Author Topic: Best Interface Award?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
Best Interface Award?
« on: December 28, 2012, 09:49:03 am »
I don't know if anyone else knows this, but Quarter to Three gave A Valley Without Wind an award:

Best interface: mapping in A Valley Without Wind
The maps in Valley Without Wind were a truly remarkable way to help you find your way through the game’s literally infinite worlds.

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2012/12/12/2012-the-year-in-gaming/

I was suprised lol.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: Best Interface Award?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 10:23:54 am »
I've always liked Tom Chick. While I wouldn't say he's been Arcen's biggest fan, I felt he's always treated our games fairly, and with an open mind. :) And while I can't take any of the credit for any of the design in the game, I'm glad that it's getting some recognition.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:57:37 am »
Wow, that's really cool! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 12:11:24 pm »
Worst Villan: Vaas from FC3

Best Ending: Mass Effect 3

Wat.

That said, nice that AVWW got a mention, but I can't say I agree with a lot of the other choices.

I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 12:12:34 pm »
Worst Villan: Vaas from FC3

Best Ending: Mass Effect 3
...that...what was he smoking when he made that? I think it's supposed to be the other way around. That would make perfect sense. Best villian = Vaas, worst ending =  ME3.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline flamingcanine

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 09:18:37 pm »
I stopped taking him seriously after he mentioned D3 in a positive light. The mention of ME3 having 'the best ending' is just icing on the cake. A few things seem to have some lucidity involved, but not much.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:41:18 pm »
I....what? I'm looking at his list and I have to wonder if he actually played those games or is just pandering for most views. "Best sidekick runner-up 'Claptrap'" .....most annoying if you ask me. I played Borderlands for maybe an hour and I couldn't stand the annoying twerp. Forget about actually completing that game with him.

Worst Graphics engine is Mass Effect 3.....*facepalm*. It's the Unreal engine powering that game so while I may have not played ME3, I'm fairly certain I could point out a far worse graphic engine/game of 2012. Waking Mars comes to mind...

I find this guy's opinion very hard to take seriously. His reasons aren't even that justified so I think I'll just ignore him.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 07:16:38 pm »
I....what? I'm looking at his list and I have to wonder if he actually played those games or is just pandering for most views. "Best sidekick runner-up 'Claptrap'" .....most annoying if you ask me. I played Borderlands for maybe an hour and I couldn't stand the annoying twerp. Forget about actually completing that game with him.

Worst Graphics engine is Mass Effect 3.....*facepalm*. It's the Unreal engine powering that game so while I may have not played ME3, I'm fairly certain I could point out a far worse graphic engine/game of 2012. Waking Mars comes to mind...

I find this guy's opinion very hard to take seriously. His reasons aren't even that justified so I think I'll just ignore him.
Well, the Unreal engine is capable of some AWESOME graphics, but for what it's capable of, ME3 really looks like ass :P So he does kind of have a point there. But there are far worse choices.

But there's some really odd choices in this article indeed.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 08:03:29 pm »
ME3 looks like ass because it was handicapped by about 7 years old hardware, so is that really fair?
Yes. Yes it is. UE3 games actually made with PC in mind look pretty amazing. The thing is, he was talking about the graphics engine, not the game's graphics themselves. As much as I'd like to hate on Mass Effect 3, the decision there was wrong. If somebody had the opinion of "Unreal Engine 3 graphics are the worst this year out of any other engine" then I would be able to declare that objectively wrong. That's how wrong it is.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 08:58:49 pm »
Yes, declaring ME3 a terribly looking game might be correct, but there are still worse games released 2012. Declaring UE3 the worst engine is horribly wrong :P

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 09:42:08 pm »
Yeah, ME3's just mediocre-looking honestly. I have more a negative view than I should, because of certain abhorrent things that they did regarding their business practice and implementation of things, which means I'm never playing the game... but it's not all bad. When it comes down to it, there's always Revelations 2012.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 10:34:43 pm »
ME3 looks like ass because it was handicapped by about 7 years old hardware, so is that really fair?
Yes. Yes it is. UE3 games actually made with PC in mind look pretty amazing. The thing is, he was talking about the graphics engine, not the game's graphics themselves. As much as I'd like to hate on Mass Effect 3, the decision there was wrong. If somebody had the opinion of "Unreal Engine 3 graphics are the worst this year out of any other engine" then I would be able to declare that objectively wrong. That's how wrong it is.

That's the whole problem with his list. You can't judge an engine based off one game because if we did, then I could show you terribly looking games in Frostbite, Source, Unity, the list goes on. You need to have a bigger list of games that look terribly on them. Good luck with that because most modern currently-in-development-engines including Source have games that look great running them. And then you have terrible games. I'm not sure why he's judging Engines in the first place, its complete nonsense and unnecessary. Hence why I find this whole list mind-boggling.

And yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if ME3 looked a bit dated due to console restrictions. Hence why I wish Microsoft and Sony would finally update the hardware so we quit getting games like these. Its been 7 years guys, I'm pretty sure you can slap in a new GPU/CPU into those things by now.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 08:35:13 pm »
Case in point: Here's a guy who felt that "Meh, let's see what I can scrounge up in the UT3 engine" Youtube vid. That's texture quality. ME3 hadn't looked even NEAR as bad if it wasn't for that godawful horrible texture quality that would've fit the C64. (Exaggeration central)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk