Author Topic: Lost with Strategic Map  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Vampyre

• Newbie Mark III
Lost with Strategic Map
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:32:00 am »
Hey there !

So I have now a level 3 civilization. As level 3, I unlocked the strategic map. And now I'm really confused. I understood you could send  scouts to those areas to see what is inside. Ok...

But why on earth do the strategic map shows a different map for the bosses ? I'm completely lost on that one. On my normal map, I have 3 bosses shown. On the strategic map, I have four. What is even weirder is that I killed two bosses. On my normal map, it is now one boss left. But on the strategic, there are still 4.

- Why is the strategic map showing where the bosses were ?
- Why is the strategic map showing me more bosses than I actually can see on my normal map ?

When I unlocked the strategic map, the help told me it was there to send scouts to try to spot the overlord of the region. Now, what is a region ? As I start the game, I'm in an ice territory. Is a region all the ice part  linked to the level 1 zones, and therefore one overlord is somewhere in that ice area ?
Or is a region all level 1 zones ?

I'm quite confused for the moment... If you could spell a ball of light spell inside my brain, it would be more than welcome !

Offline Meta

Re: Lost with Strategic Map
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 05:39:52 am »
The strategic map shows you the bosses who guard resources. These bosses are not shown on the "normal" map. When you kill these bosses their resources become available for your settlement if they're near it (3 tiles of distance max., orthogonally).

I don't really know for the overlord, but I found mine in something like a 15-tiles distance from my main settlement. You must be at a sufficient civ-level to be able to scout his tile.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:00:01 am »
Actually that's a good question. I recall that the normal overworld map did show me a couple boss locations and resource locations when I first started the game, and then those went away from the map after I killed them. But the strategic map does show many more. I'm not sure which part of this is not working correctly, but I assume something about it isn't right.

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:24:53 am »
I asked this question and was informed that the normal travel map only shows the bosses within three squares of a settlement but the strategic map shows them all. I thought map notes may be helpful so things can be noted on the travel map.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:51:00 am »
I asked this question and was informed that the normal travel map only shows the bosses within three squares of a settlement but the strategic map shows them all. I thought map notes may be helpful so things can be noted on the travel map.

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. If my character can know where everything is by looking at one map, I should be able to retain that information on another map. Otherwise we just have an extra step of saying 'ok I need to go up three and right two to get to this area that I need to be in'. Perhaps match it up so that both maps show the same thing, but that the area you can see in on either is expanded as you put up wind shelters? Might be something for me to go put on mantis after pondering it for a bit...

Offline c4sc4

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:55:50 am »
The reason it only shows the resource guard groups that are within 3 tiles of a settlement is because that is the only place where they have an effect. Right now it is nice because you can easily see what resource deposits you need to conquer in order to get the production boost. If all of the tiles with resources were shown then it losses this benefit. Besides, there is no reason to actually conquer resource deposits that aren't near a settlement, unless you want to fight those bosses.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 12:16:22 pm »
The bosses are mainly what I'm thinking of, yeah. Since they are XP sources after all.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 12:38:24 pm »
The map you use to move around on will show rare commodities that you have discovered the location of through scouting. But, it doesn't show the resource veins that are too far away to be of any use to you settlements.

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 03:32:26 pm »
Why not show them as boss fights on the travel map not resource locations and only if discovered on the strategic map.

Offline Tayrtahn

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 03:49:46 pm »
The map you use to move around on will show rare commodities that you have discovered the location of through scouting. But, it doesn't show the resource veins that are too far away to be of any use to you settlements.
Why are resource deposits even generated in places too far away to be of use? Are there plans to be able to expand the usable radius around settlements or create new settlements in strategic locations?

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 03:53:59 pm »
There's something on the grapevine about using resources near roads, I believe.

Offline Terraziel

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 04:36:18 pm »
There's something on the grapevine about using resources near roads, I believe.

My preference would be being able to send a couple of NPC's out to them for a couple of turns to get resources, obviously with the caveat that they can get attacked and require defending.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk