Author Topic: Arcen, I hate you  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Aquohn

• Full Member Mark III
  • WARNING: May Contain Objectionable Opinions
Arcen, I hate you
« on: July 27, 2013, 05:11:08 am »
Nah, just kidding. I love you guys. But seriously, I lost my last game of Valley 2 because (I forgot to get a screenshot) DEMONAICA WAS STANDING AT THE DOOR. So when I entered the room, the second I moved, I died.

Needless to say, allowing this sort of nonsense to happen is generally considered bad design.

Incidentally, losing produced this error trace:

GameInit (10 - 7/27/2013 4:57:29 PM)     7/27/2013 4:57:35 PM
Loading saved chunk: 6     7/27/2013 5:05:42 PM
ProcessAssertionFailure while IsInAbilityDeserializationOrProcessing, Message:Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[NPCStateDescriptor].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Ability.TryExecuteInner (.GameEntity UsingEntity, .GameEntity TargetEntity, .QueuedAbilityUse QueuedAbilityUse, .AbilityUseResult Result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

UsingEntity:null
TargetEntity:null
QueuedAbilityUse.Ability.TypeData.Type:ProcessPlayerRespawn
QueuedAbilityUse.MessageID:9094
Game.Instance.NumberOfQueuedAbilityUsesProcessedThisStep:3

at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at ArcenDebugging.ArcenDebugLog(System.String Message, DebugLogDestination Destination, Boolean IncludeStackTrace, Verbosity Verbosity)
   at ArcenDebugging.ArcenDebugLog(System.String Message, DebugLogDestination Destination, Verbosity Verbosity)
   at ArcenDebugging.ArcenDebugLog(System.String Message, Verbosity Verbosity)
   at ArcenDebugging.ProcessAssertionFailure(System.String Message)
   at Ability.TryExecuteInner(.GameEntity UsingEntity, .GameEntity TargetEntity, .QueuedAbilityUse QueuedAbilityUse, .AbilityUseResult Result)
   at Ability.TryExecute(.GameEntity UsingEntity, .GameEntity TargetEntity, .QueuedAbilityUse QueuedAbilityUse, .AbilityUseResult Result)
   at QueuedAbilityUse.TryExecute()
   at Game.ProcessSimStep()
   at Game.RunNextCycle(Boolean DoRendering)
   at Game.RunFrame()
   at MainCameraLogic.MainUpdateLogic()
   at MainCameraLogic.Update()
Arcen in Summary:
thank you so much, RNG
It aims to please!

Or is that "to kill"?  Hmm.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Arcen, I hate you
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:02:20 am »
That should never be able to happen, and out of all the playthroughs of people going through it, I don't recall ever having heard of that happen before (Demonaica on the door). So something was really funky with how that generated the room, kind of a freak accident in procedural generation (which can occasionally happen with any game with procedural content). Sorry about that -- if it hadn't pushed you into defeat, we could have altered your savegame file to fix it.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:28:48 am »
That should never be able to happen, and out of all the playthroughs of people going through it, I don't recall ever having heard of that happen before (Demonaica on the door). So something was really funky with how that generated the room, kind of a freak accident in procedural generation (which can occasionally happen with any game with procedural content). Sorry about that -- if it hadn't pushed you into defeat, we could have altered your savegame file to fix it.
For what it is worth, I encountered Demonaica sitting on the top of the door occasionally as well...
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:59:09 am »
I've had it happen as well, but in that case I lead him to the door - and then died with him there. He wasn't spawned there.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:07:33 am »
I've had it happen as well, but in that case I lead him to the door - and then died with him there. He wasn't spawned there.
Now that I think of it, this might have been the case in my case as well...
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Aquohn

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:54:26 am »
Yeah, this was what happened to me too. I think Demonaica's spawn point is fixed.

But still, it pretty much breaks the game.
Arcen in Summary:
thank you so much, RNG
It aims to please!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:01:04 am »
Oh, you mean you left and then came back and he was there again?  That's not really a bug in the classic sense, then.

The problems are twofold:

1. If he can't walk to the door, you can just spam him from there.
2. If he can walk to the door, then this sort of thing can happen.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aquohn

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 10:28:30 am »
Maybe make it such that he returns to his original spawn point when you leave the room/die?

I have no idea what's causing that error, though. You might wanna look into it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:31:19 am by Aquohn »
Arcen in Summary:
thank you so much, RNG
It aims to please!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk