Author Topic: Learning The Game, FAQ, and Wiki  (Read 52736 times)

Offline HellishFiend

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Learning The Game, FAQ, and Wiki
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 09:48:22 pm »
com·mod·i·ty/k??mädit?/
Noun:   
A raw material or primary agricultural product that can be bought and sold, such as copper or coffee.
A useful or valuable thing, such as water or time.

I'm not defending the word as the best possible word to be used in the context of this game, but as far as I'm aware (I dont know the whole list) the things labeled as a commodity in AVWW do fit the definition of the word commodity.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:51:29 pm by HellishFiend »
Time to roll out another ball of death.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 10:03:39 pm »
Oh i love a good off-topic talk every now and then ;)

The funny thing is, that definition contradicts itself.. likely because the upper line was taken from financial dictationary and the second half misinterpreted or mistranslated.

But needless to say, that definition is half wrong. Commodity is also a word out of economic teachings, as such.. you should check.. http://financial-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Commodity ;)

I would be curious to actually know where commodity was first used and in what relation....

I can find no respectable source for this part "A useful or valuable thing, such as water or time."
Most definitions say a valuable THING or ENTITY. Time is neither. Notice they do not define what valuable is supposed to mean. Wow.. most definition sites for words really do suck.

Commodity has since humans had English language been used to talk about trade goods of economic value. Any new definition i would strongly contest, i never heard anyone call a resource a commodity unless he meant it in economic sense.

I merely find this curious by the way. I don't mean to you know, fight with you over this, i just wanted to look this up and found that .. the internet does not agree with itself what a commodity is or isn't. that means its likely an economc term that merged into normal language without having an actual meaning. So at one point some dictionaries made some up.

Do you know where dictionaries get their word meanings from? Is it from Duden, or some other Insititute? And is it geared towards economics or social sciences? ( I can imagine that would greatly influence the intended meaning of the word "valuable" )
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:08:43 pm by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline HellishFiend

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 10:18:22 pm »
I think the commonly used meaning(s) of the word in the most commonly used context(s) is what is used for the definition provided by google, and that is probably the one that should be used in the context of a videogame's vocabulary. I'm sure the word has a rich history and maybe even a different definition in the strictest literal context, but I'm not sure that definition applies here, since the majority of players would interpret the word differently.

Of course, this is all going to be mostly moot once the tutorials and explanations are in place to properly preempt any initial misconceptions about the names of the buttons and whatnot. The only reason it is an issue now is due to the lack of tutorials. But like Chris said, he just needs some time on that.  :)
Time to roll out another ball of death.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 10:33:37 pm »
the internet does not agree with itself
!!!

*faints
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 10:34:40 pm »
but ones common maybe another ones uncommon ;P *giggle*

I just had a laugh really, i googled "precious" and they said valuable.. so i googled valuable and they gave examples, but no direct meaning. So apparently, one can not google the meaning of life. yet...
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Xeph

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 04:51:53 am »
I'm sure I'll feel like an idiot when I hear the answer, but how do I get back to the world map? I completed a region and it's just a dead end after the boss (in the stash chunk). Thanks!

[edit] Yeah, I feel like an idiot. I figured out I needed to go back to the entrance chunk.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:14:31 am by Xeph »

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 09:58:13 am »
I'm sure I'll feel like an idiot when I hear the answer, but how do I get back to the world map? I completed a region and it's just a dead end after the boss (in the stash chunk). Thanks!

[edit] Yeah, I feel like an idiot. I figured out I needed to go back to the entrance chunk.

Don't feel too bad, this isn't really explained anywhere that I know of. It seems logical to assume that if you keep going towards the far end of a region that something interesting would be there. But no, just a big flat cliff face. Kind of a bummer.

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 10:08:36 am »
You might argue that the current nature of every chunk being a limited number of open spaces reaching a dead end lends the game a slightly claustrophobic air.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 10:14:37 am »
Well, we could simply make it go back out into the world map on the far side if people really prefer that.  Not in missions, but in the regular outdoor chunks.  Doesn't seem high priority to me, though.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 10:17:28 am »
I've always thought that and exit to map transition would make more sense than a cliff face. Or if there is a blocker to progress, make it something lore-specific like a swirling maelstrom of magical whatever and a message to the effect that the cataclysm has broken the further lands beyond the point of explorability, or somesuch thing.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 10:24:11 am »
Well, the cliffs are lore-specific, too -- lots of sheer cliffs pushed up from the cataclysm.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 10:35:45 am »
Removing the cliff faces and letting the player go through the end to the world map would probably feel better, except for those cases where someone didn't realize they were in the last chunk of the region and got dumped on the world map with no way to get back to the chunk they were just in except to re-enter the region and run through the whole thing all over again (albeit with access to all the surface warp points).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 10:55:53 am »
Doesn't seem high priority to me, though.

I'd agree.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2012, 02:33:45 am »
So noob questions are back again.. i found a scroll to build something... How do i use it?

Nevermind, hold V - go to Continent Status - Go to power scrolls .. and you find.

the Building MENU

This should probably be a bit .. easier to find ;p
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:40:16 am by eRe4s3r »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2012, 10:03:07 am »
You can also use it via going and talking to the green guardian Ilari in the settlement.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk