Author Topic: Interested in being a part of a private alpha for Valley 2? Read here.  (Read 94887 times)

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
Re: Interested in being a part of a private alpha for Valley 2? Read here.
« Reply #300 on: December 15, 2012, 06:24:50 pm »
I do appreciate that, but I just haven't had the ability to even get HP perks. I always get stuck fighting henchies and dying and with my 5 hearts, I really really need more to actually make any headway.
One issue I've had as well is figuring out how to actually go any further purification. I tried to grab a level up tower again, but I couldn't actually purify my way there. The game's just stopped giving me purify-able flashing tiles like it was while 3 spaces away. Although I get the sense that I'll have to fight another henchman to actually get the level, at least that's a guaranteed "you might be able to handle more stuff" thing.
Also. We need to make that thread where we can have spoiler discussions.

Offline Nanashi

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #301 on: December 15, 2012, 06:25:43 pm »
I just finished exams, so I'm waiting for AVWW to go Beta. It's not a huge concern, but after reading some of this, I'm wondering if enemies still have the problem of spamming the same attack nonstop - I always thought it'd be nice if enemies in AVWW had more than 1 attack pattern, or if they paused between waves of shooting to offer a reprieve (which is traditional in most platformers) - the alpha video seemed like they still spam incessantly though. Still, alpha is alpha.

Offline Gemzo

« Reply #302 on: December 15, 2012, 06:28:42 pm »
You can get more options for perks from caves, and every odd-numbered perk level has an HP boost perk. So if you didn't start with it, you could go find the lv1 HP perk. Besides that though, the level up towers do indeed seem to guarantee a henchman fight.

Also the enemies spamming the same projectile/attack over and over is indeed annoying. The enemies really do have knowledge of the secrets of spam-fu, and it could use a lot of work.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:34:01 pm by Gemzo »

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #303 on: December 15, 2012, 06:32:03 pm »
...oh.

See, that's all I needed. I didn't know caves gave anything more than a highway across the world. In the game's defense, I didn't check.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #304 on: December 15, 2012, 06:33:25 pm »
Well, there recently was a nice thing added that will tell you if a chunk you are entering is useless, through a popup screen that tells you useful things.

I think a tutorial screen in the q menu or something could list what 'useful' tiles are?
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline Nanashi

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #305 on: December 15, 2012, 06:37:02 pm »
You can get more options for perks from caves, and every odd-numbered perk level has an HP boost perk. So if you didn't start with it, you could go find the lv1 HP perk. Besides that though, the level up towers do indeed seem to guarantee a henchman fight.

Also the enemies spamming the same projectile/attack over and over is indeed annoying. The enemies really do have knowledge of the secrets of spam-fu, and it could use a lot of work.

Aw :( I'm sad to hear that. Even with a lower volume, I think it'd be pretty annoying to hear enemies going BWANG BWANG BWANG BWANG BWANG nonstop and I'd probably get a migraine or turn the sound effects off. I'm pretty sure Arcen will handle it though - Skelebots in AVWW1 had delays between attacks and so did those rock slide spamming floating asterisk things.

Anyway, why doesn't someone start a feedback thread? Would be better than tacking to the arse-end of this thread.

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #306 on: December 15, 2012, 06:44:39 pm »
The sad part is like, I have this massive line of caves that I found that's like 15 or 18 tiles of cave. I could be getting so many perks! Jeez.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #307 on: December 15, 2012, 07:52:58 pm »
I can't beat lieutenants. =/

I can only beat them with excessive cheese. Hanging just out of range and abusing their unwillingness to get close. I've beaten two of them like that so far.

I'm only level 1 though.

This has been my biggest complaint as well, is these fights.     They just end up not actually being a "fight" at all, one way or another.

The only way to kill these guys is to cheese them or take advantage of AI bugs usually.   The ONLY other thing I've found that works is using that fire spellset.... the one with Campfire.... and when the fight starts, leaping right at them, and then firing off the ammo spell so the entire thing hits them.   Repeat a second time, and they're dead.  No matter what though you're GOING to take some hits.

Though that, again, is not really much of a fight either.

Their attack patterns need re-doing, honestly.

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #308 on: December 15, 2012, 07:58:37 pm »
Also, is there any real difference between Stonebinder and Technozoologist's first two spells? Both have the exact same description with different names and animations.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #309 on: December 15, 2012, 08:29:22 pm »
I can't beat lieutenants. =/

I can only beat them with excessive cheese. Hanging just out of range and abusing their unwillingness to get close. I've beaten two of them like that so far.

I'm only level 1 though.

This has been my biggest complaint as well, is these fights.     They just end up not actually being a "fight" at all, one way or another.

The only way to kill these guys is to cheese them or take advantage of AI bugs usually.   The ONLY other thing I've found that works is using that fire spellset.... the one with Campfire.... and when the fight starts, leaping right at them, and then firing off the ammo spell so the entire thing hits them.   Repeat a second time, and they're dead.  No matter what though you're GOING to take some hits.

Though that, again, is not really much of a fight either.

Their attack patterns need re-doing, honestly.

Their attack patterns are VERY alpha right now. :)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #310 on: December 15, 2012, 08:40:47 pm »

Their attack patterns are VERY alpha right now. :)

Yes, I'd rather figured as much, heh.   Those guys just LOOK unfinished.

The basic enemies, at least, seem mostly worked out, for what ones are currently active.

Though I take back my statement that those lumpy fireball guys are the most annoying enemy.... no, the Goddamn Bats of the game are..... the goddamn BATS.

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #311 on: December 15, 2012, 09:11:15 pm »
Yeah I was adventuring in a cave and got mauled by bats. It partly had to do with not getting any health drops whatsoever for a long time, getting slightly lazy and taking two hits for a third of my total health, and... enemies inexplicably doing more damage once I got a health upgrade somehow.
Today hasn't been a good day. It's been a very off day for me. So, maybe that's impacting my ability to play this game. It's definitely an extremely hard game. No other game you guys have made even compares. I get murdered left and right on Adept.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #312 on: December 15, 2012, 10:14:05 pm »
Bats are easy enough with a homing shot.
The problem is I'm not terribly great with the rest of the wind set.

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #313 on: December 15, 2012, 10:17:04 pm »
I never have a problem HITTING bats. I have a problem seeing them in caves. I actually love that idea, it's just that they remove a fifth of my life, so a couple blind corners and most of my health is gone. Couple that with not getting any health drops for a while and suddenly 'man mode' was enabled... then I die probably one room away from the end of the cave and I get mad and have to take yet another break.
Bats are brutal man. Games are serious business.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #314 on: December 15, 2012, 10:29:12 pm »
Also, is there any real difference between Stonebinder and Technozoologist's first two spells? Both have the exact same description with different names and animations.

Until you mentioned it, I had no idea there were more than just 5 classes. I didn't even have Technozoologist as one of my options. I tried creating a few new worlds just now and found that there are several others. Huh.

Also, I join in the hatred for bats. If you don't have a homing shot they will end your day. I guess it would be possible to roll up a world where you couldn't select a class with a homing shot at all, and that would be seriously rough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk