Author Topic: AVWW 1.1, IndieCade E3 Showcase Press Coverage  (Read 2451 times)

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Games business development/Jack of all trades
  • Arcen Staff
AVWW 1.1, IndieCade E3 Showcase Press Coverage
« on: June 22, 2012, 05:28:29 am »
Originally posted: http://arcengames.blogspot.com/2012/06/avww-11-indiecade-e3-showcase-press.html

A Valley Without Wind 1.1 is officially out (along with an official hotfix) and we're happy to hear some really great reactions from players and press, including Tom Chick of Quarter to Three weighing in on what he's enjoying about the new update.

We've built up quite a long list of links over the past couple weeks as our game saw some great coverage thanks to IndieCade's E3 showcase (Jessica Conditt of Joystiq surprised us with this awesome piece). It was a great group to be a part of, and I myself got to talk to a ton of cool industry folk—several of which checked out and seemed to really enjoy their time with our game. 

I also got to check out a ton of cool indie games right next to me. My favorite of which was Hokra by awesome developer/nice guy Ramiro Corbetta. I also had the pleasure of meeting veteran indie devs Erin Robinson and Steve Swink, who we're showing off their new projects as well. Erin's working on a clever and fun puzzle platformer Gravity Ghost, and Steve really stole the show with his first person create/modify game Scale

The IndieCade showcase titles in general were excellent, if you want to check them out you can find the games listed here. With that, here's the aforementioned list of outlets talking about AVWW 1.1, IndieCade at E3 (some pieces our game is not directly mentioned but we still want to share), and various other press coverage:

Extra Credits: Games You Might Not Have Tried #4 (Video)

GameSpy: Watch Out for these Weird E3 Indie Games

G4TV: Indiecade Invades E3 - The Best of Indie Gaming in One Spot

Gamer's Guide to Life: E3 2012 -- A Valley Without Wind Interview

Indie Game Magazine: IndieCade At E3 -- A Quick Look At All 20 Games On Show

Joystiq: Take a tour with us through IndieCade at E3

Turnstyle: IndieCade -- E3’s Oasis and Scrying Pool, All in One

nFamous Gamers: IndieCade Brings Innovation And Fun To E3

Muslim Gamer: [PC Review] A Valley Without Wind

Game20: A Valley Without Wind Review (Greek)

EnternityGR: A Valley without Wind Video Video Review (Greek)

4 Player Podcast: Brad plays A Valley Without Wind on PC (Video)

Your Game Source Podcast: E3 2012 Podcast

Screw Attack: Indie Shack -- Lots and Lots of Metroidvania

Gamers Guide to Life: IGN, GameSpot, Eurogamer unjustly damage Arcen Game's latest title

Gamasutra: Dust in The Wind: An Analysis of A Valley Without Wind

Vaerydian: World Building (Dev Article)

Indie Game Magaine: 'A Valley Without Wind' An "Almost Different Game" With 1.1 Update

Blue's News: A Valley Without Wind Patch

DealSpwn: A Valley Without Wind Gets Massive Content Update

Dark Side of Gaming: A Valley Without Wind – Version 1.1 Is Now Available

Deihlanos: Let's Play A Valley Without Wind #2 -- Giant mecha thunder wasps and.... bats.

IZTheJack: A Valley Without Wind Part 10 - The First Rescue

MrSollkre: A valley without wind | Ep.1 | Okay!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:32:14 pm by cupogoodness »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: AVWW 1.1, IndieCade E3 Showcase Press Coverage
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 05:44:10 am »
....agh!  I'd totally forgotten about the Indie-games-at-E3 thing!   That was like, THE thing I was going to check out, and instead, all I did was listen to people complain about the Big Three, and watch Nintendo confuse people with general wierdness.

I do think I'm gonna have to go have a look at the vids of that later then, and see what I missed.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 04:31:49 pm »
While not E3 coverage, Rock Paper Shotgun posted an article today basically saying AVWW is completely changed from 1.0 and that it might be worth giving it another look. Linky here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/22/a-valley-without-wind-proceeds-procedurally/#more-113317

Offline nanostrike

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 01:15:54 pm »
and watch Nintendo confuse people with general wierdness.

LOL. Yeah...this wasn't exactly their most dignified E3 presentation.

Offline Tobias

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:49:42 am »
I tried watching a bit of that "4 Player Podcast: Brad plays A Valley Without Wind on PC (Video) " and just had to stop after 10 minutes. I want to reach back in time, wrap my hands around his throat through the internet and scream "what the hell is wrong with you, why are you not reading the tutorial messages"

The gamers guide to life article was pretty good.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 08:27:00 am »
what the hell is wrong with you, why are you not reading the tutorial messages
Designing a new-player-experience is deeply frustrating for me because one of the prime axioms is "people do not read".

To some extent, it's understandable.
To another extent, it's workaround-able (though I wish players could be counted on to "if I don't know what something is, hover the mouse cursor over it").
But to a large extent, it just isn't winnable :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 08:45:31 am »
Yep. People complain the game industry is getting dumbed down with built-in tutorials and simplistic design, but if games didn't all have tutorials and an easy design, people will complain because they think they are not given enough information because they are too lazy to read the manual or messages which pop-up as they think they can handle it.

Like if you held a child's hand to give them a tour of an Amusement Park, they will want to go off and do their own things as soon as they can, so won't listen to all the things you say as they think that they know everything already from being in other amusement parks.

On the flip-side, if you just dumped them in the middle of the park without a map, but with signs for them to read, they would complain that you didn't give them enough direction or explain the fact that they can't pass the line for the red queue wearing their red things on your feet unless they go into the toilet and get some new blue things on your feet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk