Author Topic: A Valley Without Wind: Getting Started Guide  (Read 15944 times)

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: A Valley Without Wind: Getting Started Guide
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 03:30:37 pm »
Er, how do I get from the sideview mode back onto the world map? I'm getting bored of endlessly running through snow

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 03:34:38 pm »
What do the white bars at the top of rooms on the dungeon map mean? Is there a legend somewhere for the various colors etc?

White bars mean that it leads to another room through a vent. They may lead to completely disconnected rooms, or they may lead to eachother. As for the colors, if you aren't sure, you can hover over the room in the dungeon map to get a tooltip, it will tell you exactly what the room is.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 03:36:06 pm »
Er, how do I get from the sideview mode back onto the world map? I'm getting bored of endlessly running through snow

You can use a warp scroll to warp back to the original chunk in the region (where you first entered from the world map) then just simply walk back out of the chunk.

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 03:37:07 pm »
ah ha, thanks.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 03:41:54 pm »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 03:50:08 pm »
What do the white bars at the top of rooms on the dungeon map mean? Is there a legend somewhere for the various colors etc?

The white bars are secret passages (side links) to other rooms.  If you hover over any given node in the map, the tooltip tells you all about what's going on with that node.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 04:19:54 pm »

White bars mean that the room has a "side door" to go to another room that isn't above/below it in the usual hierarchy. It could be anywhere.

Black bars at the bottom mean you haven't visited.

There's no key (yet). You can mouse over and see what the room means, though, and figure it out that way.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 04:26:08 pm »
There's no key (yet). You can mouse over and see what the room means, though, and figure it out that way.

That... would be the key. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline syndicatedragon

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 07:32:18 pm »
What does a red "X" mean on the world map?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 07:34:29 pm »
What does a red "X" mean on the world map?

A resource deposit you haven't yet liberated -- there's monsters guarding it still.

Offline Cicadalek

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 05:03:07 am »
Speaking of resources, is there any easy way to get large quantities of them without just manually harvesting? I want to build a granite mine, but I spent a lot of granite on houses / farms etc and now I don't have enough. I know you can find granite outcrops underground, but they only drop small amounts and I need like 27 more.

Offline c4sc4

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 01:49:46 pm »
Speaking of resources, is there any easy way to get large quantities of them without just manually harvesting? I want to build a granite mine, but I spent a lot of granite on houses / farms etc and now I don't have enough. I know you can find granite outcrops underground, but they only drop small amounts and I need like 27 more.

You could have you NPCs destroy the rocks in the settlement map, each one of those gives 10 granite.

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 09:17:45 pm »
Are the only rooms on the Dungeon map that have resources in them yellow colored, or can any room have resources in it?  I am just trying to get a better handle on what information scouting gives me (without actually going into the rooms themselves).

Offline Commiesalami

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 10:15:35 pm »
Are the only rooms on the Dungeon map that have resources in them yellow colored, or can any room have resources in it?  I am just trying to get a better handle on what information scouting gives me (without actually going into the rooms themselves).

Every room save for the first room you enter (unless you go in a side entrance and wind up above the bottom row on your map) will have a single item in it, generally a potion or a pack of shards.  There are two types of yellow rooms that could appear, the more common one is a stash that has all sorts of goodies in them.  The other type of yellow rooms are studies or Libraries these used to hold profession book till those got taken out, now they just hold a large amount of shards.  The fact that studies are still yellow might be an oversight, ill post that up on mantis.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 10:27:02 am »
This guide is now superceded by its replacement!

http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,9489.0.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk