Author Topic: Interested in being a part of a private alpha for Valley 2? Read here.  (Read 94871 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Interested in being a part of a private alpha for Valley 2? Read here.
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2012, 10:02:11 pm »
That's a really neat design document - when you're talking about animations in multi-player, do you mean some sort of frame buffering or delay solution to synchronise gameplay over latency? I assume all of the animation is being managed client-side, as opposed to host-side. Netcode is kind of interesting.

In multiplayer, the remote client animations have to be inferred as position updates and similar are lerped between the last known point and the new point.  Really the only thing to update here is to handle the multi-frame animations in MP properly.

Do you see any large-name titles coming out this Xmas season that might interfere with the sales of AVWW2? A repeat of what I've seen you call the Diablo 3 effect might not be nice.

Erik keeps up with that more than I do, and I'm not aware of anything.  We're keeping a close eye on the timing from... multiple angles, anyhow.

edit: Weird request: I have a weird fondness for placeholder artwork. Got any you can share? :P

Not until the game is more final, sorry -- people take that out of context too easily, so releasing something like that "into the wild" has a good chance of coming back and biting us in the butt. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2012, 11:11:14 pm »
I can't think of any upcoming big release titles that'll be out soon. I'm maybe not the best source for that, but personally I'm drawing a blank.

Offline Gemzo

« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2012, 11:12:42 pm »
Me and a friend were considering doing a let's play of AVWW2 at release(?) possibly. I thought I would see if it was feasible for any of the developers to guest star for a while or something like that. I know very well that everyone has been very busy and there will still be lots of things to do even post-1.0, but I figured I may as well ask and see if this is a possibility somewhere down the line.

Offline ZCaliber

« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2012, 04:46:29 am »
One thing I'm particularly excited for... Though I'm fully willing to accept it won't be in AVWW2 at all, hearing a remix of the 'Intro mission' song.

It was easily my favorite song of the game, and being a reprise of the title song means there's a chance... Maybe?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2012, 06:00:18 pm »
Gemzo -- it's a possibility.

ZCaliber -- I'm not sure if that's in there or not, I can't recall.  You'll have to wait and see!

As a general note, the alpha is being pushed back yet a little more.  Getting all of this ready has just been a whirlwind, and we don't want to rush this out the door even to the private alpha.  It's looking like the most likely start time for alpha might be late Friday now.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2012, 06:17:03 pm »
For wanting us to keep our expectations in check you certainly keep us in enough suspense.  :D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2012, 06:20:17 pm »
Sigh, you're really right. :)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2012, 06:20:37 pm »
For wanting us to keep our expectations in check you certainly keep us in enough suspense.  :D
He can't help it ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2012, 06:38:37 pm »
I've managed to keep my mouth shut for once.  It has been hard. ;)

He can't help it ;)

:P

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2012, 06:41:31 pm »
This is like a mini Duke Nukem Forever. A Valley Without Wind Alpha: Released "When it's done." ;D

Don't worry, I kid. I don't get my PC back until the weekend probably at the earliest, so take as long as you want. :P

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2012, 06:54:12 pm »
This is like a mini Duke Nukem Forever. A Valley Without Wind Alpha: Released "When it's done." ;D
Next time you play DN3D, watch out for the eagles ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2012, 06:58:10 pm »
I'm here to get hit in the face with eagles and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta bubble gum!  :P

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2012, 07:00:15 pm »
I'm here to get hit in the face with eagles and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum!  :P

I was recently disappointed a few weeks ago when I wanted to show somebody that movie and saw it wasn't on netflix. So sad.

Also, nothing is as epicly delayed as to even jokingly put it in the same sentence as Duke Nukem. Except maybe Blizzard.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2012, 07:01:42 pm »
What movie?  That's a Duke 3D quote.  Are you thinking Die Hard?  Or am I totally missing that this is actually a DH quote?

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2012, 07:07:24 pm »
What movie?  That's a Duke 3D quote.  Are you thinking Die Hard?  Or am I totally missing that this is actually a DH quote?

The line "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of bubble gum" is from a cheesy 80's movie called "They Live". I'm pretty sure if its in Duke Nukem, they snagged it from that flick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk