Author Topic: [Question] Learning new spells  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Fleet

[Question] Learning new spells
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:56:12 am »
My vocabulary may be off. So, at the start of a game, you can travel to the green healthstone. you can then read one of the spellbooks and you will have an option of 4 spells to learn, and you choose one. What determines what spells are available? (why are they different game to game?). Also, are there "trees" of spells, so unlocking spells made by a certain material will lead to higher spells of that kind?

If there is documentation on this, point me that way and I'll read.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: [Question] Learning new spells
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:57:14 am »
The spells are chosen randomly. At the moment, there aren't any "trees", but, that may be something that gets added in the future.

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 10:02:45 am »
Spellcrafting trees are definitely something I'd be in favour of, once there's a few (or a lot!) more spells in there.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 10:06:44 am »
Actually, there are trees, but it's pretty shallow and wide rather than narrow and deep.  It's based on the three-step crafting, which is technically a tree.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline freeformschooler

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:40:58 am »
Though there aren't many three-step spells... that would be something cool to see more of.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 11:10:57 am »
Yep, of course. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 11:47:05 am »
I think the OP means when you get offered four spell recipes to learn, there should be a tree based on which ones you've previously learnt, which sort of spell book you're turning in perhaps, that kind of thing.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 11:48:04 am »
I see.  Well, not sure about that at this point, but we'll see.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 01:17:21 pm »
What I thought he meant by "trees" was, is the unlocking of one spell the prerequisite of unlocking other, further spells. Which, I believe is not the case, correct?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 02:27:13 pm »
What I thought he meant by "trees" was, is the unlocking of one spell the prerequisite of unlocking other, further spells. Which, I believe is not the case, correct?

I think it actually is, or at least it should be, but I'm not 100% positive.  If something costs a sapphire and granite, and something else costs sapphire plus granite plus cherry, you'd have to unlock the former first.  But I'm not sure that's actually implemented, to be honest.

Offline Terraziel

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 03:07:14 pm »

I think it actually is, or at least it should be, but I'm not 100% positive.  If something costs a sapphire and granite, and something else costs sapphire plus granite plus cherry, you'd have to unlock the former first.  But I'm not sure that's actually implemented, to be honest.

That seems a bit weird, having the "tree" based on crafting ingredient number rather than what ever the spell does. rather that logic would place, hypothetically, ruby and cedar on the same tier as ruby and magma, despite one being considerably harder to acquire.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 03:09:01 pm »
Yes, this is a good point.  I doubt that's how it will end up, but it's far too early to really worry with it yet because first we need more spells in general.

Offline arcee

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 09:56:04 pm »
That seems a bit weird, having the "tree" based on crafting ingredient number rather than what ever the spell does. rather that logic would place, hypothetically, ruby and cedar on the same tier as ruby and magma, despite one being considerably harder to acquire.

where do you get magma, anyway?  the tooltip says in a tower, but all I've seen there is moonstone and memory crystals.  Do I need to be a certain level?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 10:02:19 pm »

where do you get magma, anyway?  the tooltip says in a tower, but all I've seen there is moonstone and memory crystals.  Do I need to be a certain level?

Yeah, you'll see them eventually.  Some of it is randomness, some of it is the type of terrain, some of it is level.  By around level 20 or so you should be seeing it.

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 04:36:55 am »
First tower I ever took was for magma.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk