Author Topic: My thoughts after 5 hours with the beta.  (Read 4273 times)

Offline c4sc4

Re: My thoughts after 5 hours with the beta.
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 10:55:58 pm »
(I think I still haven't managed to actually crash the game, even as far back as the first alpha they let people see)

I managed to crash it once during alpha, it got a fatal error and was spawning unhandled errors every second.

Offline PLivesey

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 02:28:28 am »
Haha, after just loading it up now, the platforms work fine.  I think what has happened is my keyboard (or perhaps a joypad) has been acting as though 'down' was always pressed.  I've played for FIVE HOURS like that, thinking that you couldn't stand on platforms!

Oh wow, that would be absolutely brutal playing like that, especially underground.  You not only lasted five hours gimped that way, but made it through boss fights two levels higher than you?  I salute you.

Not only couldn't I jump on platforms, but now when I'm playing I feel like I can jump SO high!  Try playing for a short time holding 's', and see how pathetic the jump is.  I used so many platforms/lightning jumps to get to places you can get to normally  >:(

Offline Nalgas

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 02:32:27 am »
Try playing for a short time holding 's', and see how pathetic the jump is.

Yeah, I know.  I had a potential bug a while ago that I could never reliably reproduce that seems like it maybe just went away on its own at some point where that would occasionally happen on its own for no reason without pushing whatever key was bound to "down", which was annoying enough.  Having that happen all the time would get old in a hurry.

Offline PLivesey

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 03:05:39 am »
Thanks so much for the kind words, indeed!

In terms of the local message log, you can hit ~ to see that.  Though apparently there's presently a bug with the most recent event sometimes being removed instead of the oldest.  Whoops!

It seems your latest patch has fixed the log for me, such that I can scroll through the messages in the top right.  Thanks a lot!

I guess the only issue I have now is - WHERE ARE THE BUGS!?  For a beta, this seems very stable.

Offline c4sc4

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 03:10:15 am »
I guess the only issue I have now is - WHERE ARE THE BUGS!?  For a beta, this seems very stable.

I have to say, it was fairly stable even during the alpha, I only ran into one or two game breaking bugs.

Offline Nice Save

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 07:39:16 am »
At the moment you're kind of dropped in, it tells you some basics, and you're left to explore either the interesting or uninteresting parts as you find them.

But on that note, be very, very happy that those of us who got our hands on it a few weeks ago harassed them about that side of things as much as we did.  Now it at least does tell you the basics and what you can do/how to do it, even if you're left to yourself to figure out what to do with yourself from there.  It was incredibly polished for what it was (I think I still haven't managed to actually crash the game, even as far back as the first alpha they let people see) and already let you do most of what you can do now, but it just plopped you into the game with no explanation of anything.  No adviser stone, no level-gating of new game mechanics or bosses, no tooltips for 90% of things, and so on.

It still needs more "stuff" put in place to guide you in the right direction and toward the interesting and relevant parts of the very large world, but even in just the past three weeks a huge amount of progress has been made on improving the early experience.  You can actually play the game at this point just based on the information given to you by the game itself, as long as you're a bit self-motivated to explore things (and if you are, there's already a whole lot of stuff out there for you to find).

Yeah, I was brought into the alpha a few days before the RPS preview specifically to give first impressions of what they would see, and I think I sent about 8 full-length essays to Chris on this subject alone.

I have to say, it was fairly stable even during the alpha, I only ran into one or two game breaking bugs.

Yeah, most of my reports were more weirdness and annoyances than outright bugs.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 08:49:26 am »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.  We try to keep it clean.  And if you want to know where all the bugs are: OSX, apparently! ;)

The mouse cursor on OSX really does some odd things, depending on the setup of the players, apparently.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk