Author Topic: A Valley Without Wind, Vol. 1 soundtrack on sale!  (Read 11745 times)

Offline Scorcher24

Re: A Valley Without Wind, Vol. 1 soundtrack on sale!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 01:39:12 pm »
Haha, to be perfectly honest, I didn't even know you could sell soundtracks on Steam!

As for the HQ tracks in the actual game, they're exported at such a high rate that putting them in the game would make download time for new users a nightmare. We ran into problems with this with our puzzle game "Tidalis". People were complaining that the download time was too long, and it was all due to the file size of the tracks.

But, that being said, I try my best to make the quality of the in-game music as best as it can be without having gigantic file sizes!

The only game I've seen sell an OST on Steam was Sanctum, but yes, it seems that you can sell the OST as a premium DLC pack. :)  Mostly, devs tend to sell it on their website/popular music stores.

King

There are much more :).
Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac, Burn Zombie Burn, Bi.Trip.Beat and Runner etc etc.
The Problem is, you can't search for it. They count as DLC, but the client has no official soundtrack support yet as in beeing able to download it seperatly and directly listening to it through Steam etc. You have to search for it on your HDD and add it to your fav. music player or moving it to a different directory etc.

edit:
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=#term=soundtrack&category1=21&advanced=0&sort_order=ASC&page=1
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:40:58 pm by Scorcher24 »

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 01:41:39 pm »
Haha, to be perfectly honest, I didn't even know you could sell soundtracks on Steam!

As for the HQ tracks in the actual game, they're exported at such a high rate that putting them in the game would make download time for new users a nightmare. We ran into problems with this with our puzzle game "Tidalis". People were complaining that the download time was too long, and it was all due to the file size of the tracks.

But, that being said, I try my best to make the quality of the in-game music as best as it can be without having gigantic file sizes!

The only game I've seen sell an OST on Steam was Sanctum, but yes, it seems that you can sell the OST as a premium DLC pack. :)  Mostly, devs tend to sell it on their website/popular music stores.

King

There are much more :).
Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac, Burn Zombie Burn, Bi.Trip.Beat and Runner etc etc.
The Problem is, you can't search for it. They count as DLC, but the client has no official soundtrack support yet as in beeing able to download it seperatly and directly listening to it through Steam etc. You have to search for it on your HDD and add it to your fav. music player or moving it to a different directory etc.

Never heard of Burn Zombie Burn, and as far as the rest of them, well, I got the OSTs through the Game Music Bundle that came out a while back so I never bothered to look for those on steam :D.  So it doesn't surprise me that more than just Sanctum has the OSTs on Steam :).

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Zair

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Tooth Spawner Mk IV
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 11:51:19 pm »
Bought Vol. 1 just now. (Bandcamp is goooood at this.)

I'm really hoping there'll be a Vol2 someday with a HQ version of Special Mission. :)

Offline PVega8

• Arcen Games Composer
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 12:03:22 am »
Sure is! It's in the works right now, and Special Mission HQ is definitely on it.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Jerebaldo1

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 03:43:10 pm »
This is amazing! I bought it so fast my billing information challenged special relativity.

Favoritest line ever!

Offline Zair

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Tooth Spawner Mk IV
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 06:52:43 pm »
I tried an experiment.

It was a success.

The HQ tracks, converted into .ogg files, work ingame.

The end result is AWESOME.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 11:04:23 pm »
I tried an experiment.

It was a success.

The HQ tracks, converted into .ogg files, work ingame.

The end result is AWESOME.

Oooooooo, that is a good idea.

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Tobias

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 05:40:07 am »

This made me laugh pretty hard, also made me very pleased that I could download one lossless copy and one in .ogg to replace the game files with without having to convert it myself.

Also when are you gonna release the other 34 music files in .flac. My ears need that to live.

Also, if I can make a recommendation, do a remix of the Labyrinth track with a focus on the breakdown section at 1:19, that part is killer but the rest of the song is not as good and also feels like it's on a different scale.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:50:15 pm by Tobias »

Offline The Mimic

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 02:35:55 am »
Any chance Dark World Waltz will be on Vol 2? I'm incredibly fond of that one!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 06:01:34 pm »
I love bandcamp for their humor :P Though I wouldn't exactly classify OGG Vorbis as something for audiophiles. It's objectively better than MP3, even at 320 kbps. FLAC is pure love if you have a proper soundset, but for regular headphones, meh :P
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 06:37:09 pm »
Holy effing pantherpaws! I just listened to the tunes on the website and then side-by-side compared it to the in game music. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Okay, we need part two ASAP so I can buy both!

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 09:35:39 am »
I love bandcamp for their humor :P Though I wouldn't exactly classify OGG Vorbis as something for audiophiles. It's objectively better than MP3, even at 320 kbps. FLAC is pure love if you have a proper soundset, but for regular headphones, meh :P

Objectively? I'm not sure about that, depending on the type of music it is. Strings tend to have so much depth that there's no way any digital medium could capture it all, so the more that gets captured the better. But, the more electronic the music gets, the less this tends to be true.

I've found that with most sound systems that most people have, an MP3 at VBR0 is nearly indistinguishable from Vorbis q9 files.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 12:36:45 pm »
Well, I wasn't referring so much to listening experience as the low level technical parts of it. The compression MP3 uses causes artifacts (granted, only on qualities below 192) while I've never heard Vorbis cause those artifacts, even at abysmal quality.

Though if one is truly an audiophile, FLAC is likely the way to go.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 01:27:24 pm »
Well, I wasn't referring so much to listening experience as the low level technical parts of it. The compression MP3 uses causes artifacts (granted, only on qualities below 192) while I've never heard Vorbis cause those artifacts, even at abysmal quality.

Though if one is truly an audiophile, FLAC is likely the way to go.

Ahhh, in that case, they are objectively better then, yes. :)

Also, FLAC are nice, but boy are they HUGE.

Offline The Mimic

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 05:17:10 am »
Would I be misguided to expect a Volume 2, given AVWW2 and the new music in there as well as new music added since the last volume? This is all really good stuff and I'd love to have high quality versions, and to show my support.

AbandonedTown1/2 are both amazing, still. That piano!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk