bugs that actually should be noticed and addressed anyway. On the other side of the coin though, a bugged world isn't fun to play in, and if it isn't fun, then people will stop playing, meaning the bugs won't be noticed anyway... What do the rest of you say? Chris/Keith, are these issues that will only appear in old worlds, or is it something that might happen to new worlds as well eventually?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk