Author Topic: Movement polish  (Read 4781 times)

Offline Professor Paul1290

• Sr. Member Mark II
Movement polish
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:52:05 pm »
I'm pretty sure this is going to be a rather subjective topic and there are going to be a lot of conflicting opinions about it, but who know maybe something nice might come out.

I think there are a few little things that might improve how the movement feels in the game, but whether they would be improvements is debatable of course.

-I think there should be a short acceleration/deceleration from standing when the player moves left or right. It shouldn't be too much, just a tiny bit. Maybe the character moves the character's width before reaching full normal walking speed. A lot of platformers have a tiny bit of this (it's often rather subtle) and I find it helps with making small adjustments to your position as only briefly tapping left or right doesn't move quite as fast as holding, and it might make the movement feel a bit more fluid.
Ok scratch that one, apparently it's already somewhat like that but my previous character had such a speed boost that the acceleration wasn't noticeable. I started over with a new one and it seems to work this way now.
On the other hand, maybe it might need to be made a bit more apparent in that case? Eh, not really sure on this one.

-Related to the above crossed out item. I tried several characters and it seems that modifiers for movement speed and jump may have unintended side effects on how the movement feels in the game. When the player starts a game for the first time, they won't know what the effects of these values will be, and since each game will use only one main character they won't know until they start another game. I'm slightly concerned that some people's impressions on the game's movement may be adversely affected by this.
I don't remember what stats my previous character had, but I'm now using one without any movement related bonuses and penalties and it feels MUCH more natural than my previous one while my previous one felt rather clunky.

-I'm not that sure about this, but I'm starting to think the player character falls bit too fast. It feels a bit difficult to line up shots when jumping because of how quickly the character rises and falls and the way they accelerate. I also notice that the way jump height is controlled feels a bit all or nothing (is it?). I think it might be beneficial from being a bit slower and slightly more "floaty" (is that word appropriate?), and how long we hold the jump key should perhaps influence jump height more.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:00:02 pm by Professor Paul1290 »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Movement polish
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:03:30 am »
Good idea.

* The "individual specials" on characters have been removed.
** This was something that mostly messed with the feeling of balance in invisible ways, or more particularly messed with the feeling of the controls (usually not for the better).
** The perks are all still there of course, but those are things that the player gets to decide on and experiment with AFTER starting the game, and change at will.  Generally we like to avoid making players have to make crucial decision about their character before they even start playing, but that's what the individual specials were doing.
*** These were a holdover from Valley 1, where it wasn't a big deal because your characters die all the time and you get new ones, anyway.  But here your characters are permanent, and the physics of movement are a lot more fine-tuned anyhow.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Gemzo

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:26:19 am »
Without the individual specials, why not just let the player pick their appearance and stats? Re rolling seems a bit silly when you're just picking your core stats...

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:35:38 am »
Without the individual specials, why not just let the player pick their appearance and stats? Re rolling seems a bit silly when you're just picking your core stats...

Maaltan had a similar idea on one of the other threads.

i was thinking about this the other day.  I was wondering if it would be better to create a "point buy" system instead of random character.  you could customize your avatar as well (chose timeperiod, body, and hue tinting?)

This would actually be pretty damn cool. I can't recall another Metroidvanian game (not a big authority though) that lets you customize your own character in this fashion. Would also be a nice way to differentiate this game from the first one.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:38:03 am »
It's a nice-to-have sort of thing that unfortunately doesn't really fit in our time budget.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 10:42:02 am »
It's a nice-to-have sort of thing that unfortunately doesn't really fit in our time budget.

No worries, there's always AVWW3.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:58:01 am »

No worries, there's always AVWW3.

Following proper sequel naming conventions that one will be known as: Revenge of A Valley Withou Wind

Currently AVWW2 is: Return to A Valley Without Wind

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:06:39 am »
Hahaha.

Hopefully we'll take the expansions route with Valley 2 if it does well.

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 12:07:41 pm »
Hahaha.

Hopefully we'll take the expansions route with Valley 2 if it does well.

Oh, so I guess you might aswell say Valley 2: Episode 1 will be released maybe June 2014 then Valley 2: Episode 2 should come out shortly after that you say, around the end of the year time (Really released October 2015) and Valley 2: Episode 3 will never see a release this generation.

Or...

• Valley 2: University.
  • Valley 2: Nightlife.
  • Valley 2: Open for Business.
  • Valley 2: Pets.
  • Valley 2: Seasons.
  • Valley 2: Bon Voyage
  • Valley 2: FreeTime
  • Valley 2: Apartment Life.
And that is not counting the Stuff Packs you can have, like IKEA Home Stuff or H&M Fashion Stuff (more clothes for characters? Woop Woop!).

With this way of doing thiungs, you can leave things out Valley 3 and just re-use the same Expansion Pack Themes for it. ;)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:10:15 pm »
Hahahaha.  I was thinking more along the lines of AI War as a model, of course.  But Half Life 2 and The Sims are good models also. ;)

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 12:19:47 pm »
Don't forget the AI war/AVWW cross-over what-if-the-AI invaded pack.

And a dozen sprite swap packs for spells, monsters, and characters :P

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 12:30:49 pm »

Like that hidden Tidalis AI War Level in the Main Game Story!

...Yeah, that's right! I bought that game! Now you don't need to keep wondering who was the sole buyer of that project! :P

...I need to start and finish that again some day.

Offline Panopticon

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 02:26:18 pm »
The Other Tidalis fan right here!

I've gifted out a few copies on Steam as well and it's always amusing to hear people gush about it after actually playing it. They always say pretty much the exact same thing, "I thought this was just another Match 3!"

As far as the movement polish thing goes, I approve. That's a nice piece of fat to trim. I've started a ton of new worlds playing this, and hitting the re-roll button to get the mix of traits I want is just kind of a superfluous thing that the game will be better off without.

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 09:04:36 pm »

...Yeah, that's right! I bought that game! Now you don't need to keep wondering who was the sole buyer of that project! :P

Wait what.

I only got halfway through the campaign before I kind of forgot about it. I must pick it up again now that I know that this is a thing.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 09:46:46 pm »

Wait what.

I only got halfway through the campaign before I kind of forgot about it. I must pick it up again now that I know that this is a thing.
So, does that mean one of the henchmen is secretly an agent of the AI?
Not sure how to fit it, but it would be interesting to have perhaps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk