Author Topic: Adventurer idea...  (Read 2351 times)

Offline JBSpook

Adventurer idea...
« on: June 14, 2012, 06:12:40 pm »
Congrats on 1.1 its been a fun trip since launch!

Now to the idea....

Lately I've been thinking about the awkward use of transfer scrolls. 
I've also been thinking of the great job the devs have done on making our characters we roll unique.
I have gone from mainly using one character all the time to not being able to decide which type of character I want to play, it changes day to day. 
Choice and wanting a choice is always a good thing.

The general idea would be to have a fourth stone in the settlement.  It could be called the Adventurer Stone (or whatever).
When you use this stone in the settlement, it would allow you to view stats and swap your adventurers.  The window could be just like the settler window that is under continent status.
This is also where you would be able to create your new adventurers as well, but we will get to that next.

Now the details....

I've been debating on how many adventurer slots you should have and how you should acquire them.

One idea is that there are "x" amount of adventurer slots and you pay shards to unlock them.  It could get progressively more expensive as you go. I like this ok, but meh.

Another idea is that they would be unlockable.  So lets say in continent one there is one unlockable adventurer slot available.  To unlock it you would maybe have to
succeed at 5 rescue missions (that would also be the settler tie in). 
Continent two would have a second slot to unlock, so on and so on.
This could also show up in the Things to do list.
I do like this better as its another task that needs doing.

Anyway, after you have a adventurer slot available, you would be able to roll a new character with the wonderful character generator that is in place (button would be on the
adventurer window).
Now you can swap characters from your stable of adventurers at will for whatever mood or mission your undertaking.
If you have a character that you decide you dont like, you could still suicide them and create another. The slots would be yours to fill.

As for the transfer scrolls.....
I was thinking those could be used in the field to swap (not create) your adventurers.
They would probably have to follow the same rules as the health enchants. To use a scroll to swap adventurers, you would have to be in a safe zone, and be at full health.

I guess thats pretty much it for now.  I'm not sure if this is mantis worthy or if its just too far out there.
Or if it even makes sense ;) 

Thoughts?

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Adventurer idea...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 07:44:14 pm »
I definitely agree on the transfer scrolls; I think I did a Mantis thing about it awhile back in hopes that it got changed at some point.

I tend to be very vocal and loud when gaming even at the best of times (yelling at the screen, as if it'll DO something), and with this game, it's funny, it's not the bosses or the spikes or the horrible flying screaming laser doom I'm yelling at, it's the transfer scrolls.  Something like: "No, no, hold still so I can do this.  No, YOU stop following him, you gotta seperate.  NO DONT TURN AROUND YOU BLAZING DOLTS! Quit walking in front of the stones!  GRAAAGH HULK SMASH!!!". 

Blasted things get just a TAD annoying.

As for the adventurer slots idea, hmm, I dunno.   There already sort of is a "cost" much of the time with these, in that you generally need to go out and get EXTRA survivors (so that you still have one of each actual profession in there), which either requires a whole lot of running around, or requires you to find/buy survivor scrolls.

I cant remember what else I was gonna say.

Offline JBSpook

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 08:18:25 pm »
I probably didn't explain this very well, its what usually happens when I try to put thoughts to posts.

The idea wouldnt actually ever take away your survivors from your settlement.  It was just an idea of how you could unlock an adventurer slot.
Adventurer slots is just a way to limit how many extra adventurers you create for yourself.

With the stone you would never have to chase down your survivors again, they really wouldnt have anything to do with your character swaps.
You would use the stone, choose a character out of the list of unique characters youve rolled and off you go.

The whole idea was based on the fact that I want to play different aged characters now and I dont want to sacrifice survivors to get what I want.....

if that makes sense.

Offline Gemzo

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 11:19:06 pm »
I always wanted to try different character builds but didn't want to suicide my character just to do that, nor did I want to blow an NPC on that. I think that allowing the use of these scrolls to create a new character is a great idea. Maybe a rarer form of the scroll or something even, but just some way to do this.

Offline GhostMatter

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:42:25 am »
I love this idea!

Offline mlah

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:48:25 pm »
I agree this look great. It would be super nice if there was a way to default the spells on each character. Is this on mantis yet?

Offline JBSpook

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 08:03:04 am »
That would be really nice if it could keep track of your spells per character.
Great idea!

Anyway, I haven't put it on Mantis yet, I was checking to see if there was any interest.

I'll put it up tonight after work.

I'm glad there's some interest in the idea, I would love to see something like it in game.

Offline JBSpook

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 04:34:21 pm »

Offline Zair

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Tooth Spawner Mk IV
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:50:27 pm »
I agree this look great. It would be super nice if there was a way to default the spells on each character. Is this on mantis yet?

Closest thing I can think of is making multiple rows of spells in your inventory and cycling through them to find whichever one you want for that character. I can't remember WHICH key does it, but I know there's one that rotates the inventory view by one row, and you CAN hold more than one copy of a spellgem if multiple setups need it.

Only problem is having to cycle through a row with your heatsuits/consumables/etc as well when wrapping around.

Offline mlah

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 07:29:03 am »
Yeah I tried that at first but the consumables where causing me to much problems. You need to move the crates and platforms also as you can't duplicate them.

Offline Zair

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Tooth Spawner Mk IV
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 11:14:14 pm »
Crates and platforms have their own hotkeys, you don't need them 'on' your bar and visible. Just set the keys somewhere you can reach 'em easily while playing.

Offline mlah

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 10:11:45 pm »
Did not know that.  I wish they would put that in the tutorial section instead of telling you to put them on the right click

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 02:45:24 am »
Did not know that.  I wish they would put that in the tutorial section instead of telling you to put them on the right click

Good suggestion for Mantis, sounds like!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk