Author Topic: Hosting a Server?  (Read 1642 times)

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
Hosting a Server?
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:01:30 am »
Hey, I wanted to give a go to some multiplayer and snagged a friend to help test. My first time messing around with Arcen multiplayer to be honest. We weren't able to figure out how to host a server and actually join it on your own computer. Is that possible?

We wanted to set it as a private one, so we weren't advertising it, but were instead doing connect by ip, and I wasn't able to get in.

Any advice?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Hosting a Server?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:31:53 am »
Have you seen this thread?  http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?topic=12308

It goes through the basics of what it might be, but there is another person also struggling with the same issue you're having.  I'm not sure what the problem is in his case, but perhaps having two people looking at it independently on their machines will be of help.

Generally speaking my suspicion is firewall.  But you could also look and make sure that your port is set the same on the server process and the main game process -- if you changed the port, it might not be.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:43:38 am »
Ahh. I checked the server thread not the tech support thread. I'll give it a read over and then see what I can do tonight when I'm home.  Thanks!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:26:05 am »
Sure thing!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 05:23:03 pm »
I found I was able to connect to my own server if I connected by LAN as opposed to using ip. My firewalls are disabled so I know that's okay. Using connect by IP I wasn't able to connect to myself. I'll have to test and see if the other guy can use connect by IP to find me.

Offhand do you know the keybinding to minimize the game on mac? I'm not sure what they are, and would be nice to be able to switch over to the server screen, which I don't really know how to do once I move over to the main game window.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 05:26:03 pm »
If trying to connect by direct-IP, and on the same LAN, make sure you're using the private IP (only relevant to computers inside the LAN) and not your public IP (only relevant to computers outside the LAN).

To get your public IP there's a variety of websites that will tell you that.  To get your private one use ipconfig on the command line and it will echo it.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 05:44:31 pm »
Yeah, that was the problem. I didn't realize my router was making a LAN network for just my one computer.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 06:35:52 pm »
Yep, that's what routers do -- if they aren't making a LAN, it's called a Hub instead, generally.  Or a router in DMZ mode, sort of, but even that tends to assign its own internal IP addresses.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk