Author Topic: Consoles or mobile?  (Read 3486 times)

Offline Castruccio

Consoles or mobile?
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:02:21 pm »
Given your recommendation of a game-pad, do I sense ambitions of a console or portable release?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Consoles or mobile?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 05:04:45 pm »
Given your recommendation of a game-pad, do I sense ambitions of a console or portable release?

You bet!  Hopefully consoles, but we'll see.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Consoles or mobile?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 05:50:50 pm »

You bet!  Hopefully consoles, but we'll see.

I know that this is a while down the road, but when you get there, finding a way to release this game for the Android might just get me to buy it twice! :-) Just sayin'.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Consoles or mobile?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:12:27 pm »
The big limiting factor for mos iOS and Android devices, for us, is RAM.  We really need at least 1 GB, I suspect, for a game like this.  That's going to be a challenge on consoles, too, though, so if we solve that there then we'll have that solved for the mobile devices, too. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
Consoles or mobile?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 06:13:09 pm »
Because of how off topic this conversation has become due to lack of data about the game, do you think it should be locked until you guys get more details nailed down and released?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Consoles or mobile?
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 06:13:52 pm »
Nah, I think the rambling discussions are generally fine.  Would be better as separate topics, but it's not worth locking over.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
Consoles or mobile?
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 06:22:20 pm »
I'm not "being like Keith," whatever that means. 

You mean making funny and/or snarky remarks about almost everything? More prone to making cool but somewhat rushed changes and fixing the bugs afterwords? More willing to implement new experimental mechanics?

(This is not intended to be a dig on Keith or you, but rather just commenting on different styles.)

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Consoles or mobile?
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 06:39:24 pm »
The big limiting factor for mos iOS and Android devices, for us, is RAM.  We really need at least 1 GB, I suspect, for a game like this.  That's going to be a challenge on consoles, too, though, so if we solve that there then we'll have that solved for the mobile devices, too. :)

My Droid 2 already has 1GB of RAM. By the time it's ready for that market, it's likely many more phones will as well.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Consoles or mobile?
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 06:50:53 pm »

My Droid 2 already has 1GB of RAM. By the time it's ready for that market, it's likely many more phones will as well.

Nice!  That's a good point.  My iPhone 4 has 512, which is getting there, but I can't believe the iPad only has 256.  So it goes, I guess.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Consoles or mobile?
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 06:52:52 pm »
I'm not "being like Keith," whatever that means. 

You mean making funny and/or snarky remarks about almost everything? More prone to making cool but somewhat rushed changes and fixing the bugs afterwords? More willing to implement new experimental mechanics?

(This is not intended to be a dig on Keith or you, but rather just commenting on different styles.)

Well, bear in mind you've seen me at the end of a really long project, buried under work and responsibilities.  Depending on the time, I'm just as crazy with the experimental mechanics and/or cool but somewhat rushed changes.  It just depends on the context, and I've been just treading water to stay afloat for a good 6+ months now.

But you're right on the snarky humor, that's always Keith. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk