Author Topic: Perk token gains  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Winge

Re: Perk token gains
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 10:01:14 pm »
Well, with the way perk tokens go top to bottom, I actually find that I can save up perk tokens so that on later levels, I automatically get the extra perks. So, I think the game might be filling those slots invisibly... so there might be more to it than simply changing it in that way.

You are correct, it does 'invisibly' fill up those slots.  My suggestion attempts to provide more options for the earlier perk tokens.  For example, if you are level 12 and have 6 perk tokens, the current system (4 per level) gives you (2^6)*(4^6) = 262,144 options.  If you filled up 3 per level, then you would have 3^12 = 531,441 options.  Please correct me if my math is wrong.

However, some people want their perk tokens available earlier (since there are 16 levels total, you would have to get MORE perk tokens to fill up the earlier perk levels), rather than have some unusable perk tokens in levels they may never actually get before beating the game.  That is why I included the possibility of filling up the tokens to 4 slots for current levels, and then fill up 'normally' afterwards.  I hope that makes sense...I have a small adrenaline rush from forcibly crashing AI war 8)
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 10:08:50 pm »
Maybe you can just spend the tokens on the slots you want and we can just avoid all of this discussion about how to do it randomly or automatically.
Also, Winge, your thread is insane.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 10:55:01 am »
What about making perk tokens fill up "left-to-right" before "top-to-bottom"?  Basically, you would get 3 perk tokens per level until you filled up all levels (could either be current or total).  Only then would you start getting the forth perk.  That would greatly reduce the grinding you mention, without any real RNG risk.
That would actually be much easier than the pick-random-level idea.  I actually did the implementation for the "pick random level" idea after this thread suggested it but the perk GUI flips out when there's "gaps" in the 3rd or 4th row so we never went ahead with it.  This idea would maintain the assumption of "no gaps", so it would be more feasible.  We're talking about it internally, thanks :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 04:07:27 pm »
sounds interesting. Thank you for the possible change.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 04:09:34 pm »
You guys rock.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 05:28:09 pm »
I've got no problem with random token distribution. Like I said, at worst it'll make you no stronger... unless the tokens can be distributed to levels you don't have yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk